Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I am in year 9 and am choosing my final GCSE options in the next few weeks. I am in set 1 for Science, set 1 for English and set 2 for maths. Generally, across Science, Maths and English I achieve high level 7's.

For GCSE, these subjects are compulsory at my school:
    Maths (I could get A)
    Double Science
    English lit and lang (I could get A)
    RE (I could get A/B)

For my options I have chosen:
    French (I could get A)
    Triple Science (biology, chemistry, physics) (I could get A*/A/A)
    Art (I could get A)

I have one more option to choose between geography and resistant materials. I prefer RM, and feel I would be more likely to achieve an a/a*, than geography which I don't enjoy as much and am not as good at (perhaps B if I work hard?). However I appreciate it is a good 'hard' subject and RM isn't, but I might have to work really hard at it to achieve an A or B, when I really want to concentrate on Science, and could easily get an A in RM. My mum says Geography, but I'm not sure. I am interested in going into medicine but am certainly not aiming at oxford or cambridge etc! Which one do I take? What are my chances of getting into medicine with each? Does it even make that much difference at GCSE? Any extra advice?
    THANK YOU!
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

(Original post by elliechicken)
    Hi,
    I am in year 9 and am choosing my final GCSE options in the next few weeks. I am in set 1 for Science, set 1 for English and set 2 for maths. Generally, across Science, Maths and English I achieve high level 7's.

Maths (I could get A)
    Double Science
    RE (I could get A/B)

French (I could get A)
    Art (I could get A)

I have one more option to choose between geography and resistant materials. I prefer RM, and feel I would be more likely to achieve an a/a*, than geography which I don't enjoy as much and am not as good at (perhaps B if I work hard?). However I appreciate it is a good 'hard' subject and RM isn't, but I might have to work really hard at it to achieve an A or B, when I really want to concentrate on Science, and could easily get an A in RM. My mum says Geography, but I'm not sure. I am interested in going into medicine but am certainly not aiming at oxford or cambridge etc! Which one do I take? What are my chances of getting into medicine with each? Does it even make that much difference at GCSE? Any extra advice?
    THANK YOU!
    It doesn't matter which you take, either are fine. I suggest you do the one you enjoy more as you're more likely to do well in subjects that you have a greater passion for.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Honestly...it doesn't matter. Universities don't care that much you have all the standard ones now just pick what you'll actually like!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Maths (I could get A)
    Double Science
    RE (I could get A/B)

French (I could get A)
    Art (I could get A)

THANK YOU!
    Take whichever one you prefer, i did geography at GCSE and it was the most boring subject i took so I would go for the one you enjoy, I only got 1 A* at gcse and I start medical school this September so it just shows grades are not everything, just try your hardest, I would say focus on your voluntary and extra curricular attributes when you come to apply, as this is what most medical schools are looking for, best of luck

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much these are really helpful. Also, thanks 06shawm because that makes me feel so much more confident! I'm so scared I will get loads of b's and be turned down. My mum doesn't really think I can do it but I really want to do medicine!

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't matter- choose what you enjoy and what you think you can do best in. With medical schools, there are some that place loads of emphasis on GCSE's and some that put less than 4% weighting on them- so depending on how you do, you can choose which universities to apply to!

I'm going to medical school this year, and a friend of mine who is also going got 8B's and 4A's- so A*'s are not essential! Good call on the triple science though- I'm sure you'll do brilliantly if you're set on medicine already!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    Take whichever one you prefer, i did geography at GCSE and it was the most boring subject i took so I would go for the one you enjoy, I only got 1 A* at gcse and I start medical school this September so it just shows grades are not everything, just try your hardest, I would say focus on your voluntary and extra curricular attributes when you come to apply, as this is what most medical schools are looking for, best of luck
    What university?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maxmeisterrr)
    What university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Manchester

ReputationRep:
    It really doesn't matter what you do do courses that set you up for the A Level subjects you need - Biology, Chemistry, Maths are a MUST and also a language would be good to have, so include that in your GCSE options. Either Geography or History is really, really good to have as they show you are a well-rounded student. Taking a subject at A Level that isn't maths/science based is also very good to have, so when choosing GCSEs make sure you could have a potential subject to take to AS that is arty - so GCSE Art would be great to have Lit is also good, and personally Psychology GCSE is so much fun and I think it goes well with science subjects

Good luck!! Work hard at science and maths and you'll be fine
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter. Both RM and Geography are great GCSE subjects. I wouldn't call RM a soft subject (it's pretty hard to get an A* in design technology subjects) so go with the one you like most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06shawm)
    Manchester
    Nice

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    If you get A's in Maths, Triple science and English (Lang and/or Lit)and then have total of around 6+ A's, no medical school cares if you get the rest of your A's from RM or geography.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Maths (I could get A)
    Double Science
    RE (I could get A/B)

French (I could get A)
    Art (I could get A)

THANK YOU!
    It doesn't matter at all what you take for GCSE as long as you get minimum grade of a C in a foreign language and minimum of a B in English and Maths. I did Maths, English lang/lit, Spanish, art, geography, triple science and Philosophy&Ethics for GCSE and I am currently studying my A levels to go on and do Medicine. As long as you chose the right A levels, you will be able to study medicine.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.