TheWolf
nice choice mate, i would do morse if i could cope with it

Wolfy what course u doing? and where?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
mg84
Just sent my reply to UCAS with MORSE as my firm choice, thank you for all the responses. Now to do the Warwick Accommodation form!

:biggrin:

Good choice; I doubt you would regret it (unless you find MORSE too hard)

I am putting down MORSE as my firm choice too... so hopefully if I get my grades i'll be on the same course as you!!!
mg84
I've just checked my UCAS application and have finally got an unconditional offer for MORSE (Mathematics, Operational Research, Statistics & Economics) at Warwick. I'm definitely going to study there, but I now have the dilemma of choosing which course I want to do there as I already have an offer for Economics at Warwick. I'm sure I'd enjoy both degrees so I guess the decision shouldn't matter that much, but I still have no idea what to do and both course seem to have equal pros and cons. Any opinions on the courses or suggestions on how people have gone about making their final decision would be much appreciated.

:confused:

I do MORSE at warwick. be prepared to work your little arse off because it's pretty tough & very different to A-level maths.
Reply 23
HamaL
Wolfy what course u doing? and where?

im not at uni yet - applying for 2005, applying for both straight economics and economics and finance
Reply 24
S1M
Good choice; I doubt you would regret it (unless you find MORSE too hard)

I am putting down MORSE as my firm choice too... so hopefully if I get my grades i'll be on the same course as you!!!

Hopefully see you there then! Where are you from? What accommodation are you applying for? It's nice to find someone that is actually going to be on the course next year, as all the people I met on the Open Day were deferring entry and going for gap years. I'll probably find MORSE difficult to begin with because I haven't done that much academic study since my A levels last year, but I'll be revising my Maths & Stats in preparation.

LittleMinx
I do MORSE at warwick. be prepared to work your little arse off because it's pretty tough & very different to A-level maths.

I'll look forward to it. Will be nice to exercise my brain again, as the accounts work I've been doing on my year out hasn't exactly been challenging! What do you think of the course? What makes it so different from A Level? (Not that I mind that either!)

:smile:
Reply 25
mg84
Hopefully see you there then! Where are you from? What accommodation are you applying for? It's nice to find someone that is actually going to be on the course next year, as all the people I met on the Open Day were deferring entry and going for gap years. I'll probably find MORSE difficult to begin with because I haven't done that much academic study since my A levels last year, but I'll be revising my Maths & Stats in preparation.

I'm from London (Leytonstone)

Accommodation... well I haven't looked into it much (haven't got all my offers so havent sent of firm choice, waiting for UCL offer/rejection and for UCAS to update with Birmingham offer), but I liked Jack Martin (ensuite) in the open day tour.

I might not get onto the course if I miss my grades :frown:
If I miss my grades what do you think is better:
a) BSc in Maths and Economics @ LSE (ABB required)
or
b) MSci in Maths @ Imperial (ABBb required)
???
I am pretty sure I can get these grades (but unsure if I can manage to get the MORSE grades AAA or AABa) but I havent got a clue which one would be better. Was leaning towards Imperial because LSE isn't that good in maths but now I am unsure as the LSE course might be more employable with higher potential pay as LSE is harder to get into...???

I wouldn't worry too much about finding it difficult, usually the 1st year is easier because not everyone has done economics/stats/OR... but I suppose its best to revise your A level stuff so u aint totally clueless when it starts... if you have that thickish white MORSE handbook it tells you in quite high detail what you (and hopefully I) will be learning in the 1st year so you can revise the stuff most relevent to the course.
Reply 26
S1M
I'm from London (Leytonstone)

Accommodation... well I haven't looked into it much (haven't got all my offers so havent sent of firm choice, waiting for UCL offer/rejection and for UCAS to update with Birmingham offer), but I liked Jack Martin (ensuite) in the open day tour.

I might not get onto the course if I miss my grades :frown:
If I miss my grades what do you think is better:
a) BSc in Maths and Economics @ LSE (ABB required)
or
b) MSci in Maths @ Imperial (ABBb required)
???
I am pretty sure I can get these grades (but unsure if I can manage to get the MORSE grades AAA or AABa) but I havent got a clue which one would be better. Was leaning towards Imperial because LSE isn't that good in maths but now I am unsure as the LSE course might be more employable with higher potential pay as LSE is harder to get into...???

I wouldn't worry too much about finding it difficult, usually the 1st year is easier because not everyone has done economics/stats/OR... but I suppose its best to revise your A level stuff so u aint totally clueless when it starts... if you have that thickish white MORSE handbook it tells you in quite high detail what you (and hopefully I) will be learning in the 1st year so you can revise the stuff most relevent to the course.

maths and economics at lse would be my choice, i might apply for it next year
Reply 27
TheWolf
maths and economics at lse would be my choice, i might apply for it next year

the only thing that worrys me is that LSE is worse in maths compared to imperial
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13429,00.html
LSE gets 4 in stats (no rating in pure or applied... might mean that they don't do pure/applied at all!!!) but then again it gets 5* for economics...
Imperial gets 2 x 5*s and a 5 which seems much better for maths...

I dont want to end up doing stats for half the time at LSE so ill have to see how the options and the composition of maths/stats/economics in the course..

well i have an open day at LSE soon so i'll have to see what I think of it after and decide then

thanks for your opinion wolf
I doubt many people would regard LSE as particularly harder to get into than Imperial. There are hoards of people who worship LSE on here, but I'm pretty that in the real world any difference between the two is minimal.
Reply 29
TheWolf
nice choice mate, i would do morse if i could cope with it

ive gone for the economics and math course....how diff is its course content from MORSE?and are the job prospects good after??!!!
Reply 30
iris
ive gone for the economics and math course....how diff is its course content from MORSE?and are the job prospects good after??!!!

not much diffrence...depends on what uni but MORSE and maths and eco are pretty much the same...
Reply 31
LittleMinx

:eek: :eek: a-level further maths is already killing me! :mad:

S1M
A-Level subjects are:
Maths
Physics
Economics

AS-Level subjects are:
Further Maths

what are they asking from ur AS f maths? i've got an AAA/AAB offer too, depending on what i get in the end for further maths.. :rolleyes:
Reply 32
yummybecks
what are they asking from ur AS f maths? i've got an AAA/AAB offer too, depending on what i get in the end for further maths.. :rolleyes:

If I get AAA it doesn't matter what I get in AS further maths. If I get AAB I need an A in AS f maths to get a place.

Quote from UCAS website on my offer:
Obtain grades AAA at A-Level in 3 subjects including

Mathematics, OR obtain grade A at A-Level in Mathematics

and obtain grades AB at A-Level in 2 other subjects and

obtain grade A at AS-Level in Further Mathematics. These

offers exclude General Studies
Reply 33
so i take it everyone doing MORSE will be brilliant at maths then.. :eek:
Reply 34
yummybecks
so i take it everyone doing MORSE will be brilliant at maths then.. :eek:

Well most people will be at different levels (coz of diff examination boards too), so they must start of with easy stuff and everyone will be at a closer level of competence in maths in no time... But as this is a AAA course I would expect everyone to be start off as pretty good at maths. I would'nt worry about it too much yet...

so are you planning on going there to do morse? ur doing AS further maths too?
Reply 35
Any of yoy guys know how easy it will to change to MORSE?

I've had a look round on the Open day last yr but the admission tutor said unless i got AAA or an AAB plus A in AS f.maths i shouldnt apply. So i didnt. I am having to teach myself f.maths as the school doesnt accomodate for it...but warwick wouldnt shift the offer.

After i got my Jan exam results back it appears i should get an A in the AS as long as i get 75% in the last paper (d1 - the easiest of the lot ! :smile: )

I have got a place for General Engineering (@ warwick - currently my firm offer) and if i meet that offer then i will also have the required grades to get onto MORSE....

Is it easy to get onto MORSE at the start of the new term ?

Thanks in advance,

Chud.
Reply 36
S1M
so are you planning on going there to do morse? ur doing AS further maths too?

yeah i made it my firm choice last month.. soton as my insurance.. after the mocks, i'm doubtful about obtaining my A in further maths tho, so i've pretty much prepared myself for the worst :redface: .. i'm doing a straight A-level.. two papers, 3 hours each! :mad:

chud
Is it easy to get onto MORSE at the start of the new term ?

i've got a friend who has her mind set on warwick, so she applied to two courses there, hoping if she got rejected for the one she wanted, she'd be able to transfer once she got there.. but she's talked to both the admissions tutor and the international office, and things don't look very good.. i think it's for politics and international studies or something like that, i don't know how that compares to MORSE, but i should think MORSE is a very competitive subject - i suppose it'd be rather difficult.. :frown: it'd be best if you asked whoever's in charge of things like that in warwick
Reply 37
chud
Any of yoy guys know how easy it will to change to MORSE?

They did tell us that they do take ppl from Maths & stats into morse... probably coz they are very similar courses and in the same department. However, it would be tougher to change if you are doing something in another dept so it would be best to email them and ask. Personally, I don't think they will allow it unless they have a fair number of empty places, but there is always a chance. Either way its best to email them and ask ASAP so if there is a few places going, u will be one of the first in line to take it.

There is quite a few potential morse'ers here now... Hopefully I will see most of you guys there!!!
Reply 38
S1M
They did tell us that they do take ppl from Maths & stats into morse... probably coz they are very similar courses and in the same department. However, it would be tougher to change if you are doing something in another dept so it would be best to email them and ask. Personally, I don't think they will allow it unless they have a fair number of empty places, but there is always a chance. Either way its best to email them and ask ASAP so if there is a few places going, u will be one of the first in line to take it.

There is quite a few potential morse'ers here now... Hopefully I will see most of you guys there!!!

Erm i dont wanna change just yet. Problem is - i applied for a sponsership for a Engineering company. its TOO good to pass up so if i dont get it then i will hope to swap. I can always re-apply through UCAS next yr....not that much of a problem....
Reply 39
chud
Erm i dont wanna change just yet. Problem is - i applied for a sponsership for a Engineering company. its TOO good to pass up so if i dont get it then i will hope to swap. I can always re-apply through UCAS next yr....not that much of a problem....

Still theres no harm in enquiring about it; and then you will know for sure if you don't get your sponsorship whether you can do it or not. Then contact them again if you don't get your sponsorship actually asking them if you can do it. or if you do get your sponsorship then congrats and you haven't got anything to worry about.

Good luck with your sponsorship.

Latest

Trending

Trending