Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

hello. im new to this room, and im in absolute need for your ideas, i feel worthless Watch

I am resitting year 13, because i didnt get the grades i hoped to do. i did get an offer last year for psychology, however declined it, because i didnt want my a level grades to stick to me like this. just to highlight, my a level grades were as follows:

A, C, C, D, E.

i know its ridiculous, and i feel so sick. i feel ashamed of myself, feel so bad because i let my family down. my friends are now at uni, while im stuck doing retakes. i have applied for adult nursing, however dont even feel like doing the course, i have no idea about it.
    i was called for a test for all the universities that i applied to, but im dreading that. for kings, i failed the maths exam ( didnt finish, im a bit slow)so they no longer want me. my teachers are waiting a reply of how i did, but i just dont know what to say.
    i had a middlesex interview today, i completely blanked out due to nerves and previous kings situation. i doubt that the interviewer liked me anyway. here we go my parents are asking how i did, i dont want to say it was a flop i only have 2 more universities left, but i feel that im going to fail in them too

i just dont want to let my family down again
    any advises

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, you're not worthless. The gov't benchmark for exams is C and above, and you have 3 of those. That said, I wouldn't worry overly about the D and the E, you have clearly taken 5 A levels compared to my 3, and still nearly matched my grades! Everyone has different benchmarks with where they want their grades to be, and it seems like you feel you haven't hit yours. That's fine, it's half of the reason that retakes exist. Tens of thousands of people retake exams at every level every year, so that doesn't change anything about your worth.
    Secondly, you haven't let your family down. Not everyone even goes on to do A-levels, let alone apply to, and get accepted to university. There is a lot to be proud of there. (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with not going into higher education, or that not doing so is to let your family down as there are so many other ways to make them proud)

Don't stress about what everyone else is thinking. Your teachers are there to encourage and support you, and so are your parents. They're not there to bash you over the head with a book for failing an interview, if you've even failed it. If you talk to your parents about how nervous you feel, and that you feel you're letting them down (though I understand if you don't, that's incredibly hard to do), you'll get support, and you'll see what I mean.

Ultimately, you need to be concerned with what you want to do, and what you're happy with. If you want better A level grades, resit them, and then go to uni with what you have, do what you want to do, and trust me, your parents will be proud of you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I and every other person here who has been through A-levels and uni applications was feeling like a nervous ball of uselessness at some point too. That's perfectly normal as well! It in no way means you are one! =)

(Original post by khs)
    Firstly, you're not worthless. The gov't benchmark for exams is C and above, and you have 3 of those. That said, I wouldn't worry overly about the D and the E, you have clearly taken 5 A levels compared to my 3, and still nearly matched my grades! Everyone has different benchmarks with where they want their grades to be, and it seems like you feel you haven't hit yours. That's fine, it's half of the reason that retakes exist. Tens of thousands of people retake exams at every level every year, so that doesn't change anything about your worth.
    Secondly, you haven't let your family down. Not everyone even goes on to do A-levels, let alone apply to, and get accepted to university. There is a lot to be proud of there. (I'm not saying there's anything wrong with not going into higher education, or that not doing so is to let your family down as there are so many other ways to make them proud)

Don't stress about what everyone else is thinking. Your teachers are there to encourage and support you, and so are your parents. They're not there to bash you over the head with a book for failing an interview, if you've even failed it. If you talk to your parents about how nervous you feel, and that you feel you're letting them down (though I understand if you don't, that's incredibly hard to do), you'll get support, and you'll see what I mean.

Ultimately, you need to be concerned with what you want to do, and what you're happy with. If you want better A level grades, resit them, and then go to uni with what you have, do what you want to do, and trust me, your parents will be proud of you.

thank you so much, i feel so much better you cant believe how thankful i am for your comment thank you for actually wasting your time, trying to motivate me

Sweetie, you did ALOT better than I did and I STILL got into Uni. It's just a matter of searching around Unis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    thank you for actually wasting your time, trying to motivate me
    It is by no means a waste of my time. Nobody should have to feel down when they don't need to, and you definitely don't need to!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 12 and a lot of people from year 13 are in my classes this year resitting, it happens to everyone. You definately shouldn't feel worthless. Being one year behind isn't such a big deal, if anything it gives you extra time to think about what you want to do/the path you want to take in life. It is best not to let your grades drag you down, just forget about it and start again but with more revision. My january exam results were pretty bad, and my tutor's basically just told me to create a revision timetable and put in the extra work, and it's helped a lot. At the end of the day, although your exams are very important, they aren't the end of the world

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.