Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i need to self study BIOL4 and BIOL5 for my exam in June My problem is I am not sure of the best book to use. I thought it would be the Nelson Thomas book which most schools use. But after looking at it at a friends and reading many reviews there is too much unnecessary information involved which is time consuming and doesn't produce results. Someone on amazon reviewed

http://www.amazon.co.uk/AQA-Biology-...3371534&sr=1-1

However, the book has a couple of fundamental flaws:

1. Too much information. If you want brief, quick-fire points then look elsewhere. There is a lot of waffle that won't necessarily be tested in the exam (this was confirmed by an AQA examiner in a talk we received).
    2. No answers to the examination-style questions. In my opinion, there's no point doing questions that you can't check whether you're right or not. If you want the answers to these, you're going to have to seek them out yourself by siphoning through past AQA exam papers.

So im a bit wary as to what to do if anyone could recommend me some good books for self studying or websites that will each me the syllabus sufficient enough for a B grade this would be a life saver thanks !!

ReputationRep:
    CPG revision guide is perfect! Got me an A at AS

ReputationRep:
    Use CGP I used nelson Thomas for my first exam and revised so much but still only got a B there's just too much information! I'm now using CGP and finding it much easier as it has much less to learn but enough to answer the exam questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bc1)
    CPG revision guide is perfect! Got me an A at AS
    Really i used it for as but it was like a quarter of the size of the nelson thomson so thought there wasnt enough information and only managed a C (although i was lazy so was very last min) did you use any other books or resources thanks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheScientist_)
    Use CGP I used nelson Thomas for my first exam and revised so much but still only got a B there's just too much information! I'm now using CGP and finding it much easier as it has much less to learn but enough to answer the exam questions

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really! When you say first exam are you talking about Your AS or BIOL4 ? And is cgp all your using now its just im going to be learning a lot of it from scratch so if i use cgp and past papers you reckon it would be suggificient enough for a B thanks ?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/AS-Level-Bio...3425939&sr=8-6

I have the OCR version for my course and minus the couple of mistakes I've found, it's really good. I got an A in my January unit using it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyLH)

I have the OCR version for my course and minus the couple of mistakes I've found, it's really good. I got an A in my January unit using it
    Do you know if that is any similar to this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biolog...3426246&sr=1-2

Because I bought this at the beginning of AS and then the later version came out..and I didn't bother buying the second one..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yumnaarrhhh)
    Do you know if that is any similar to this?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Level-Biolog...3426246&sr=1-2

Because I bought this at the beginning of AS and then the later version came out..and I didn't bother buying the second one..
    I'm not sure I think yours is more of a revision guide :confused: The other one is a proper textbook and is quite thick (257 pages for AS, 280 for A2).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyLH)
    I'm not sure I think yours is more of a revision guide :confused: The other one is a proper textbook and is quite thick (257 pages for AS, 280 for A2).
    Yeah I just realised, yours is a textbook and mine is more a revision guide.
    I think mine is probably just a condensed version of yours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adl91)
    Really! When you say first exam are you talking about Your AS or BIOL4 ? And is cgp all your using now its just im going to be learning a lot of it from scratch so if i use cgp and past papers you reckon it would be suggificient enough for a B thanks ?
    Yeah it was AS unit 1 biology and disease. And all I use now is CGP and I'm going to start past papers when I've gone through all the book

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheScientist_)
    Yeah it was AS unit 1 biology and disease. And all I use now is CGP and I'm going to start past papers when I've gone through all the book

Posted from TSR Mobile
    oh okay well i might buy the cgp revision guide and Nelson Thoms sadly because although cgp sounds great im studying from home so will be learning everything from scratch so dont want too miss out any information sounds like Nelson Thomas has too much but if it has everything hopefully I can get a good grade using both together good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmyLH)

I read a few reviews on amazon it sounds good although its as long as the Nelson Thomas and some people were saying it may need another book to aid it so i might have to buy a few thanks though

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.