Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have to buy a stethoscope and I can't decide between Littman or Lane. They sell the Lane ones at my uni, but I've seen a lot of vets using Littman and one of my teachers told me to get a good one that could serve even when I finish school.

Littman is well reknown, but a little more expensive. However it comes in a lot of different colors, which is a plus.

Lane is cheaper and good... so I don't know.

I believe that for veterinary medicine any normal (classic) medical scope could do...

If anybody could give me any suggestions based on experience.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I feel all this "getting a scope" thing is like when wands choose the wizard...
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Litmann.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I talked to a Vet friend and he said that I should start with the cheaper one, since it could get stolen or "bitten" and then probably get a Littman in the last years.

I wanted a Littman to start school with, but what he explained makes sense.

My birthday is coming, so I could throw the Littman idea to the table in case someone wants to spoil me.

ReputationRep:
    I'd say littman. The plastic on a littman is more flexible, the colors are nicer, and I believe the acoustics are better. They are also more recognized to be a good stethoscope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ckwonie)
    I'd say littman. The plastic on a littman is more flexible, the colors are nicer, and I believe the acoustics are better. They are also more recognized to be a good stethoscope.
    Thanks. I know! I fell in love with the colors. However the Lane one I saw at Uni was of a beautiful purple and very flexible, and my vet said that the acoustics were as good as a Littman's. Like I said, hope somebody gets the Littman for my b-day. I don't have a problem starting with the Lane one (I'll start to adapt handling a scope with it, since we will be going to different places) and then moving on to the Littman in a more advanced level (once I'm comfortable using a stethoscope and moving around with it).

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering... if I do get a Littman which type might serve me better: Classic II SE or Master Classic II. Which one will serve me longer? I mean, not as in durability, but as in functionality and complexity of years...
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADBwriter)
    Just wondering... if I do get a Littman which type might serve me better: Classic II SE or Master Classic II. Which one will serve me longer? I mean, not as in durability, but as in functionality and complexity of years...
    I've got the classic II which is good . The Master might be better though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skatealexia)
    I've got the classic II which is good . The Master might be better though.
    Thank you very much. Let's cross fingers and see if my b-day wish comes true...

ReputationRep:
    Typically people get the classic II. I've seen the higher level ones, and I think they're more suited to cardiologists!

ReputationRep:
    Littman Classic II is absolutely fine, it's what I use. I'm 5yrs qualified and still have the same stethoscope I bought as a student. It has served me really well, spent many hours rolling around in the back of the van, taken lots of abuse and is in great condition. It;s just the job, can hear all sorts of murmurs and squeaks & I've no intention of buying a more advanced one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ponyvet)
    Littman Classic II is absolutely fine, it's what I use. I'm 5yrs qualified and still have the same stethoscope I bought as a student. It has served me really well, spent many hours rolling around in the back of the van, taken lots of abuse and is in great condition. It;s just the job, can hear all sorts of murmurs and squeaks & I've no intention of buying a more advanced one.
    Thank you! I've been given a little hint I'll actually get one for my birthday. :excited:

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Would you recommend me to choose a dark color? I heard some girl saying that they suggest students in zoos not to use a bright color scope. That really got me down, because I'm dying for a crazy color one. I don't know if that's 100% true, though.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! Would you recommend me to choose a dark color? I heard some girl saying that they suggest students in zoos not to use a bright color scope. That really got me down, because I'm dying for a crazy color one. I don't know if that's 100% true, though.
    I really haven't ever thought too much about colour. My only advice would be that a stethoscope is a bit of an investment which is likely to see you through EMS and take you into your first job at least. I'd think carefully about colour in terms of it giving you a professional image. I've not heard of bright colours being a problem, but then again I've not engaged in any zoo work.
    They do make them in some nice colours which are a change from the boring black stethoscopes. I may be wrong but I think I saw somewhere that you can buy different coloured tubing, you could have a look into this.
    Mine's dark red btw!

ReputationRep:
    I really haven't ever thought too much about colour. My only advice would be that a stethoscope is a bit of an investment which is likely to see you through EMS and take you into your first job at least. I'd think carefully about colour in terms of it giving you a professional image. I've not heard of bright colours being a problem, but then again I've not engaged in any zoo work.
    They do make them in some nice colours which are a change from the boring black stethoscopes. I may be wrong but I think I saw somewhere that you can buy different coloured tubing, you could have a look into this.
    Mine's dark red btw!
    You're totally right about the investment and image part. I was thinking of getting a Caribbean Blue. I just wanted to know if what this girl was talking about was true. It sounded so odd to me when she said that... I wanted to double check. Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    I see they do a vet one - longer tube - any thoughts?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zizza)
    I see they do a vet one - longer tube - any thoughts?

My lecturer said they simply repackage one of the other litmann ones and give it a higher price so not worth it.
    Most students get the classic II

ReputationRep:
    A bit late/slow but I have actually heard about the bright colours and wildlife too. Also that many exotic animals don't like the colour red. I am a bit skeptical but an exotics vet at a well-respected clinic told me that, and that she eventually had to ask a student with a red stethoscope to stop using that stethoscope.

ReputationRep:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I have to buy a stethoscope and I can't decide between Littman or Lane. They sell the Lane ones at my uni, but I've seen a lot of vets using Littman and one of my teachers told me to get a good one that could serve even when I finish school.

Littman is well reknown, but a little more expensive. However it comes in a lot of different colors, which is a plus.

Lane is cheaper and good... so I don't know.

I believe that for veterinary medicine any normal (classic) medical scope could do...

If anybody could give me any suggestions based on experience.

Thanks in advance.

P.S.: I feel all this "getting a scope" thing is like when wands choose the wizard...
    Everyone that I know has a littman and I find that sounds are much clearer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Everyone I know has a Littman

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 25, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.