Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Lottery winner carries on claiming welfare. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Hmmmm. So what has the DWP said to the lottery winner regarding this, because if I had even £100 left over from my last wages (I had just lost my job) the DWP would write to me ASAP with the view to putting JSA on hold untill said monies are exhausted. So I wonder how the lottery winner is able to keep claiming welfare?
    Is that right? I don't know if there was a different rule kicking in there about pay in arrears, but generally the rule is that you can have up to £6K in savings before they start to reduce JSA.

All these lottery winners, taking our money. WHEN WILL SOMEONE CRACK DOWN ON LOTTO SCUM?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ham22)
    All these lottery winners, taking our money. WHEN WILL SOMEONE CRACK DOWN ON LOTTO SCUM?!
    Yeah, these people, coming into the posh suburbs and villages and taking our mansions, squatting in the aisles at Waitrose and driving their bloody Range Rovers! Where will it all end???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    He's actually just very stupid, isn't he? Apparently the £250K "all went on the bookies".

In an odd way, you have to feel sorry for many lottery winners, they have zero ability to deal with large wins. Not that I would say no.
    Stupid? I'm not sure. It just seems more like greed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martyn*)
    Hmmmm. So what has the DWP said to the lottery winner regarding this, because if I had even £100 left over from my last wages (I had just lost my job) the DWP would write to me ASAP with the view to putting JSA on hold untill said monies are exhausted. So I wonder how the lottery winner is able to keep claiming welfare?
    I believe a person can have up to 5k in savings before benefit is deducted (though benefit can still be claimed), with no benefit at all after 15k, so having £100 won't have any effect on a JSA claim.

You don't need to have spent every single penny of your money before signing on.

He was able to keep claiming benefits as he lied to DWP, saying he lost at the bookies. Clearly the DWP never properly investigated. He was only caught after an anonymous tip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    I believe a person can have up to 5k in savings before benefit is deducted (though benefit can still be claimed), with no benefit at all after 15k, so having £100 won't have any effect on a JSA claim.
    The range is £5,999 - £15,999.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum.../dg_199994.pdf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    Need I say any more. :rolleyes:.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-benefits.html

This kind of disgraceful behavior should not be tolerated. His winnings should be used to repay welfare that he has collected over the years, and a prison sentence should also be passed.

Yet again, the welfare state has failed someone. Yet again we see another reason to start getting tough on welfare. Yet again we see evidence of people taking advantage of tax payers money.

When will people wake up to this kind of repetitive scandalous abuse of our system.
    The argument I always here from defenders of the benefit system is that "these are isolated cases." Yes, they are, but when does an isolation become an epidemic? How many of these have we heard, from the woman getting a boob job done via our taxes pleasure, to this. How many times has this been mentioned now? You have 12 or whatever many kids, you should pay, not the state.

The benefit system in this country is an absolute shambles. Absolute shambles, propped up by a Liberalist agenda that cannot seem to see that helping people to the point they take advantage of it is beyond a joke. I'm at my wits end with this now, I really am.

Scrap all the different clauses and loopholes. Set a fixed rate. If you are out of work for whatever reason you CANNOT POSSIBLY claim more than those that have minimum wage jobs. Simple as that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)
    Scrap all the different clauses and loopholes.
    Like what?

Set a fixed rate. If you are out of work for whatever reason you CANNOT POSSIBLY claim more than those that have minimum wage jobs. Simple as that.
    Invariably someone cannot receive more than minimum wage.

JSA is only around £71 a week (not including premiums) for people over 25.

Even if we add council tax benefit and council tax benefit (which only the minority of those claiming JSA are claiming) you could be looking at, say, £250 maximum? Obviously that can be especially depending on property, but exceptionally likely and the figures you probably think of are just not given. Anyway, 40 hours a week at minimum wage is also around £250.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktotalgamer)

Scrap all the different clauses and loopholes. Set a fixed rate. If you are out of work for whatever reason you CANNOT POSSIBLY claim more than those that have minimum wage jobs. Simple as that.
    Some people on minimum wage jobs receive benefits too. Contrary to what the media want you to believe, we're not all rolling in it.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.