Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is my experience of going from school, to college, to university and now I have been unable to find a job after nearly 1 year after graduating. I have been applying for retail/bar staff minimum wage jobs (which I cannot get because they class me as being 'over-qualified') as well as graduate jobs. I am considering setting up an e-petition on gov.uk.

Do graduates you agree with this?:

When we had completed Sixth Form/College, Apprenticeships were new and were only available in limited subjects such as building and construction etc.

We then went on the next traditional education step to University and graduated with a degree.

You can now get an apprenticeship in practically any subject. This was not possible back when we completed Sixth Form/College.

The job market is tough, however it is not helped when employers are only offering apprenticeships.

There is a lack of graduate jobs and many people like myself have looked into Apprenticeships only to find that there is little or no funding from the government for us to learn new practical skills. Most employers are only looking for people aged 16-18 as 100% of the apprenticeship is funded.

I would like the government to reconsider their funding for Apprenticeships and offer full funding for ages 16-24 as the government state that "Anyone aged 16 or over and not in full-time education can apply for an Apprenticeship." In theory 'Anyone' can apply but people aged 16-18 are much more likely to get offered an apprenticeship and this is not fair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camisados)
    [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]
    When we had completed Sixth Form/College, Apprenticeships were new and were only available in limited subjects such as building and construction etc.
    Apprenticeships have been around for generations. Even Modern Apprenticeships, which is what the Major government (frebranded/relaunched them as, were introduced in the mid-1990s and were firmly established when I finished my GCSEs in 2001. You left sixth form around 2009?

Admittedly there has perhaps been a greater push for, and increase in, modern apprenticeships in Scotland (the only country of the UK to retain the name), if this is what you mean.

But I feel it is perfectly fair that someone aged 16 - 24 can receive (or the employer employing the young person receives) funding. We have a big problem with youth unemployment, and pushing Modern Apprenticeships onto people helps to get young people in work and training which is obviously a good thing. At least in theory.

Why should someone who is well educated (A-levels, an undergraduate degree, perhaps even a postgraduate degree), and not a young person who has few if any qualifications, and may be better suited to a more vocational training path, be allowed to compete. The theory is that these people have their education and experience to fall back on and don't need to rely on the more vocational, work-based learning, route.

Admittedly this may not work in practice. We do have reasonably graduate unemployment and oversaturated with graduates in certain areas. So I feel the problem is not with Modern Apprenticeships, but simply making it known to students that they are not guaranteed a graduate job and to take career planning seriously. Get experience before, and during, their university studies.

What career do you want to go into? Why do you feel an Apprenticeship is the only way to enter this career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camisados)
    Ok this is my experience of going from school, to college, to university and now I have been unable to find a job after nearly 1 year after graduating. I have been applying for retail/bar staff minimum wage jobs (which I cannot get because they class me as being 'over-qualified') as well as graduate jobs. I am considering setting up an e-petition on gov.uk.

Do graduates you agree with this?:

We then went on the next traditional education step to University and graduated with a degree.

You can now get an apprenticeship in practically any subject. This was not possible back when we completed Sixth Form/College.

The job market is tough, however it is not helped when employers are only offering apprenticeships.

There is a lack of graduate jobs and many people like myself have looked into Apprenticeships only to find that there is little or no funding from the government for us to learn new practical skills. Most employers are only looking for people aged 16-18 as 100% of the apprenticeship is funded.

I would like the government to reconsider their funding for Apprenticeships and offer full funding for ages 16-24 as the government state that "Anyone aged 16 or over and not in full-time education can apply for an Apprenticeship." In theory 'Anyone' can apply but people aged 16-18 are much more likely to get offered an apprenticeship and this is not fair.
    I will create a petition saying that the house should NOT discuss this issue

If you want to doss around at uni and study a wishy washy degree or a degree that has no use to industry or little use to the economy(it doesnt matter if you study hard, because you are using other peoples money). Then you shall be served you just desserts

Those who study medicine , engineering, business, design all either work very hard or do degrees that have direct skills, as appose to indirect "critical thinking" skills, which mathematics and engineering students have more of than philosophy students

What the hell is critical thinking anyway, is it thinking 30 minutes before the essay deadline as your situation is critical? or is finding a solution to a difficult problem

I am not just putting art degrees into this category, biology and wildlife degrees, sports psuedoscience, are all inthe above category

While id say the applied arts: ie illustration, product design, web design, advertising are equally as important as the sciences.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dukeofwembley)
    x
    This thread is about apprenticeships and funding, not the usefulness of certain degrees, take that to a different thread.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.