Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've seen so many people consider Media Studies a 'worthless' A-Level, whilst I really enjoy it. However I would LOVE to go on to UEA and study English Literature with creative writing, so I was wondering if taking Media Studies onto A-Level (currently still in Year 12) would be the wrong decision and would make an impact on whether I'd be accepted into UEA?

I study English Lit, English Lang, Sociology and Media. I would prefer to drop English Lang as I'm only getting C's, and I'm getting A's/B's in my other subjects, thereby enhancing my chances of achieving AAA if I take my best subjects onto A-Level. However I'd be willing to drop Media (despite my predicted A) if it meant I wouldn't get into UEA...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanakaticshair)
    I've seen so many people consider Media Studies a 'worthless' A-Level, whilst I really enjoy it. However I would LOVE to go on to UEA and study English Literature with creative writing, so I was wondering if taking Media Studies onto A-Level (currently still in Year 12) would be the wrong decision and would make an impact on whether I'd be accepted into UEA?

I study English Lit, English Lang, Sociology and Media. I would prefer to drop English Lang as I'm only getting C's, and I'm getting A's/B's in my other subjects, thereby enhancing my chances of achieving AAA if I take my best subjects onto A-Level. However I'd be willing to drop Media (despite my predicted A) if it meant I wouldn't get into UEA...
    The creative writing course at UEA is one of the best in the country (as far as i know) and so is very competitive. If I were you I'd be taking the best A-Levels possible (i.e. not media). Although having said that, you need AAA to get onto the course so if media meant you get get AAA then that would be preferable.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stanakaticshair)

Hi stanakaticshair,

If you have a look at the entry requirements on our website, we only ask for English Literature specifically at A-Level in which you need to acheive an A, so as long as you keep that and acheive A's in your other two subjects then you have met the requirements no matter what the other subjects are.

As emmakh123 has said the course is very competitive and is one of the best in the country so I would concentrate on getting the 3 A's, as you are more likely to be accepted with AAA in English Lit, Sociology and Media than AAB in English Lit, Sociology and English Lang. This is because we look at grades first and foremost, and consider applicants who have met the AAA requirement first.

Also, UEA and any other university for that matter wouldn't consider Media Studies to be a 'worthless' A-Level at all, as you probably know it can provide you with many key skills, and knowledge which can be transferred to other subjects.

It would be good to talk this through with your teachers as they can probably advise you best and talk through your strengths in the subjects you are taking to maximise the chances of AAA.

You can also contact our admissions department who are very friendly and can talk this through further with you:
    Tel: +44 (0)1603 591515
    Email: [email protected]

If you have any other questions let me know

ReputationRep:
    One of the words they threw around in my first week was the "interdisciplinarity" of my degree - so you could talk about the relevance of different media (film, lit) for narrative, academic interest, and how it gives you a broader cultural perspective.

Or something. ;D

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.