Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I'm in a bit of a dilemma and I need help. I have been offered a place at King Edward VI Camp Hill Grammar School for Sixth Form, one of the best free schools in the city. I currently attend King Edward VI Aston Grammar School, also a good school but certainly not the best in its grammar school grouping (I think Camp Hill wins that one).

I don't know whether to go. I will be doing the same options at both schools. Camp Hill offers a better standard of education, certainly a lot better than Aston where I have problems with some teachers. The thing is, all my friends are at Aston, and I am really well known by nearly all of the teachers (and well-liked I'd say!). No-one I know will be going to Camp Hill and I'm not the best at making new friends. I'm Shy :P.

ReputationRep:
    Difficult. I would actually probably say stay - I had a similar dilemma (though the schools weren't that different), and I'm really glad I stayed where I knew people. Two years is very short, and there's barely any time before your new teachers have to start writing references etc. You will certainly get a more personal reference from someone who watched you grow up than from a new school.

How different are they? They are both grammar schools, I presume from the names. If it's a lot better then change, but there are a lot of advantages to staying, given sixth form is so short. Congratulations, anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Difficult. I would actually probably say stay - I had a similar dilemma (though the schools weren't that different), and I'm really glad I stayed where I knew people. Two years is very short, and there's barely any time before your new teachers have to start writing references etc. You will certainly get a more personal reference from someone who watched you grow up than from a new school.

How different are they? They are both grammar schools, I presume from the names. If it's a lot better then change, but there are a lot of advantages to staying, given sixth form is so short. Congratulations, anyway
    Thanks. I was thinking of staying anyway but I wasn't really sure. Aston is in the top 30 I think whereas Camp Hill is in the top 5. Aston is still really good if you think about how many schools there are in the city. I agree with the references thing. I know I will get better references.

Do you think the teachers are more supportive to students who they know? I've noticed teachers at my school being less supportive of external students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaiDuc)
    Hey guys. I'm in a bit of a dilemma and I need help. I have been offered a place at King Edward VI Camp Hill Grammar School for Sixth Form, one of the best free schools in the city. I currently attend King Edward VI Aston Grammar School, also a good school but certainly not the best in its grammar school grouping (I think Camp Hill wins that one).

I don't know whether to go. I will be doing the same options at both schools. Camp Hill offers a better standard of education, certainly a lot better than Aston where I have problems with some teachers. The thing is, all my friends are at Aston, and I am really well known by nearly all of the teachers (and well-liked I'd say!). No-one I know will be going to Camp Hill and I'm not the best at making new friends. I'm Shy :P.
    best to stay, for some one shy, it is probably best for you to be settles, especially during stressful a-level times, and the school does not matter that much really, it's down to you to get your grades, as long as you have decent teachers to explain things to you, the reputation of a school does not matter, so just stay here

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.