Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just received a letter from St Johns (cam) about my accommodation for next year and the pirces are:
    Bed-sitting room = £717-767 per term
    Set = £737-835 per term
    This is also subject to the annual rent increase which was 9.5% last year!
    I have friends living in London who pay less! Does that seem a little high to anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cool_guy769)
    I've just received a letter from St Johns (cam) about my accommodation for next year and the pirces are:
    Bed-sitting room = £717-767 per term
    Set = £737-835 per term
    This is also subject to the annual rent increase which was 9.5% last year!
    I have friends living in London who pay less! Does that seem a little high to anyone else?

Yikes!! <pays £360 a term>

ReputationRep:
    Clare prices range between £540-£670 per term this year. I believe this is likely to be subject to a 7.7% increase yearly for the next 3 or 5 years to move it more in line with costs... or some such rubbish. I'm willing to bet they wouldn't increase the conference charges at the same rate.

The facilities are largely good enough though, it's the KFC that's the main rip off here.

It should be noted that Johns is in financial difficulties and are trying to hit students to sort it out...

ReputationRep:
    The joy of over-priced uni accommodation. Where I am currently (Essex) living rents are £70 per week for an en-suite room (quite a lot of Essex accommodation is en-suite - roughly 50-60%) I have to admit that I only pay 50 due to being a Student Tutor and getting a rent reduction of £20 per week.
    The St John's graduate hostels are apparently between £220 and £320 per month, so next year I will probably have to pay a bit more (then again - no fees if the research council decides to give me funding - can't afford it otherwise anyway - why does everything have to be about money...)

ReputationRep:
    Am I being charged too much per term!?! I got my letter and they are charging me 5565 pounds per year making it 1878 pounds per term!

As far as I know of the only justifiable answer is that they are including every thing in, meals, accommodation, books, computer, and internet connection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    Am I being charged too much per term!?! I got my letter and they are charging me 5565 pounds per year making it 1878 pounds per term!

As far as I know of the only justifiable answer is that they are including every thing in, meals, accommodation, books, computer, and internet connection.

Where is that? They should provide a break down as well (i.e. basically telling you whether it's "all in" or not). Surely thsi goes to prove that the Student Loan, which is mine and many others' only source of income, should be raised to at least £5000.

ReputationRep:
    blimey!

everyone's talking about a lot of money here! i thought Oxbridge were trying to make it cheaper to study there in order to attract students from a less privileged background?

i'm getting quite worried now for when my accommodation forms arrive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    Where is that? They should provide a break down as well (i.e. basically telling you whether it's "all in" or not). Surely thsi goes to prove that the Student Loan, which is mine and many others' only source of income, should be raised to at least £5000.
    Well I know that they include all the things I mentioned so its not so bad, but I wanted to know if your prices include what I mentioned, specially meals. That way I know where I stand.

ReputationRep:
    Well I know that they include all the things I mentioned so its not so bad, but I wanted to know if your prices include what I mentioned, specially meals. That way I know where I stand.
    You seem to be evading my question. You ex SHAC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    You seem to be evading my question. You ex SHAC?
    I did not evade your question, in the "if we could stop time" thread I asked what you meant by SHAC, as i cannot answer a question with out knowing what it means.

ReputationRep:
    I did not evade your question, in the "if we could stop time" thread I asked what you meant by SHAC, as i cannot answer a question with out knowing what it means.
    Fair cop, sorry I missed that one.

Do you actually live in York then, as I would have though most people would be aware of SHAC.

You St Peters/Olaves then?

ReputationRep:

Do you actually live in York then, as I would have though most people would be aware of SHAC.

Give the guy a break Joey, just ask straight out 'What school did you go to?'

It can't be that hard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    Give the guy a break Joey, just ask straight out 'What school did you go to?'

It can't be that hard
    Ah, yes but with a name like Saintsin, he had to go to either SHAC or St Peters.

ReputationRep:

LOL yes I live in York and when I searched the meaning of SHAC on the internet I would have never guest it was Stop Huntington Animal Cruelty what you where asking me about, but since now you mentioned it to me I never heard of it. So no I am no ex-member.

ReputationRep:
    LOL yes I live in York and when I searched the meaning of SHAC on the internet I would have never guest it was Stop Huntington Animal Cruelty what you where asking me about, but since now you mentioned it to me I never heard of it. So no I am no ex-member.
    lol. I'm talking about Ampleforth College. Commonly known as SHAC. Sorry we have got our wires crossed. I thought with a name like that you must have gone to Forth. Deepest apologies.

ReputationRep:
    I hadn't twigged that SHAC was the animal rights gimps either.

Those guys are such absolute d*********s. I can't actually describe how much i detest them.

There's a family that lives down our road, and their dad had the vaguest connection with Huntington research (i think his company acted as lawyer to them or something). These guys picketed their house, spraypainted their fence, abused them, intimidated used loudhailers, drums, the works. The guy wasn't even empolyed by the company!

It really disgusted me.

ReputationRep:
    lol. I'm talking about Ampleforth College. Commonly known as SHAC. Sorry we have got our wires crossed. I thought with a name like that you must have gone to Forth. Deepest apologies.
    Thats why you go for the direct approach...

Repeat after me 'What school do you go to?'

There! Wasn't that easy!

ReputationRep:
    No apologies needed, I did not go to any posh public school, mine was a state comprehensive under achieving school below the national average called Oaklands school. The name Saintsin was just some words that sounded like my Spanish second name, Sainz.

ReputationRep:

There! Wasn't that easy!
    <sighs> Joey, a soon-to-be member of the Cambridge "And which school did you go to?" club.

ReputationRep:

There! Wasn't that easy!

I've seen you Winchester boys pussy footing (probably not you I must admit) around people from Eton who come on these boards, not asking straight out. Eton being your greatest rival of course. Ampleforth is Stonyhursts Eton. Although I actually went to the junior school there. Oh the shame

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.