Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

is it just me or is comic relief a bit ****e this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never found comic relief funny I know it's for charity so it's a good cause but as to prevent the word comic from being shamed let's just call it Relief next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emily115)
    This.

I didn't really find it funny this year, even if it is called 'comic' relief.. All I really care about is that all those people had volunteered to do stuff and raised a record amount of money for charity.. Who cares if it wasn't hilariously funny? It's not just for entertainment purposes :rolleyes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the whole purpose of "comic" relief was that people would donate money in exchange for quality entertainment.
    They should just call it "relief" then. Even if there are some funny sketches it's not worth sitting through all the crap in between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Maybe I'm wrong but I thought the whole purpose of "comic" relief was that people would donate money in exchange for quality entertainment.
    They should just call it "relief" then. Even if there are some funny sketches it's not worth sitting through all the crap in between.
    No, I see your point. I guess it comes down to taste as well though.. Some people did find it funny. I personally watched it anyway, funny or not, because it was for charity. I don't think it's necessarily 'in exchange' for money, either.. It has a reputation of being funny and I think they still tried this year, some people just didn't like it.
    But hey, you don't have to watch it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Lenny Henry is a racist hypocrite. He likes to date white women but he appeared on a radio show joking that he once was in a group called 'poor white trash'. He repeated this and seemed to enjoy saying it.

ReputationRep:
    So, apparently we're all desperately poor, worst times ever, but Comic Relief can rustle up £75m when asked.

Doesn't this show that people are better engaged when allowed to feel philanthropic, rather than bullied with threats of prison via taxation?
    For example, I *STRONGLY*, (and I mean really strongly), object to the hundreds of £millions given by the UK each year to assist the nuclear weapons and space programmes of China, Russia and India. But I have no choice. If I withhold that part, I potentially go to prison.

Doesn't make me feel very charitable. That said, RND is a cringing load of *******s that I haven't watched for about 10 years now.

Glad it's not just me... http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...s-off-donating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    Ill probably get negged to death for this but Ive been watching it for two hours now and i really cant see the comedy in it. Its dominated by dying children followed by announcement of how much money theyve made.
    Dont get me wrong, i think charity is great. But it just seems a bit much that they have to tell you to call in every 5 seconds. I for one have changed the channel.
    It's been crud for years.

ReputationRep:
    Wow that guy has anger issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitaltoast)
    So, apparently we're all desperately poor, worst times ever, but Comic Relief can rustle up £75m when asked.

Doesn't this show that people are better engaged when allowed to feel philanthropic, rather than bullied with threats of prison via taxation?
    For example, I *STRONGLY*, (and I mean really strongly), object to the hundreds of £millions given by the UK each year to assist the nuclear weapons and space programmes of China, Russia and India. But I have no choice. If I withhold that part, I potentially go to prison.

Doesn't make me feel very charitable. That said, RND is a cringing load of *******s that I haven't watched for about 10 years now.

Glad it's not just me... http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisf...s-off-donating
    The article kind of trails off the point a bit. I agree with some of the comments though, all these shameless celebs begging the audience to give money when just one of them could donate millions and probably stop world poverty altogether...it's pretty nauseating...except Miranda of course, because I love her
    Of course, if poor people around the word benefit from all the money that has been fundraised, I'm glad. But I'd rather give money directly to a charity I know, so that I know exactly where it's going and how it will benefit.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.