The Student Room Group

Classics in maintained schools

This may just be me being negligent but is latin taught in any maintained schools (eg:state funded), In my experience I only know of private schools or grammar schools teaching the classics, I think this is more common with Latin and Greek though. I think it may be because of their association with upper-classnes, snobbery or because few people carry on latin at GCSE & sixth form and alot of people don't deem them to be useful (silly people).

Anyway I would be interested to hear your experience.

NB; I m not quiet sure if this is the right place to put this but it seemed the most relevant.
Reply 1
60% of private schools teach latin compared with 15% of state schools, although clearly that is distinct from classics itself.

The proportion of university classics students who were privately educated is way above other subjects. For example, at Oxford.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I know of one maintained school nearby that offers Latin, one that offers Classical Civilisation; but none that offer Greek or Ancient History at GCSE.
I do Classical Civilization A-level, I previously did Latin at GCSE. My school's classics department is tiny though and only has two teachers, one of which is also an English teacher
Reply 4
Original post by iamthestig
I do Classical Civilization A-level, I previously did Latin at GCSE. My school's classics department is tiny though and only has two teachers, one of which is also an English teacher

Mine is tiny as well, although i go to a private school with only 300 people and 90 in 6th form. There's one teacher, he's a legend and a great teacher. In year 7 latin's compulsory and then you choose to carry it on or opt for german, french in addition to Spanish. In Y8 & Y9 average class sizes are 15 but mine was 10 but the current year's 22. The GCSE classes are about 6 people but mine's 2 (I hate the other person). Then for AS & A level it's personal tutoring with normally one person choosing it. It seems strange or amazing compared to science were top set is rammed full or most comp's (according to my brother). Sadly my school doesn't teach Greek which is the same as all schools within 50 miles:frown:.

Anyway is this the case in other schools small classics and small uptake at GCSE & A/AS level :confused:. Is it like this in maintained schools. How does latin work in the curriculum in your school. Anyone on TSR do latin in state schools?
Original post by Astrtricks
Mine is tiny as well, although i go to a private school with only 300 people and 90 in 6th form. There's one teacher, he's a legend and a great teacher. In year 7 latin's compulsory and then you choose to carry it on or opt for german, french in addition to Spanish. In Y8 & Y9 average class sizes are 15 but mine was 10 but the current year's 22. The GCSE classes are about 6 people but mine's 2 (I hate the other person). Then for AS & A level it's personal tutoring with normally one person choosing it. It seems strange or amazing compared to science were top set is rammed full or most comp's (according to my brother). Sadly my school doesn't teach Greek which is the same as all schools within 50 miles:frown:.

Anyway is this the case in other schools small classics and small uptake at GCSE & A/AS level :confused:. Is it like this in maintained schools. How does latin work in the curriculum in your school. Anyone on TSR do latin in state schools?

Well mine's a state-school and it worked by a lesson a week in Year 9 for a term to give you a taster of the subject. Then in Year 10/11 you can take GCSE Classical Civ or Latin. I took Latin, the class was about 6 of us, then about half of that class went on to do Classical Civilization a-level with about 9 of us at AS, down to 4 at A2 (still better than Physics which went from about 15 to 4)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending