Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

A-Level English Language (A2) or Language + Literature (AS)? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Short question: Which would be better for me to take if I want to apply for LLB Law: English Language A2 or English Language + Literature AS?

Long question:
    I just started a 18-month Edexcel A-Levels course in January 2013, and am taking Mathematics, Further Mathematics (though I might drop this or take it up to AS only), Economics and Accounting.

I'm planning to apply for an LLB so I want to take an essay-based traditional A-Level as well (as a private candidate as my college doesn't offer more than 4 subjects per student). I'm from Malaysia so my choices are limited; I decided against taking Edexcel History because it's impossible to get reference material here; I don't have the option of subjects like Government & Politics, Classics, etc.

Apart from English Literature which I don't want to take because I don't think I'd be able to cope especially because my other subjects have a lot of workload on their own, I'm not sure how much I like literature but I probably don't like it enough, and I've never studied lit before, British Council Malaysia only has the following options for an English A-Level (CIE only):

English Language 8683 (AS) for 2013 and 9093 (A2) for 2014
    (CIE is replacing the 8693 AS-only paper with the 9093 AS & A2 paper starting next year, so I can do the 8693 paper this year and take the A2 papers of 9093 next year to gain my full A-Level. That means no past years...)

English Language + Literature 8695 (AS only)

I'd like to know if it'd be better if I take Lang A2 or langlit AS if I want to apply for law. I know lit is generally more respected but I don't think I can handle it.

Whichever CIE English paper I choose, I'll be sitting for AS in Oct/Nov 2013 and (if applicable) A2 in May/June 2014. (My Edexcel papers are in May/June 2013, January 2014 and May/June 2014.)

Help?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.