Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Could someone explain to me how the dy/dx was worked out in this question please?

This is what I got, I don't quite understand where the dy/dx in the equation comes from.

Thank you.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y_123456)
    Could someone explain to me how the dy/dx was worked out in this question please?

This is what I got, I don't quite understand where the dy/dx in the equation comes from.

Thank you.
    Whenever you differentiate a 'y' term you have to put dy/dx next to it

For example, if you have
    y = 5x+2

you differentiate both sides and get:

(1)dy/dx = 5
    so dy/dx = 5

ReputationRep:
    This is an example of IMPLICIT differentiation. in most cases you do differentiation where its something=y but in this case you cant seperate it so that something=y so you have to differentiate a different way. you use the same methods, but when differentiating a term with y in it you multiply by dy/dx. Surely youve been taught this? or are you trying to skip ahead before your class has gone over it?

ReputationRep:
    You're using both the product rule and chain rule because your differentiating with respect to x

Edit: sorry if I sound a bit unclear, it's just that I've only just done this topic myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GPODT)
    Whenever you differentiate a 'y' term you have to put dy/dx next to it

For example, if you have
    y = 5x+2

you differentiate both sides and get:

(1)dy/dx = 5
    so dy/dx = 5
    Thank you so much! I understand it now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J1994D)
    This is an example of IMPLICIT differentiation. in most cases you do differentiation where its something=y but in this case you cant seperate it so that something=y so you have to differentiate a different way. you use the same methods, but when differentiating a term with y in it you multiply by dy/dx. Surely youve been taught this? or are you trying to skip ahead before your class has gone over it?
    Looking through the chapter before being taught. Not doing a good job am I. And thank you for explaining.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SDavis123)
    You're using both the product rule and chain rule because your differentiating with respect to x

Edit: sorry if I sound a bit unclear, it's just that I've only just done this topic myself

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries. Thank you, every little helps.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.