Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    My partner and I are coming into a bit of money at the end of May through his work. Most is going into savings etc but we both work hard so fancy a treat without using up all my holiday time so a few days/weekend is ideal!

What cities would people recommend are worth visting? We dont want to fly too far (time/cost/ i dont fly well) so probably 4/5 hrs max. We love buildings and heritage, not too fussed for shopping or nightlife. We love good food. Problem is we want somewhere niether of us have been which gets rid of Paris, Rome, Budapest, Berlin, Florence, Krakow, Prague...the usual contenders!

Any interesting ideas?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I liked Brussels...how about there? Amsterdam is a pretty popular choice too and the flight is short. Barcelona, Madrid, Dublin? Morocco? I'd love to go there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    My partner and I are coming into a bit of money at the end of May through his work. Most is going into savings etc but we both work hard so fancy a treat without using up all my holiday time so a few days/weekend is ideal!

What cities would people recommend are worth visting? We dont want to fly too far (time/cost/ i dont fly well) so probably 4/5 hrs max. We love buildings and heritage, not too fussed for shopping or nightlife. We love good food. Problem is we want somewhere niether of us have been which gets rid of Paris, Rome, Budapest, Berlin, Florence, Krakow, Prague...the usual contenders!

Any interesting ideas?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    A few suggestions for the People Who Have Already Done Everything, grin. :rolleyes:

Barcelona - not on your list - have you been?? It's very worth a visit.
    Athens - still great, despite all the misery stories.
    Madrid - really lovely city, great galleries/romantic. Excellent food.
    Vienna - lovely, lovely destination, wondrous culture, very beautiful and (from the UK) somewhat under-appreciated.

And a local one - Edinburgh! Great for a weekend if you've never been.

ReputationRep:
    Belfast

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys!
    Barcelona and Vienna have been done. Tempted by ireland as ive never been but not sure how interested he would be. Ill suggest it!
    Is Madrid good? I have to admit I've not heard great things, heard its very run down etc but that might not be true!
    The boy has done Amsterdam, but not Brussels I don't think, might be a contender. I'd like to go to Morocco but (rightly or wrongly) the bf is military and a bit edgy about going to any African/Middle Eastern areas in case anything starts off atm.

Im quite tempted by Dubrovnik, anyone been there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredscarecrow)
    Cheers guys!
    Barcelona and Vienna have been done. Tempted by ireland as ive never been but not sure how interested he would be. Ill suggest it!
    Is Madrid good? I have to admit I've not heard great things, heard its very run down etc but that might not be true!

Im quite tempted by Dubrovnik, anyone been there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't find Madrid "run down", it has a lot of old-world charm in some areas.

Dubrovnik is wonderful, well worth a break, as is Split, further up the coast. Croatia generally ticks a lot of boxes.

ReputationRep:
    I can vouch for Madrid as well. It's a lot less crowded and overdone than Barcelona but its really interesting. If you're a history geek like me or you just like nice buildings and pavement cafes I'd go there.
    Or I'd suggest heading to Northern France. Normandy is a sound bet since the countrysides really lovely and there's a whole lot of history. Plus its easy to drive to if that appeals to you.

Oh.. and Munich! Sitting in a Beer Garden on a warm evening is something else.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, thank you! Old worldy is just our style so Madrid sounds like an option. Ill look into it. Cheers! And great that you enjoyed Dubrovnik, i'd also heard good things about Split so further confirmation about that is excellent!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have either of you been to Venice?

ReputationRep:
    If absolute need for good weather is not an issue and cost of living is not an issue both Stockholm and Copenhagen may be worth considering. (they are expensive) The weather can be pleasant in May but it can also be poor, a bit of luck is needed. We spend a fair bit of time in Sweden (Am flying over for a week at the end of this month) and Easter time can be sun and shirtsleeves or 3 layers of clothing and a hat.

Stockholm has the old town (a few too many tourist shops), boat trips, the Vasa museum and some interesting architecture plus no doubt other places of interest we missed.

Copenhagen has Nyhaven, boat trips, the little mermaid, the palace and Tivoli. (Rides, it you like that sort of thing but also live music and dining in a park setting) plus other places of interest.

Not sure about cheap flights to Copenhagen (we usually drive to Denmark via the Harwich ferry but this would not work for a really short break- Copenhagen is circa 3.5 hour drive from ferry port after an overnight ferry) but Ryanair fly in and out of Skavsta airport which, whilst a good distance from Stockholm, has a good bus service to/from Stockholm.

ReputationRep:
    Marrakech? Dubrovnik? Stockholm? Oslo? Cairo? Tel Aviv?

ReputationRep:
    I'm terrified of boats so Venice has never really appealed. We were tempted by Copenhagen I have to admit
    sunshine isnt a must but after the dire weather I have to admit it would be nice. Dubrovnik is winning in my.mind but i'll pass ideas onto the bf, cheers guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely loved Athens!
    Also someone above mentioned Normandy, Mont Saint Michel (sp?) is a wicked place to visit plus you've got all the WW stuff too.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiina)
    I absolutely loved Athens!
    Also someone above mentioned Normandy, Mont Saint Michel (sp?) is a wicked place to visit plus you've got all the WW stuff too.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Been to mont st michel! It is beautiful though. We plan to drive along the north coast and visit all the bunkers etc on a longer holiday in the future. Thank you though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have you ever been to paris .

ReputationRep:
    That's an understandable reason to avoid Venice! Lisbon is another place I would recommend!

ReputationRep:
    Monaco, Granada, Turin, Innsbruck or Vaduz (for Neschwansteinschloss), Vilnius, Riga, Tromso

ReputationRep:
    Gibraltar?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colinthepod)
    Have either of you been to Venice?
    I agree with Venice, if you love heritage it's a must

Posted from TSR Mobilek

ReputationRep:
    We looked at Monaco and were very tempted but it's so pricy!

Some great ideas guys thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.