Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I have just been to the UCAS convention at the University of Portsmouth to find good universities with computer science courses. I have picked up about 20 prospectuses of universities for 2014 entry, and have come up with a short(er)list of those that I will look at:
    Spoiler:
    Show

King's College, London - Computer Science MSci - AAB
    University of Westminster - Computer Science BSc - CCC (fall-back)
    University of East Anglia - Computing Science MComp - AAB
    University of East Anglia - Computing Science BSc - ABB
    University of Kent - Computer Science BSc - ABB
    University of Greenwich - Computer Science BSc - BCC/260 UCAS (fall-back)
    University of St Andrews - Computer Science MSci - AAB, inc Maths.
    University of York - Computer Science BSc/MEng - AAA
    University of Sheffield - Computer Science BSc/MComp - AAB, inc Maths.
    University of Southampton - Computer Science BSc/MEng - AAA, inc Maths.
    University of Exeter - Computer Science BSc/MSci - AAA/ABB
    Queen Mary, London - Computer Science BSc/MSci - AAB/BBB

Firstly, would I be better off going straight for a master degree, or would it be best to go for a bachelors, then go for the masters?

Secondly, if anyone has first hand experience of these universities, what are they like?

Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Choppie)
    I have just been to the UCAS convention at the University of Portsmouth to find good universities with computer science courses. I have picked up about 20 prospectuses of universities for 2014 entry, and have come up with a short(er)list of those that I will look at:
    Spoiler:
    Show

King's College, London - Computer Science MSci - AAB
    University of Westminster - Computer Science BSc - CCC (fall-back)
    University of East Anglia - Computing Science MComp - AAB
    University of East Anglia - Computing Science BSc - ABB
    University of Kent - Computer Science BSc - ABB
    University of Greenwich - Computer Science BSc - BCC/260 UCAS (fall-back)
    University of St Andrews - Computer Science MSci - AAB, inc Maths.
    University of York - Computer Science BSc/MEng - AAA
    University of Sheffield - Computer Science BSc/MComp - AAB, inc Maths.
    University of Southampton - Computer Science BSc/MEng - AAA, inc Maths.
    University of Exeter - Computer Science BSc/MSci - AAA/ABB
    Queen Mary, London - Computer Science BSc/MSci - AAB/BBB

Firstly, would I be better off going straight for a master degree, or would it be best to go for a bachelors, then go for the masters?

Secondly, if anyone has first hand experience of these universities, what are they like?

Thanks in advance!
    Depends. If you want to work abroad a bachelor's then master's is better, as quite a lot of employers won't recognise the MEng. That's not to say you'll definitely be at a disadvantage, but just something to consider. But as far as I know it's must easier to become a chartered engineer with the MEng.

ReputationRep:
    As overskrill as explained above its really up to you, what do you plan to do for University?. As with the BENG and MENG there's not really a great lot difference in terms of employment a BENG is just the BASIC MINIMUM requirement while a MENG is something you would need to become a chartered engineer, you can always transfer at the end of the second year to either, but universities prefer to stick to one but after speaking to an Edinburgh University admissions officer he said its just "better" to go straight for the MENG as most people tend to go for the BENG. As with you can get all the reviews, rankings or what your friend say, but here at the TSR we tend to say the answer is to go and see for yourself cause in the end it's your future, but by all means do some research to narrow down your choices. Good luck with your decision

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.