The Student Room Group

Maths in first year

Hey I was just wondering whether doing a full a-level in maths in year 12 would be looked down upon by universities. At first i always thought by doing my A level maths in the first year plus AEA, hopefully getting an A* in maths and merit in AEA, surely this would boost my personal statement by a heck of a lot. But recently I heard that some universities dont like the idea of you sitting it all in your first year so i was wondering why they wouldn't approve of it?
Original post by Albino
Hey I was just wondering whether doing a full a-level in maths in year 12 would be looked down upon by universities. At first i always thought by doing my A level maths in the first year plus AEA, hopefully getting an A* in maths and merit in AEA, surely this would boost my personal statement by a heck of a lot.

It may have the opposite effect. It depends how many other subjects you will be doing in year 13 and whether they have significant mathematical content.
Reply 2
Original post by Albino
Hey I was just wondering whether doing a full a-level in maths in year 12 would be looked down upon by universities. At first i always thought by doing my A level maths in the first year plus AEA, hopefully getting an A* in maths and merit in AEA, surely this would boost my personal statement by a heck of a lot.

AEA in Y13?

As long as you are doing 3 A Levels too that should be no problem

For some AEA + 2 A Levels in Y13 will be ok but not for all
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
It may have the opposite effect. It depends how many other subjects you will be doing in year 13 and whether they have significant mathematical content.

Original post by TenOfThem
AEA in Y13?

As long as you are doing 3 A Levels too that should be no problem

For some AEA + 2 A Levels in Y13 will be ok but not for all

AEA in year 12, because we would of learned all the content in it by the end of the year, and even if we do terribly we don't have to mention it on our personal statement. I'd be doing all of further maths next year (excluding 2 applied modules which im doing this june) and im doing physics and chemistry normally (over the 2 years). So by doing this would there be a chance that my conditional offer could be reduced? Assuming I do as well as i hope in AEA and Maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Albino
AEA in year 12, because we would of learned all the content in it by the end of the year, and even if we do terribly we don't have to mention it on our personal statement. I'd be doing all of further maths next year (excluding 2 applied modules which im doing this june) and im doing physics and chemistry normally (over the 2 years). So by doing this would there be a chance that my conditional offer could be reduced? Assuming I do as well as i hope in AEA and Maths.

So, you are taking FM in Y13

In that case ... you are doing what many people do every year

Why would your offer be reduced? I am not sure why you think that
Reply 5
Original post by Albino
Hey I was just wondering whether doing a full a-level in maths in year 12 would be looked down upon by universities. At first i always thought by doing my A level maths in the first year plus AEA, hopefully getting an A* in maths and merit in AEA, surely this would boost my personal statement by a heck of a lot. But recently I heard that some universities dont like the idea of you sitting it all in your first year so i was wondering why they wouldn't approve of it?

Further Maths (FM) is good to gain a further understanding into maths, you will cover a lot of the stuff you did in further maths in the first term of university.
If you really want to do maths at uni, take maths and further maths and another mathematical science.
Reply 6
So, you are taking FM in Y13

In that case ... you are doing what many people do every year

Why would your offer be reduced? I am not sure why you think that

Because by the time I have to apply for Universities, I would already have met their requirements (hopefully) for the maths based course, so would they still bother including that in the offer or would they just look at my other 3 a-levels? I though it might be reduced because say for example you need A*AB to get into the uni, with A* in maths. Having already achieved that A* would the offer be for example AAB in my remaining 3 a-levels i need to take?
Original post by Albino

That sounds ok. Don't do AEA early unless you are going to get a distinction - there is no advantage.
Reply 8
Original post by Albino
Because by the time I have to apply for Universities, I would already have met their requirements (hopefully) for the maths based course, so would they still bother including that in the offer or would they just look at my other 3 a-levels? I though it might be reduced because say for example you need A*AB to get into the uni, with A* in maths. Having already achieved that A* would the offer be for example AAB in my remaining 3 a-levels i need to take?

I see

If they want A*AB as in your example

Some may say AB in Y13 ... simply using your A*
Some may say A*A*AB ... expecting the Y13 grades to meet the original grades (rare)
Some may say A* + 3 appropriate grades e.g. AAB or ABB

I do not see any of these as a reduction in the offer
Reply 9
Original post by Mr M
That sounds ok. Don't do AEA early unless you are going to get a distinction - there is no advantage.

Thanks! and oh right, not even to put on my personal statement as a merit? Assuming that it's not needed for any of the requirements for the universities.
I see

If they want A*AB as in your example

Some may say AB in Y13 ... simply using your A*
Some may say A*A*AB ... expecting the Y13 grades to meet the original grades (rare)
Some may say A* + 3 appropriate grades e.g. AAB or ABB

I do not see any of these as a reduction in the offer

Cheers! lets just hope its not the second option then lol. So do you reckon it would be wise to cash in my a level maths at the end of year 13? That way it would mean that i would only need the AB in Yr13, or do you think it would make me stand out a little if universities knew i got the A* in yr 12.
Original post by Albino
Thanks! and oh right, not even to put on my personal statement as a merit? Assuming that it's not needed for any of the requirements for the universities.

Cheers! lets just hope its not the second option then lol. So do you reckon it would be wise to cash in my a level maths at the end of year 13? That way it would mean that i would only need the AB in Yr13, or do you think it would make me stand out a little if universities knew i got the A* in yr 12.

Your A Level will be re-aggregated at the end of Year 13 anyway in order to unlock your modules and maximise your FM grade.

None of the things you are suggesting are going to make you stand out. All they could do is make you look unexceptional if you fail to achieve the highest possible grades.
Original post by Albino

Depends what you are wanting to do at university ... if Maths then get the grade in Y12 but definitely continue with some maths in Y13
Original post by Albino

The problem with having an A* in Maths in year 12 is that it's not that special - what I mean by this is that a large number of schools (especially private ones and grammars) structure their A Levels by doing the whole of A Level Maths in year 12 and the whole of Further in year 13. In addition, this only really shows that you're a better applicant than someone else who has also sat the entire thing and got a lower grade - for example, there's nothing to say you're better than someone who has A grades at AS Maths and Further Maths and is taking both A2's in year 13, just that your school teaches things in a different order. Whilst obviously having the required grade will be advantageous it will be no more advantageous than someone with equivalent grades at AS who's learned it differently, because it's impossible to judge. Your offer technically wouldn't change; part of it would simply have already been met.
Original post by Albino

Don't go for the AEA. STEP is way more interesting :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest