Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

JUST IN - The United States Boosts Defence After North Korea Threats! Watch

ReputationRep:
    Link: http://news.sky.com/story/1065321/us...-korea-threats

The regime of Kim Jong Un has threatened to hit the US mainland with a preemptive nuclear attack.

The US is beefing up its missile defence systems with new interceptors after recent threats of a nuclear attack by North Korea.

Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel has announced the addition of 14 interceptors in Alaska to the US-based missile defence system.

US officials do not believe North Korea is capable of carrying out a nuclear attack on the US, but the recent threat has added to tensions between the two countries.

The new interceptors, added to the 30 already installed in California and Alaska, will improve the US' ability to shoot down missiles in flight.

The defence system has existed since 2004.

In the past year North Korea has conducted three nuclear tests and successfully launched a satellite into orbit.

More follows...
    I'm slightly concerned: It's not the fact that US is boosting its missile defence; rather, it's the fact that it's actually taking the threats from NK seriously.

But surely everything about NK striking the United States is completely hot air? But best to be safe than sorry, no?

ReputationRep:
    Better safe than sorry yes, but as far as I know the actual threat NK poses to the US is close to nil, if not nil anyway. This is probably something to reassure both the American populace, and show the NKs the Americans won't back down to them I think.

Can NK missiles even reach the US, again as far as I know they cannot, so this is just a gesture I think.

I'd actually be more concerned with what the Americans reaction would be if NK did actually launch to be honest. Even if the thing fell out of range or was shot down, and so posed no threat, the hostile intent would be there and the threshold of using a WMD already crossed, so effectively the two would be at war.

My guess is that in such a situation the Americans would still avoid a Nuclear strike, but would carry out a ground invasion with South Korea... problem is that then brings into question what would China do too, and suddenly it gets very messy indeed. (Though even here I think we'd avoid a huge world war to be honest, as I think China would probably cut loose it's pain the arse neighbour picking a fight with the biggest kid in the playground so it can keep selling it's stuff to the west... they may be communist, but North Korea is probably more trouble than it's worth if it means engaging the world's still leading super-power in a war which would royally **** up both country's economies... especially if North Korea was the aggressor too... )

ReputationRep:
    Just another excuse to give some fat defense contracts to their corporate backers, with the approval of congress. There is no threat to the US, they are the threat.

ReputationRep:
    Seriously? If the US farted in the direction of North Korea they'd be as good as dead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)

I'm slightly concerned: It's not the fact that US is boosting its missile defence; rather, it's the fact that it's actually taking the threats from NK seriously.

But surely everything about NK striking the United States is completely hot air? But best to be safe than sorry, no?
    Well, last time America didn't take a threat seriously, two planes flew into the world trade centers.

It would be irresponsible for America not to take it seriously, as it's difficult to tell what NK will actually do. What's more, it's not just America which is being threatened, it's South Korea as well.

ReputationRep:
    America, F*** YEAH!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say no tangible threat in the near future to the US, but really more of a threat to the neighbouring countries which are allies to the US (S.Korea, Japan).

I mean, if war breaks out , then we'll win, but it'd be better if we could avoid a nuclear attack and the loss of hundreds of thousands of citizens... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farm_Ecology)
    Well, last time America didn't take a threat seriously, two planes flew into the world trade centers.
    Pity they didn't put some interceptors in New York. They knew those planes were coming, and sent their fighter planes to Alaska.
    It would be irresponsible for America not to take it seriously, as it's difficult to tell what NK will actually do. What's more, it's not just America which is being threatened, it's South Korea as well.
    They obviously care a lot about S.Korea; interceptors in the US are not going to help SK much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aliccam)
    Pity they didn't put some interceptors in New York. They knew those planes were coming, and sent their fighter planes to Alaska.
    Keep in mind that
    a) There was a lot of confusion
    b) There was a training exercise for a similar situation happening at the same time.

They obviously care a lot about S.Korea; interceptors in the US are not going to help SK much.
    Maybe not, but it sends a message. It shows that, on some level, the US are ready to fight. It might be an empty gesture, but it's a gesture nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    Keep in mind that
    a) There was a lot of confusion
    They knew months before about the attack and where it was going to be.
    b) There was a training exercise for a similar situation happening at the same time.
    Computerised which could have been switched of in minutes. They faffed around for an hour and a half.

Maybe not, but it sends a message. It shows that, on some level, the US are ready to fight. It might be an empty gesture, but it's a gesture nonetheless.
    This is a purely defensive move (if it is anything other than moneymaking). Just covering their own arses if things get out of hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Seriously? If the US farted in the direction of North Korea they'd be as good as dead.
    Well the US did a lot more than just fart in Vietnam...

Of course the situation is different with North Korea but you must remember America has the huge advantage of size. This is why they can afford to be such a force in the world.

ReputationRep:
    They knew months before about the attack and where it was going to be..
    As far as I am aware, they weren't aware of the date. I could be wrong about that though.

Computerised which could have been switched of in minutes. They faffed around for an hour and a half.
    So they were incompetent? They've admitted that.

This is a purely defensive move (if it is anything other than moneymaking). Just covering their own arses if things get out of hand.
    I am sure it is mostly defensive. I doubt if the U.S has genuine concern for South Koreas safety outside of having them as an ally in east asia.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware, they weren't aware of the date. I could be wrong about that though.
    You consider that a plausible excuse?

So they were incompetent? They've admitted that.

I am sure it is mostly defensive. I doubt if the U.S has genuine concern for South Koreas safety outside of having them as an ally in east asia.
    Then why say 'the US are ready to fight'

ReputationRep:

It's plausible, but not acceptable. While the US secret services have apologized for failing the american public, it would appear to be quite a big screw up.

If you mean whether its more or less plausible than a conspiracy? I see very little evidence, or specifically, as way of finding out whether it was.

Then why say 'the US are ready to fight'
    Because they are. If North Korea goes to was with South Korean, the U.S will step in. What's more, it's in their best interests to keep South Korea around.

ReputationRep:
    It's plausible, but not acceptable. While the US secret services have apologized for failing the american public, it would appear to be quite a big screw up.
    That's why all those responsible for the 'big screwup' were promoted. They must have apologised very well.
    If you mean whether its more or less plausible than a conspiracy? I see very little evidence, or specifically, as way of finding out whether it was.
    Three Buildings that collapse under their own weight at almost freefall speed not evidence enough?

Because they are. If North Korea goes to was with South Korean, the U.S will step in. What's more, it's in their best interests to keep South Korea around.
    This action says nothing about that.

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense to be honest. Even if there is no real threat (which judging by the NK space program there isn't) more missile interceptors satisfy defence contractors and public opinion.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder if Canada is doing the same. If the Western US states are increasing their power, than surely British Colombia at the very least will be boosting theirs, possibly Alberta and Northern Territory too.

ReputationRep:
    That's why all those responsible for the 'big screwup' were promoted. They must have apologised very well.
    That doesn't constitute a conspiracy.

Three Buildings that collapse under their own weight at almost freefall speed not evidence enough?
    No, why would it? Buildings fall all the time, and the collapse of all three towers was entirely consistent with what would expect.

The twin towers both fell significantly slower than free fall. They fell in stages, with certain sections (such as the spire) taking some time longer. The time frame of their collapse was related to the damage they sustained relative to each other. There is nothing about the collapse that would suggest anything other than planes impacting both buildings.

While building 7 did fall at somewhat closer to free-fall speed than the other two, nothing about it is suspicious.

This is getting off topic though.

This action says nothing about that.
    It does though. By preparing for war, they are saying "we are ready to fight". Seeing how most of the danger is to South Korea, they are backing South Korea up with this preparation. While I am sure there are multiple reasons for doing this, on the international stage, it signifies a willingness to back South Korea.

ReputationRep:
    THey won't attack North Korea. China won't allow any more American influence in the region, and the American economy is massively propped up on Chinese trade. America would fall apart if China even so much as banned all exports to America. Its a bit stuck really.

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't constitute a conspiracy.
    Got to admit it is odd though?

No, why would it? Buildings fall all the time, and the collapse of all three towers was entirely consistent with what would expect.
    It has never happened to steel framed high rise buildings before or since, how is that expected?

The twin towers both fell significantly slower than free fall. They fell in stages, with certain sections (such as the spire) taking some time longer. The time frame of their collapse was related to the damage they sustained relative to each other. There is nothing about the collapse that would suggest anything other than planes impacting both buildings.
    No one has ever explained the speed (not significantly slower) at which they fell, not even the official NIST report. Where are you getting your information from?

While building 7 did fall at somewhat closer to free-fall speed than the other two, nothing about it is suspicious.
    Not closer to freefall, at freefall for at least the 8 stories that could be accurately measured, and straight down all at once. ie NO resistance. Not suspicious? It was supposedly collapsing onto itself, not thin air.

It does though. By preparing for war, they are saying "we are ready to fight". Seeing how most of the danger is to South Korea, they are backing South Korea up with this preparation. While I am sure there are multiple reasons for doing this, on the international stage, it signifies a willingness to back South Korea.
    It says we are ready to defend ourselves. Bit of a difference.

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.