Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi im in year 12 and want to study chemistry with year in industry or phyiscs with foundation year at university

I currently have a 1 week placement in a local chemical company coming up in the summer, I have done 2 4 day courses at 2 separate universities where you are given a random scenario (both were to do with engineering) and put into a random team of people from other schools in the country and asked to design and produce a solution to solve the problem then test it and present to lectures at each uni what we did. I also have a part time job involving lots of different things including helping customers (its at a boat yard)

I don't think that I really have much and my GCSE's are quite weak compared to alot of people, at my six form anyway (10 C's 1 B 1 D) so my question is:

What can I do to put into my personal statement that I can talk about and what universities like? either in school during free periods or outside of school preferably something on a sunday or in the week during the evening

thanks for any help and taking your time to read

ReputationRep:
    well you really want to talk about..(not in any particular order)

school you want to tell them what your currently studying and how you a passionate for the subject you are doing and hope to continue to higher lever education.

volunteer and charity work

if you are apart of any clubs school /outside of school (a lot like sports since they have teams they want people for)

if you have had any responsibilities like role caller and senior prefect or head boy

work placement experience in the field you are applying for

if you have had any jobs

and any competitions you have done and what you learned from them

thats all i can think of at the moment but say how they have shown you how to better yourself and developed because of these things etc

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neko-panda)
    well you really want to talk about..(not in any particular order)

school you want to tell them what your currently studying and how you a passionate for the subject you are doing and hope to continue to higher lever education.

volunteer and charity work

if you are apart of any clubs school /outside of school (a lot like sports since they have teams they want people for)

if you have had any responsibilities like role caller and senior prefect or head boy

work placement experience in the field you are applying for

if you have had any jobs

and any competitions you have done and what you learned from them

thats all i can think of at the moment but say how they have shown you how to better yourself and developed because of these things etc

hope this helps
    Thanks thats a great help!

does it matter where/what volunteering I do? (we have a few charity shops in my town)

ReputationRep:
    no they like to see you volunteering anywhere glad it helped

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neko-panda)
    no they like to see you volunteering anywhere glad it helped
    thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmadmax321)
    Thanks thats a great help!

does it matter where/what volunteering I do? (we have a few charity shops in my town)
    What matters a lot more than where you do it is how you are able to sell it, i.e. that you can demonstrate how it has helped you and improved your character and skillset.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.