Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I want to apply for a loan to pay for my LPC, there are professional and career development loans but they only offer me £10,000 but the course itself is £14000 in London (I do plan to keep my job during the LPC to cover living expenses, so I only need the full amount for the course itself).

If I go through BPP Law School, I can get a loan with Investec bank if I do the full-time course but I was hoping to do it part-time (so that I am able to work) which means I don't quality for that loan.

So, if I just wanted to get a regular personal loan and I told the bank that it was for a course, do you think they would give it to me for that purpose?

ReputationRep:
    I know that BPP's loan gives you extra on top of the loan amount you need - something like 20%. Would it be possible to live off that and do the course full time? Guessing probably not but thought I would suggest it!

As far as I'm aware graduate loans offered by most high street banks are for people who have secured work and just want to take a few months out before starting, for example they use the money to go travelling. I think in this case they would ask that you show proof that you have a job lined up - have you secured a training contract or anything like that? As you only need £4,000 you may get lucky and get approved by someone for a loan, however you need to remember that the repayment holiday will most likely end before you finish your studies and so you need to have the means to pay it back every month.

As you want to do it part time, have you looked at when you would have to make the payments. You've said that you'll be able to get the £10k career development loan, so is it not possible to use £7,000 of this in the first year to pay your fees, and then save up the remaining £4,000 through your job? I think you can do it in even smaller installments, so it might be that you have say 16 months to save this up, which is just £250 a month (probably the same that you'd be paying for a bank loan).

The only other option I can think of is for you to take a year out and apply for training contracts. A lot of the big London firms will pay your course fees and give you money each month to live on. Plus, most people agree that it's not the best idea to self fund the LPC anyway, but obviously it's your choice.

Hope I've helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    I know that BPP's loan gives you extra on top of the loan amount you need - something like 20%. Would it be possible to live off that and do the course full time? Guessing probably not but thought I would suggest it!

As far as I'm aware graduate loans offered by most high street banks are for people who have secured work and just want to take a few months out before starting, for example they use the money to go travelling. I think in this case they would ask that you show proof that you have a job lined up - have you secured a training contract or anything like that? As you only need £4,000 you may get lucky and get approved by someone for a loan, however you need to remember that the repayment holiday will most likely end before you finish your studies and so you need to have the means to pay it back every month.

As you want to do it part time, have you looked at when you would have to make the payments. You've said that you'll be able to get the £10k career development loan, so is it not possible to use £7,000 of this in the first year to pay your fees, and then save up the remaining £4,000 through your job? I think you can do it in even smaller installments, so it might be that you have say 16 months to save this up, which is just £250 a month (probably the same that you'd be paying for a bank loan).

The only other option I can think of is for you to take a year out and apply for training contracts. A lot of the big London firms will pay your course fees and give you money each month to live on. Plus, most people agree that it's not the best idea to self fund the LPC anyway, but obviously it's your choice.

Hope I've helped
    Thanks for your help Just a bit of background though: I'll have already had two years out by the time I start the course I'm already a graduate. I work full-time for a bank at the moment but I feel like if I leave it too much longer I'll never get into law, so I just want to take the risk now and get a loan. My credit rating should be fairly good as I have store cards, a credit card and a phone contract, and I've never been late making payments. I still have quite a few months yet to get it even better and also to save more money. But I was just wondering if I might be able to get a regular (non-graduate/law loan) to pay for the course. I mean, as I work for the bank I might get a better APR than the professional and career development loan because I'd be able to get a staff discount as well. I know I would have to start repaying it during the course rather than after the course has ended but if I'm working (and my partner has said he'll help me out as well), I should be fine.

I'm able to save beforehand but I've also done a budget based on my current income and expenditure that I will be able to pay £260/m back so I can't really get a loan higher than £12,000 anyway otherwise I might not be able to afford the repayments, but that's fine as I already have a few thousand saved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    Thanks for your help Just a bit of background though: I'll have already had two years out by the time I start the course I'm already a graduate. I work full-time for a bank at the moment but I feel like if I leave it too much longer I'll never get into law, so I just want to take the risk now and get a loan. My credit rating should be fairly good as I have store cards, a credit card and a phone contract, and I've never been late making payments. I still have quite a few months yet to get it even better and also to save more money. But I was just wondering if I might be able to get a regular (non-graduate/law loan) to pay for the course. I mean, as I work for the bank I might get a better APR than the professional and career development loan because I'd be able to get a staff discount as well. I know I would have to start repaying it during the course rather than after the course has ended but if I'm working (and my partner has said he'll help me out as well), I should be fine.

I'm able to save beforehand but I've also done a budget based on my current income and expenditure that I will be able to pay £260/m back so I can't really get a loan higher than £12,000 anyway otherwise I might not be able to afford the repayments, but that's fine as I already have a few thousand saved.
    In that case then I'm sure you'll be able to get a bank loan. You'd know better than me what with working in a bank but could you cheekily take out the loan while you're still working so that you know you'll definitely be approved?

By the way, do you think you will go to BPP? I've accepted a place at BPP Waterloo to study the GDL in September Where do you live?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sazzy890)
    I want to apply for a loan to pay for my LPC, there are professional and career development loans but they only offer me £10,000 but the course itself is £14000 in London (I do plan to keep my job during the LPC to cover living expenses, so I only need the full amount for the course itself).

If I go through BPP Law School, I can get a loan with Investec bank if I do the full-time course but I was hoping to do it part-time (so that I am able to work) which means I don't quality for that loan.

So, if I just wanted to get a regular personal loan and I told the bank that it was for a course, do you think they would give it to me for that purpose?
    With BPP you can use the Investec loan for part time courses now too!

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.