Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    what would be the effects on the body of drinking a small amount of 100% pure alcohol?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jsmith6131)
    what would be the effects on the body of drinking a small amount of 100% pure alcohol?
    Your eyeballs would burn out in their sockets and your liver would resemble a pumice stone mate
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I don't think (although I don't know for certain) that drinking the same amount of pure alcohol as there is in a, for instance, glass of wine is an issue. As far as I know, the main issue is that because it's completely pure, anything more than a very, very small amount can become dangerous. It's a lot easier to accidentally take in too much alcohol if you're drinking 100% pure alcohol that wine with a 7% alcohol content.

ReputationRep:
    It wouldnt be bad for you. It might hurt your throat a little but once its in your stomach it would do anything different to other strengths of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    It's a lot easier to accidentally take in too much alcohol if you're drinking 100% pure alcohol that wine with a 7% alcohol content.
    It isn't though. Wine with as little alcohol as 7%, which isn't really wine, would be very easy to drink. If you tried to drink ethanol it would be very difficult to hold down a shot.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you'd die?

ReputationRep:
    You don't really get 100% pure ethanol, it's nearly all adulterated with methanol, which is toxic and does make you go blind. So that would be bad for you. If it was however just pure ethanol, it'd be no worse than any other form of imbibing alcohol in the same quantities. You're taking on less water while drinking it however, so you're more likely to become dehydrated quickly, and it would be bloody disgusting I imagine.

ReputationRep:
    It would burn through your stomach lining..?

ReputationRep:
    Drink a small amount, exactly the same effects as any other alcohol by volume of ethanol.

On a side note, Ethanol forms an azeotrope with water at 96% purity, and it cannot be distilled further. Everclear is the closest you're going to get.

ReputationRep:
    Alcahol is poisonous to humans and pure alcahol will burn your liver, excessive brain damage. You will have a good percentage of dying also

ReputationRep:
    Somebody in my biology class once decided it would be a good idea to drink some 90-odd% alcohol for a bet. :rolleyes: He coughed a lot but he was fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ETRC)
    Alcahol is poisonous to humans and pure alcahol will burn your liver, excessive brain damage. You will have a good percentage of dying also
    Rubbish, it's the amount you drink, not the concentration.

Is 'burn' a medical term?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys93)
    It would burn through your stomach lining..?
    Your stomach is way to tough for that, It can have acid of ph 1.5 in it. A bit of ethanol whch will be diluted in there would cause no bother.

ReputationRep:
    How much is a "small amount"?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't ethanol have a flash point of about 14C?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Pure ethanol can do not only all that stuff, it can also kill vital microbes in your body that synthesize quite a lot for ya:P

ReputationRep:
    well ethanol is oxidized to an acid in the liver... which cant be good for your body!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiggyTopes)
    Rubbish, it's the amount you drink, not the concentration.

Is 'burn' a medical term?
    I don't know what happens to the liver so I said burn.
    And what you said is false. It's like saying dilute HCL is not gonna harm you much and 100% HCL will have the same effect. 100% will corrode your skin very badly and the same logic applies with alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    The toxicity of alcohol depends on its concentration in the blood... not on its amount.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reasonably sure that it causes blindness

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.