Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Guys will only really talk to me when they're drunk Watch

So basically I've found that whenever I'm around guys that I don't know they always completely ignore me, honestly its like I'm invisible! However if they are drunk I always get guys coming up to talk to me.

I was wondering whether its because a) i might come across as intimidating in some way (I'm quite quiet) or b) I'm so ugly that guys will only pay attention to me when beer goggles come into play.

What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    They may be shy themselves, so you being quiet will not help things, they may be thinking the same thing about you.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh if your at uni friendship groups develop and people may feel the social barrier of the friendzone is already developped, so you go out to a club or a bar and some drunk guy trys it with you.

You spend the whole of saturday hanging in bed thinking im glad i never had to deal with some random in my bed while i throw up into the washing up bowl.

Sunday soon comes, the most over rated day in the week, it passes by boringly with the occassional meme or embarassing night club picture entertaining you for 5 seconds.

Monday begins, you sit in the lecture hall looking over at the hottie, they hug their partner after class, you go to nandos with your last £20 and order water but use the soda despenser anyway; life is good again.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that i lost track while on the toilet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nvmthename)
    Tbh if your at uni friendship groups develop and people may feel the social barrier of the friendzone is already developped, so you go out to a club or a bar and some drunk guy trys it with you.

You spend the whole of saturday hanging in bed thinking im glad i never had to deal with some random in my bed while i throw up into the washing up bowl.

Sunday soon comes, the most over rated day in the week, it passes by boringly with the occassional meme or embarassing night club picture entertaining you for 5 seconds.

Monday begins, you sit in the lecture hall looking over at the hottie, they hug their partner after class, you go to nandos with your last £20 and order water but use the soda despenser anyway; life is good again.
    Awesome bit of writing there. Touching.

ReputationRep:
    Find better guys to talk to? or initiate more conversation

I dunno, just be yourself :holmes: I don't know of many guys who blatantly ignore someone, nevermind a majority of guys

ReputationRep:
    b) You must be clapped.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. Beer goggles. lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So basically I've found that whenever I'm around guys that I don't know they always completely ignore me, honestly its like I'm invisible! However if they are drunk I always get guys coming up to talk to me.

I was wondering whether its because a) i might come across as intimidating in some way (I'm quite quiet) or b) I'm so ugly that guys will only pay attention to me when beer goggles come into play.

What do you guys think?
    You've answered your own question there, how can you expect conversation if you don't encourage it by opening up to people and talking to them.

Look at it from the point of view of the other person for a moment. In a crowd the human eye only notices the most stunning, or unique looking, people. Those who look different, or are acting differently, or wear different clothes or have unusual hair or anything that's outside the norm in the surrounding scene. The prettiest, the ugliest and the most eccentric get noticed and everyone else is just kinda there. There's maybe 5% of society at the most that will be consciously noticed by a stranger who is actively doing something, and even then a lot will be afraid to strike up conversation whilst sober for fear of embarrassing themselves.

If you're not doing anything to stand out and your not engaging them in conversation then you become just another face in a crowd, just visual background noise in their eyeline. This is where the feeling of being invisible comes from.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2013
Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.