Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    <sighs> Joey, a soon-to-be member of the Cambridge "And which school did you go to?" club.
    *Defensive* Well it starts conversations!

Yep, I confess, I am member of the socially inept, shy public schoolboy: no idea how to talk to anyone, especially girls (girls, sorry, what?).

Hopefully a gap year will cure me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saintsin)
    No apologies needed, I did not go to any posh public school, mine was a state comprehensive under achieving school below the national average called Oaklands school. The name Saintsin was just some words that sounded like my Spanish second name, Sainz.
    Ah, fair play. Lol, it would make sense. Well done for getting into Cambridge, hope you do well. What subject you doing?

ReputationRep:
    I'll never forget when I phoned up on results day and the Admissions tutor said "And which school?" and she misheard me.. "Westminster?"

"No, no. Westlands."

"Sorry?"

"Westlands Technology COllege"

"Oh."

<giggling alice>

ReputationRep:
    <sighs> Joey, a soon-to-be member of the Cambridge "And which school did you go to?" club.

Like Winorloose said, it starts conversation...

And I only really use it for our rival schools. I wouldnt ask someone if they went to Winchester for example or Eton. Obviously i'd find out if I got to know them better, but it certainly wouldnt be something i'd ask first, that only applies to Sedbergh Scum and Ampleforth really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joey_Johns)
    I've seen you Winchester boys pussy footing (probably not you I must admit) around people from Eton who come on these boards, not asking straight out. Eton being your greatest rival of course. Ampleforth is Stonyhursts Eton. Although I actually went to the junior school there. Oh the shame
    I thought that was Sedburgh?

Anyway, I try to aviod indirect references as a rule, since they do have a habit of backfiring and making you look like a fool (see example).

As for Etonians. Well, I simply don't have the time for them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by winorloose)
    *Defensive* Well it starts conversations!

Yep, I confess, I am member of the socially inept, shy public schoolboy: no idea how to talk to anyone, especially girls (girls, sorry, what?).

Hopefully a gap year will cure me
    Poor lad. Talk to 4Ed, he is in a similar situation I believe, he is a very nice chap. He went to a school close to your heart

ReputationRep:
    I thought that was Sedburgh?

Anyway, I try to aviod indirect references as a rule, since they do have a habit of backfiring and making you look like a fool (see example).

As for Etonians. Well, I simply don't have the time for them
    Bleugh, Sedbergh is just the scummiset place on the planet! They produce trolls you know.

ReputationRep:
    Poor lad. Talk to 4Ed, he is in a similar situation I believe, he is a very nice chap. He went to a school close to your heart
    Silly boy. Well we can't blame people for where their parents send them.

On a serious note, it does happen. Sad but true.

(I managed a misdiagnosis until I went up for interview. Still a bunch of very nervous teenagers and a pool table (and some beer) is usually fairly conducive to conversation. I'll have to wait and see for the full evaluation)

ReputationRep:
    I'll never forget when I phoned up on results day and the Admissions tutor said "And which school?" and she misheard me.. "Westminster?"

"No, no. Westlands."

"Sorry?"

"Oh."

<giggling alice>
    lol, yes. I must admit there is a bit of what you describe, but I try not to if possible. I cant really see whats wrong with it though. LAst saturday I was talking to this guy at a party and I recognised a Yorkshire accent straight away and asked him if he came from Yorkshire, and had a joke about LAncs v Yorks. I cant see any difference between that and asking what school someone went to. But maybe thats just me

ReputationRep:

"No, no. Westlands."

"Sorry?"

"Oh."

<giggling alice>
    It does work the other way though. I was talking to a girl (shock! horror! :eek: ) in cambridge, she was from Macclesfield, and I know someone who lives there. I said so, and she asked how. Cue school naming, and expression of disgust (thoug, kind girl, I think she moderated it). 'Oh. Posh school.' *Timid* 'Erm....yeeess' 'Humph'

Quiet a conversation killer!

(Of course i exagurate)

ReputationRep:
    It does work the other way though. I was talking to a girl (shock! horror! :eek: ) in cambridge, she was from Macclesfield, and I know someone who lives there. I said so, and she asked how. Cue school naming, and expression of disgust (thoug, kind girl, I think she moderated it). 'Oh. Posh school.' *Timid* 'Erm....yeeess' 'Humph'

Quiet a conversation killer!

(Of course i exagurate)

I know exactly what you mean. There were these really hot Clitheroe Grammar chicks that me and some of my friends were chasing a couple of years ago. When they found out we went to the posh school up the road they didnt want to know

On the other hand, being a catholic godfather type school, my old school got loads of catholic state school kids coming all the time. We took advantage of this especially when an all girls school arrived from Burnley They certainly didnt find us unnatractive!

ReputationRep:
    I know exactly what you mean. There were these really hot Clitheroe Grammar chicks that me and some of my friends were chasing a couple of years ago. When they found out we went to the posh school up the road they didnt want to know

On the other hand, being a catholic godfather type school, my old school got loads of catholic state school kids coming all the time. We took advantage of this especially when an all girls school arrived from Burnley They certainly didnt find us unnatractive!
    Lucky bugger. There has been a distinct lack of socials at my house over the five years i've been here (ie none).

Still with types like meerkat kicking around there's always hope

ReputationRep:
    Winorloose, I hope this amuses you, as much as it did me

''Well, I am personally interested in British Boarding Schools. Thus after doing much research, I have come to the conclusion that the "Big 5 Public Schools" - Eton, Harrow, Rugby, Winchester, Shrewsbury along with perhaps Marlborough and Charterhouse, serve as ones with the most applicants and attract the most entrants. You might say that other public schools attract fewer pupils but that's normal since they're not part of the big 5/7. Well. I find Eton to provide a very holistic education for a boy and I visited it last December where I met the classic Eton gentleman. I was not disappointed. If Eton can produce young men of such calibre, surely many would love to send their children there. They might not have the money, or the status or the connections, but there is one hope- The Eton dream. With that in grasp, one will work to succeed in life and social circles, perhaps one day to give their children a chance to study at one of the Public Schools. Floreat Etona.''

I dont think you need to guess who composed such tripe

ReputationRep:
    <despairs>

JJ, you manage to turn nearly EVERY thread into a school-naming farce. I hope this doesn't reflect your "real life" interactions!

ReputationRep:
    <despairs>

JJ, you manage to turn nearly EVERY thread into a school-naming farce. I hope this doesn't reflect your "real life" interactions!
    Untrue Blissy, how dare you accuse me of such actions...

I talk about rugby too

On a serious note, no I certainly do not talk about school in every day life, although I must admit I might give the impression I do

ReputationRep:
    Winorloose, I hope this amuses you, as much as it did me

''Well, I am personally interested in British Boarding Schools. Thus after doing much research, I have come to the conclusion that the "Big 5 Public Schools" - Eton, Harrow, Rugby, Winchester, Shrewsbury along with perhaps Marlborough and Charterhouse, serve as ones with the most applicants and attract the most entrants. You might say that other public schools attract fewer pupils but that's normal since they're not part of the big 5/7. Well. I find Eton to provide a very holistic education for a boy and I visited it last December where I met the classic Eton gentleman. I was not disappointed. If Eton can produce young men of such calibre, surely many would love to send their children there. They might not have the money, or the status or the connections, but there is one hope- The Eton dream. With that in grasp, one will work to succeed in life and social circles, perhaps one day to give their children a chance to study at one of the Public Schools. Floreat Etona.''

I dont think you need to guess who composed such tripe
    Shrewsbury! What the hell is Shrewsbury doing up there! I've never even met anyone at Shrewsbury! (Apologies to any shrews, had to conform to the stereotype arrogance at least once :rolleyes: )

Yeah I was reading that earlier today: why aren't there more of them? As for 'the classic Eton gentleman', it is, has been, and always will be a myth. Still she's young (I think) there's plenty of time for some Flashman cad to disabuse her of the notion

The yanks have the american dream, us brits far out do them. We have the 'Eton dream'. What a shame 99% of us will never experience it.

And now for some light relief:

An Etonian, a Wykehamist and a Harrovian are all standing around talking to a girl. The girl wants to sit down. The Etonian calls for a chair. The Wykehamist gets. The Harrovian sits in it.

ReputationRep:
    <despairs>

To be fair I did aid and abet the process, though I blame him: he's corrupting me! (I never normally do it...)

ReputationRep:
    To be fair I did aid and abet the process, though I blame him: he's corrupting me! (I never normally do it...)
    I see you ahve negative rep. I shall amend that tommorrow, your a nice chap.

ReputationRep:
    On a serious note, no I certainly do not talk about school in every day life, although I must admit I might give the impression I do
    Thank God for that!

Although referring to "hot Clitheroe grammar chicks" and whoever these Burnley girls were doesn't exactly help you either. However, I know two guys who went to Shrewsbury (just down the road from us) and they were just the same. Mind you, the Girls' High encouraged them enough :rolleyes:

Please, please stop corrupting each other! That's my job

(Original post by Saintsin)
    Am I being charged too much per term!?! I got my letter and they are charging me 5565 pounds per year making it 1878 pounds per term!

As far as I know of the only justifiable answer is that they are including every thing in, meals, accommodation, books, computer, and internet connection.
    Where are you going, Saintsin? That sounds like crazy prices - nearly 3 times what I pay, and my room is fabulous!

ReputationRep:
    Where are you going, Saintsin? That sounds like crazy prices - nearly 3 times what I pay, and my room is fabulous![/QUOTE]
    Hughes Hall, 1125 University fees and 5565 maintenance X 3 years. All inclusive, well thats what the email told me when I asked about the prices high prices.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.