Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

BEng v BSc Degree - Quick question about the difference Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Peeps,

I'm just doing some HR work and sifting through applications. Some candidates have BSc Design Materials & Engineering, and others have BEng Design Materials & Engineering.

The BSc is 3 years and the BEng's are 4 years. Can someone just enlighten me as to the difference? I can find much info online that I deem reliable enough. I've got 2 candidates here and I want to know how much weight I should give to the BEng as opposed to the BSc.

Can someone just give me a quick explanation as to the key difference(s)?!

Rybee x

ReputationRep:
    I don't know for sure, but at a guess I'd say maybe the BEng has a year in the industry? I know my uni course offers a 3 year and 4 year one, where the BEng students go on a placement year in between the 2nd and 3rd teaching years.

ReputationRep:
    check the HEI in question and see if the BEng are Engineering council approved

Eng C approved course vs none approved course is an easy weed out on something like this, however depending on the exact role it may be worth re-checking the BSc candidates to see if any are Eng tech and/or time served crafties as well as graduates.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippyRN)
    check the HEI in question and see if the BEng are Engineering council approved

Eng C approved course vs none approved course is an easy weed out on something like this, however depending on the exact role it may be worth re-checking the BSc candidates to see if any are Eng tech and/or time served crafties as well as graduates.
    Thanks, that's actually very helpful. I will check over the course provided and see if it is approved.

As for the 1 year placement, I've seen students with a 1 year placement but still with a BSc, but this BEng student doesn't seem to have taken a placement.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.