The Student Room Group

Pope Francis thinks Falklands belong to Argentina

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by ConanAndrews
HIV can be contracted through things other than sexual matters. For example, drug use and it can also be passed through a persons blood.

HIV would never have become in any way a prominent disease if it hadn't been for sexual transmission. For a start, intravenous drug use is virtually non-existent in the areas where it originated and blood transfusions are relatively rare.

It would have died out almost as soon as it crossed over to human beings.
Original post by L i b
Because Roman Catholic countries tend to be poorer? I mean really, did you miss that lecture on correlation and causation?

They're poorer because they don't use contraception, and hence have many more children than they can afford AND not using contraception means that so many of them are ill and therefore poorer!

Empowerment of women is the best cure for poverty!

I mean really, did you miss that second lecture on not mixing up correlation and causation?
Original post by SpiggyTopes
They're poorer because they don't use contraception, and hence have many more children than they can afford AND not using contraception means that so many of them are ill and therefore poorer!

Empowerment of women is the best cure for poverty!

I mean really, did you miss that second lecture on not mixing up correlation and causation?

https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?feature=plpp&v=FMfteIDO4zU

this may have some relevance, but I'm not wanting to turn this into a sectarian slanging match.
Reply 123
Apparently President de Kirchner has now asked the Pope to intervene in the dispute... I'm really starting to think she has gone completely mad. She just will not get the message.
Original post by ConanAndrews
I thought the Pope was the leader of the Vatican City State...this gives him political reasoning. You always see leaders of other states commenting on International problems, why can't he? Also i'm sure Catholics live in the Falklands...giving him every right to speak on the matter.

How does he deserve political power on such issues just because he controls a country with a population of around 900 people in it? He deserves no political power, all he is interested in is spreading his religious bull**** onto everyone he can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by AJ_Moose
Apparently President de Kirchner has now asked the Pope to intervene in the dispute... I'm really starting to think she has gone completely mad. She just will not get the message.

Shes gone mad with desperation.

although we've told the Vatican to take a running jump enough times throughout history, they may see this as a chance for payback......investigation into child abuse claims against the catholic chilurxh anybody?
Reply 126
I see President Kirchener has already been pressing this issue in her audience with the newly elected Pope.
Incidentally, this is quite an interesting page on the BBC website that succinctly sets out the competing claims on both sides.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17045169

It notes that neither side are willing to set the legal case before the ICJ as each side fears they may lose.
Original post by Thomas2
I see President Kirchener has already been pressing this issue in her audience with the newly elected Pope.
Incidentally, this is quite an interesting page on the BBC website that succinctly sets out the competing claims on both sides.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17045169

It notes that neither side are willing to set the legal case before the ICJ as each side fears they may lose.

That's a very good page.

It does expose that the crux of the Argentinian claim is a ridiculous and historical attachment to the concept of transfer of Spanish Empire property and that they have zero regard for the longevity of the settlement since the 1830s. In other words, their position is both colonialist and imperialist, the exact things they accuse the UK of repeatedly. A classic pot/kettle scenario.

Of course, Kirchner herself doesn't for one second believe all that tosh, she is just engaged in cynical realpolitik. The sad thing is, it's probably working - she has Latin America in the bag and has put a lot of other countries either in her corner, or in the neutral basket. Now she even has the Pope!

Despite Cameron's bluster and the referendum, the reality is that the UK is pretty much on its own on this one. Bit of a shame really, as we're in the right, but that probably makes no difference. On the other hand, it also probably makes no difference that we're in a minority of one (or a few) - the most Argentina can hope for is that the UN, the US and others recommend some kind of UN protection for it or something, with Argentinian representation. The poor locals would then be stuck in an endless cycle of resentment and oppression, although their prospects look bleak anyway, as they are now unable to trade with the nearest countries.
Reply 128
Original post by Fullofsurprises
That's a very good page.

It does expose that the crux of the Argentinian claim is a ridiculous and historical attachment to the concept of transfer of Spanish Empire property and that they have zero regard for the longevity of the settlement since the 1830s. In other words, their position is both colonialist and imperialist, the exact things they accuse the UK of repeatedly. A classic pot/kettle scenario.

Of course, Kirchner herself doesn't for one second believe all that tosh, she is just engaged in cynical realpolitik. The sad thing is, it's probably working - she has Latin America in the bag and has put a lot of other countries either in her corner, or in the neutral basket. Now she even has the Pope!

Despite Cameron's bluster and the referendum, the reality is that the UK is pretty much on its own on this one. Bit of a shame really, as we're in the right, but that probably makes no difference. On the other hand, it also probably makes no difference that we're in a minority of one (or a few) - the most Argentina can hope for is that the UN, the US and others recommend some kind of UN protection for it or something, with Argentinian representation. The poor locals would then be stuck in an endless cycle of resentment and oppression, although their prospects look bleak anyway, as they are now unable to trade with the nearest countries.

Thanks. Pleased it meets with your approval. :smile:

I presume there are provisions in place to stop Argentinians moving there to eventually out number the British islanders and thus win a plebiscite.

Failing that the Pope could of course offer to draw a line between East Falkland and West Falkland in memory of the Treaty of Tordesillas. However I doubt that would appeal to any of the parties. I did wonder if the Falklands might have been on the Portuguese side of the orginial line which would have made a historical mockery of their petition to the Pope but that does not appear to be the case.
LOL
Original post by Thomas2
Thanks. Pleased it meets with your approval. :smile:

I presume there are provisions in place to stop Argentinians moving there to eventually out number the British islanders and thus win a plebiscite.

Failing that the Pope could of course offer to draw a line between East Falkland and West Falkland in memory of the Treaty of Tordesillas. However I doubt that would appeal to any of the parties. I did wonder if the Falklands might have been on the Portuguese side of the orginial line which would have made a historical mockery of their petition to the Pope but that does not appear to be the case.
LOL

Haha, yes, it's high time the Vatican got back in the business of geomandering! We need some Roman Church dividing lines down the world. Maybe they can split everything between the US and China, with China taking Tel Aviv and the US taking Gaza. Er. Hang on. Just a sec. Hmmm....
That's a very good page.

We're a sovereign state so I think it's OK for us to look after our own battles. You also seem to forget that the majority of Commonwealth Nations are behind us as is the EU. And looking at what the Argentinians are doing, most of MERCOSUR are paying lip service to them.

There's even been calls by Argentinian Nationalists for Brazil to come to their aid militarily. Do you think the Brazilians are going to be filling up body bags for a crazy bint who's destroyed her countrys economy?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 131
Haha, yes, it's high time the Vatican got back in the business of geomandering! We need some Roman Church dividing lines down the world. Maybe they can split everything between the US and China, with China taking Tel Aviv and the US taking Gaza. Er. Hang on. Just a sec. Hmmm....

Don't forget the Moon and Mars...
Reply 132
Original post by MatureStudent36
We're a sovereign state so I think it's OK for us to look after our own battles. You also seem to forget that the majority of Commonwealth Nations are behind us as is the EU.

Do you have a source for stating the EU are behind us? Not saying you're wrong, just I don't recall the EU publicly backing Britain's stance.
Original post by Thomas2
Don't forget the Moon and Mars...

Oooo yes! A line drawn through the middle of the Galaxy! "Everything in the southern sky - that shall belong to Argentina. Everything in the northern hemispheric orb of the heavens - in perpetuity, that shall belong to Opus Dei."

Pax vobiscum.
Do you have a source for stating the EU are behind us? Not saying you're wrong, just I don't recall the EU publicly backing Britain's stance.

Broadly, the EU respects the existing overseas territories of member states. As part of accession, the legitimacy of such possessions is supposedly reviewed, although there have been no cases disputed by the EU.

According to COHA, EU language suggests tacit support for the UK line.
http://www.coha.org/coha-statement-the-falklandsmalvinas-referendum-the-islanders-voice-is-far-from-being-trivial/

There isn't much more on it, the EU prefers to keep at arms length from the private territorial disputes of member states unless they are between each other.

The Falklands is part of teh UK which is part of the EU

http://en.mercopress.com/2012/01/20/falklands-malvinas-bilateral-issue-but-islands-are-covered-by-eu-as-british-ot

http://europeangeostrategy.ideasoneurope.eu/2010/03/07/the-falklands-the-european-unions-antarctic-key/

http://ec.europa.eu/europeaid/where/octs_and_greenland/countries/falkland-islands_en.htm

Basically the Argentinians are being bellicos. Nobody is listening to them and the Adults are just ignoring them.

Considering they nationalised a Spanish Oil Company a few months ago, Spain will be applying the EU screw on Argentina as well.

Basically. Ignore and carry on.
Reply 136
Oooo yes! A line drawn through the middle of the Galaxy! "Everything in the southern sky - that shall belong to Argentina. Everything in the northern hemispheric orb of the heavens - in perpetuity, that shall belong to Opus Dei."

Pax vobiscum.

LOL
Reply 137
Original post by MatureStudent36
The Falklands is part of teh UK which is part of the EU

Well technically the Falklands are neither part of the UK or the EU. But the point still stands that they are under British sovereignty and presumably the EU respects that.
Reply 138
Original post by SpiggyTopes

So Roman Catholic countries are poor because of a lack of birth control? Nothing to do with macroeconomic trends? Or natural resources? Or treatment by European imperial powers? Nope, it's apparently just the Papists and their inability to stop breeding...

I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. Either way, you're spouting a load of nonsense.
Original post by L i b
So Roman Catholic countries are poor because of a lack of birth control? Nothing to do with macroeconomic trends? Or natural resources? Or treatment by European imperial powers? Nope, it's apparently just the Papists and their inability to stop breeding...

I'm not even sure what that's supposed to mean. Either way, you're spouting a load of nonsense.

Yes. Slightly and slightly, but less so.

I was being sarcastic. It was essentially the same as what you said- were you spouting rubbish?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending