The Student Room Group

OCR Key Themes Geography Exam June 2013

Anyone else doing this exam? I'm just starting to revise now, but I'm getting quite bogged down in case studies. Tips anyone?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-I9100

Scroll to see replies

I have started to put some stuff together for this exam on my teaching site. Free to use and access. It follows the same format as the revision pages for the SDME examinations earlier this year. It will be finished over the next few weeks. Good luck with the preparation.

http://www.geographypods.com/terminal-exam-12th-june-2013.html
Reply 2
Original post by geographypods
I have started to put some stuff together for this exam on my teaching site. Free to use and access. It follows the same format as the revision pages for the SDME examinations earlier this year. It will be finished over the next few weeks. Good luck with the preparation.

Could you please create a section for case studies? I'd like to know how many I should learn for the exam, and perhaps an explanation of the mark scheme with a model answer. Thanks, I appreciate your work.
Original post by STATER
Could you please create a section for case studies? I'd like to know how many I should learn for the exam, and perhaps an explanation of the mark scheme with a model answer. Thanks, I appreciate your work.

Will do. Still teaching my Y11's and will get material uploaded ASAP.
Reply 4
I'm doing this exam, at the moment I'm putting all my notes and case studies in one note book and I'll revise case studies nearer to the exam as I'll forget figures etc :smile:
It's worth bearing in mind that different schools use different case studies. There isn't really a one size fits all model in GCSE Geography. Having said that, a colleague has complied a list of case studies that I'll post up on geographypods next week. Don't panic if you see case studies there that you don't recognise! If you have gaps, they are suitable fillers.

More soon

geographypods
Reply 6
It's worth bearing in mind that different schools use different case studies. There isn't really a one size fits all model in GCSE Geography. Having said that, a colleague has complied a list of case studies that I'll post up on geographypods next week. Don't panic if you see case studies there that you don't recognise! If you have gaps, they are suitable fillers.

More soon

geographypods

Is it allowed to use the same hurricane for both the LEDC and MEDC case studies for a climatic event (Hurricane Isaac in Haiti and USA)
Reply 7
Im confused how i should revise for this exam :s, any help anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok, case study materials added today to the top of each section (Rivers & Coasts, Hazards and Economic Development). Just finished the coasts revision section and about to resource the rivers, hazards and economic development sections over the next two weeks. Information is being added here all the time:

If anyone is doing the SDME resit in June, there is also a page that I have set up here:
http://www.geographypods.com/june-2013.html

More soon

geographypods
Reply 9
Geography pods
You know the case studies you have provided in the website if my school is not doing the same can I still use the ones the website provided or is it best to just follow what the school is doing
Hi S.I

Probably best to use the ones that you have studied in school. That is definitely the safest and best option.
Reply 11
Thank YOU geographypods
The site is very useful I used it for the population SDME and it was incredible.
I would recommend it to all the GCSE students.
OK, finally tonight finished the revision page for the Key Themes OCR B Exam on June 13th. It has taken ages!! - You can find it here:

Good luck with your revision people.

geographypods
Reply 13
Geography Pods,
Is it possible to only revise for rivers in the rivers and coast section, and for tropical hazards in the natural hazards section?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really wouldn't.

OCR clearly say that they reserve the right to set two rivers questions or two coasts questions (remember you choose one out of two questions from each section). The more likely option is one rivers, one coasts ... but you never know. It would be a dangerous game to play.

In terms of your tropical storms, you may well have a scenario where they set an earthquakes question (tectonic) and a drought question (climatic) so you need to revise all case studies to cover all eventualities.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck with the revision

geographypods
Reply 15
I really wouldn't.

OCR clearly say that they reserve the right to set two rivers questions or two coasts questions (remember you choose one out of two questions from each section). The more likely option is one rivers, one coasts ... but you never know. It would be a dangerous game to play.

In terms of your tropical storms, you may well have a scenario where they set an earthquakes question (tectonic) and a drought question (climatic) so you need to revise all case studies to cover all eventualities.

Hope that helps.

Best of luck with the revision

geographypods

Hiya, I can't find the overall UMS grade boundaries anywhere so with the following...

54/60 UMS SDME
54/60 UMS Geographical Enquiry

How many raw marks/UMS will I need in the final exam to get an A* overall?
Reply 16
108 UMS which was about 60/75 last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
Original post by Krollo
108 UMS which was about 60/75 last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ugh so an A* then - and grade boundaries might be a little bit higher this year because of SPaG marks
Reply 18
What would I need then for an A*? I got 52/60 UMS for SDME (but did re-sit the other day) and 53/60 UMS for CA.
Reply 19
111 UMS, or in raw marks around 63ish.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest