The Student Room Group

A level maths

Hey...so I'm doing the first year of my a level maths in year 11 but I'm going to a different school for sixthform and they do a different board to what I'm currently doing. I've already done my core 1 exam and I got an A, just core 2 and decision left to do in the summer. But the school I'm moving to says I have to do the whole AS year again but with their board...only problem is I want to do medicine in university so I can't resit a whole year so now I'm confused as to whether I should carry on with AS or drop it and do a gcse in statistics instead? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Don't know why they would make you sit it again, i know someone who had the same issue, they sat C1 and C2 on AQA board but moved 6th form and had to carry on with MEI but they didnt make her resit, thats the whole point of ums surely?
Call up the exam boards and find out if you'll be able to continue onto the 'new' exam board's A2 Modules after doing the AS on a different exam board.
Reply 3
Original post by strawberries123
Hey...so I'm doing the first year of my a level maths in year 11 but I'm going to a different school for sixthform and they do a different board to what I'm currently doing. I've already done my core 1 exam and I got an A, just core 2 and decision left to do in the summer. But the school I'm moving to says I have to do the whole AS year again but with their board...only problem is I want to do medicine in university so I can't resit a whole year so now I'm confused as to whether I should carry on with AS or drop it and do a gcse in statistics instead? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_Guide_to_Changing_Schools_at_the_End_of_AS_Year#Changing_exam_boards

If the exam-boards don't match, you will need to change exam-board for those subjects. All this means is that your module points are transferred over to the new exam board, so it is as if you did your A-level with the new exam board the whole time. For example, you may essentially be doing e.g. AQA AS Maths + Edexcel A2 Maths, but your AS points need to be 'transferred' to your new exam-board, in this case Edexcel. There will be no 'loss' where points are transferred between equivalent modules (which may have different weightings) on different exam-boards. Transferring exam-board(s) is usually not a problem, but read on carefully as you need to check if there any specific details regarding transfers for your subject...

They shouldn't make you do it again if you get good results the first time...
Reply 4

I do not really know what you want from the new school

You, presumably, cannot attend A2 maths lessons alongside the AS courses that you would be doing so what would you do

Why is your school doing AS maths in Y11, that is something which most schools stopped doing quite some time ago

I especially do not understand this bit

only problem is I want to do medicine in university so I can't resit a whole year

you would be in Y12 so you would not be re-sitting a year

Why would taking A Level maths in Y12 and Y13 affect your medicine application
Reply 5
Medical schools don't like an A-Level taken early so it may actually be beneficial to resit in Yrs 12 and 13 although I can understand why that may frustrate you.

Medical schools don't like A-Levels taken early as they require evidence of at least 3 A-Levels taken at the same time as proof that candidates can cope with that workload (as opposed to an A-Level one year and then 2 in Yrs 12 and 13) and therefore would be better placed to cope with the workload in the medicine course.
Original post by Albino
Don't know why they would make you sit it again, i know someone who had the same issue, they sat C1 and C2 on AQA board but moved 6th form and had to carry on with MEI but they didnt make her resit, thats the whole point of ums surely?

That's what I thought at first, but the head of maths of the school called me up and said it wasn't a possibility as I do AQA and they do Edexcel and cover a few different things...they also do S1 and M1 but I'm doing D1 so they said I would have to sit either M1 or S1 as well instead of D1 and would have to redo C1 and C2 as well & he also said that I would have to resit C1 to get over 95 ums as I only got 91.
Original post by TenOfThem
I do not really know what you want from the new school

You, presumably, cannot attend A2 maths lessons alongside the AS courses that you would be doing so what would you do

Why is your school doing AS maths in Y11, that is something which most schools stopped doing quite some time ago

I especially do not understand this bit

you would be in Y12 so you would not be re-sitting a year

Why would taking A Level maths in Y12 and Y13 affect your medicine application

It's just something my school started to do last year, I don't really know why but it was what all the students did in my class who got A*'s in year 10. If I was to do the whole AS in year 11 and redo it all again in year 12 with a different exam board then I would be resitting the whole year again but with a different exam board...& universities don't tend to like applicants that have to redo exams according to their websites and course details as this would put me to a disadvantage with people who did all exams first time and didn't resit
Reply 8
It's just something my school started to do last year, I don't really know why but it was what all the students did in my class who got A*'s in year 10. If I was to do the whole AS in year 11 and redo it all again in year 12 with a different exam board then I would be resitting the whole year again but with a different exam board...& universities don't tend to like applicants that have to redo exams according to their websites and course details as this would put me to a disadvantage with people who did all exams first time and didn't resit

Well, early entry can disadvantage students

But this additional issue can be explained by your school in the reference

I ask again, what other option is there for the new school?

In principle C1 and C2 could be transferred but D1 is pretty different across the 2 boards

But when would you do the rest?
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TenOfThem
Well, early entry can disadvantage students

But this additional issue can be explained by your school in the reference

I ask again, what other option is there for the new school ?

For the new school, there are also other students in the same position as me however they are doing the same exam board as the school so it won't be a problem for them so the school will either put us in A2 lessons as all of sixthform tend to do maths at the same time or would make us self teach bits or we would have to catch up in free sessions...
Original post by Paddy S
Medical schools don't like an A-Level taken early so it may actually be beneficial to resit in Yrs 12 and 13 although I can understand why that may frustrate you.

Medical schools don't like A-Levels taken early as they require evidence of at least 3 A-Levels taken at the same time as proof that candidates can cope with that workload (as opposed to an A-Level one year and then 2 in Yrs 12 and 13) and therefore would be better placed to cope with the workload in the medicine course.

Do you think I would be better off doing GCSE statistics? Or just carrying on with AS and trying to find a way to transfer my grades over? I guess I could just do four a levels to A2 maybe and finish off maths in year 12 if I could then I would be left with three in year 13?
Original post by Qwertish
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A_Guide_to_Changing_Schools_at_the_End_of_AS_Year#Changing_exam_boards

They shouldn't make you do it again if you get good results the first time...

Thankyou! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest