Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Am I definitely pregnant? Watch

Today I took three home pregnancy tests, all were positive. But it was in the afternoon (not the first wee of the day) and not at the normal start date of my period.
    I then went to the doctors afterwards, to be tested again, the doctor was scrutinizing the test stick for about a minute, then told me it was positive.
    So none of these tests were taken at the correct time it says on the instructions, I know it's an incredibly slim chance, but could they be wrong? Can you get false positive results? Could I have some sort of hormonal condition that is producing these results?
    Sorry to ask on here, but i'm scared of researching everything right now, it's not sunk in, I just can't get my head around it.

ReputationRep:
    You can get false positives but it's very unlikely, and the chance of it happening 4/4 is ridiculously small I'm afraid. I don't know of any hormonal conditions that would cause you to test positively, although I haven't researched it, and the timing things are mostly there to guard against false negatives rather than false positives. It looks like you're almost definitely pregnant I'm afraid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    You can get false positives but it's very unlikely, and the chance of it happening 4/4 is ridiculously small I'm afraid. I don't know of any hormonal conditions that would cause you to test positively, although I haven't researched it, and the timing things are mostly there to guard against false negatives rather than false positives. It looks like you're almost definitely pregnant I'm afraid.
    Choriocarcinoma and hydatidiform moles can both cause elevated hCG. Certain reproductive tract tumours can also cause elevated hCG.

Of course, as you said, it means jack **** in this situation. OP, you're pregnant. Mazletov.

ReputationRep:
    I think you are most definitely pregnant. Feel free to PM if you need to chat, 6 months ago I was in the exact same position so I completely understand how you feel

ReputationRep:
    I'm afraid, as the guy above stated, you're pregnant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hippysnake)
    Choriocarcinoma and hydatidiform moles can both cause elevated hCG. Certain reproductive tract tumours can also cause elevated hCG.

Of course, as you said, it means jack **** in this situation. OP, you're pregnant. Mazletov.
    Damn, should have thought of hydatidiform moles. Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Babies coming AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH brace your vaginaaa *in the tune of flash gordon*

Yep OP your pregnant congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob da Mop)
    Damn, should have thought of hydatidiform moles. Thanks though
    Nah worries brah.

To be honest, I never quite got my head around complete/partial hydatidiform moles. I'll leave it to the Obs and Gynae lot y'get whaimsayin!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Today I took three home pregnancy tests, all were positive. But it was in the afternoon (not the first wee of the day) and not at the normal start date of my period.
    I then went to the doctors afterwards, to be tested again, the doctor was scrutinizing the test stick for about a minute, then told me it was positive.
    So none of these tests were taken at the correct time it says on the instructions, I know it's an incredibly slim chance, but could they be wrong? Can you get false positive results? Could I have some sort of hormonal condition that is producing these results?
    Sorry to ask on here, but i'm scared of researching everything right now, it's not sunk in, I just can't get my head around it.
    You are pregnant. The test tests for progesterone in your urine, a hormone produced by your ovaries prior to ovulation and by the growing foetus after implantation in the womb. There are other explanations such as multiple false positive results (this is a practical impossibility as the chance of four false positives is approaching zero) and a couple of very rare pathological causes. However if you have been sexually active within the last week or two there is afar far far far far far more likely explanation, and that's that you are indeed pregnant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sereni)
    You are pregnant. The test tests for progesterone in your urine, a hormone produced by your ovaries prior to ovulation and by the growing foetus after implantation in the womb. There are other explanations such as multiple false positive results (this is a practical impossibility as the chance of four false positives is approaching zero) and a couple of very rare pathological causes. However if you have been sexually active within the last week or two there is afar far far far far far more likely explanation, and that's that you are indeed pregnant
    Progesterone? You sure it's not hCG? Progesterone isn't excreted in the urine anyway, I always thought the metabolite (can't remember the name) was conjugated with glucoronides and sulfates and then excreted in the urine/bile.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but taking the test in the afternoon instead of the morning makes it more likely to get a negative result because the urine (therefore pregnancy hormones) are less concentrated.

You should go back to your doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Progesterone? You sure it's not hCG? Progesterone isn't excreted in the urine anyway, I always thought the metabolite (can't remember the name) was conjugated with glucoronides and sulfates and then excreted in the urine/bile.
    You are correct. The modern testing strips are very sensitive measuring BhCG down to ~30. Progesterone is measured if it is unsure if the pregnancy is continuing as you would expect it to be high. If the progesterone starts falling it would suggest the pregnancy is failing. Perhaps this is what the other poster was thinking?

ReputationRep:
    Urg my bad, been doing the cycle hormones nd o ly ever have enough room n my head for 4-5 separate hormones

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    oh dear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by therisenmitten)
    Sorry, but taking the test in the afternoon instead of the morning makes it more likely to get a negative result because the urine (therefore pregnancy hormones) are less concentrated.

You should go back to your doctor.
    I'm getting negged. Is this not true?
    Can someone explain?

ReputationRep:
    I have been there, I also took three before I went to my doctortle boy is 6 months old this week and I wouldn't change him for the world. If you need to talk to anyone then message me because I know that it's a shock and there are so many things to think about, just make sure you're certain before you decide what you want to d, either way it's got to be the best decision for you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.