Celtic or Rangers for an Englishman?

Watch
port glasgow
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by John downes)
No they're not. When those idiots sacked Manchester like the Vandal horde they were all singing God Save the Queen, not Flower Of Scotland; flying the Union Flag, not the Saltire. Did these morons not realise that God Save The Queen doesn't work as well as a provocation in the country where it is the locals' national anthem as it does at an Old Firm game?
they also sang we are the people with the other 200000 we took to manchester i was one of them no other team in britain have such a support no one in the world can match the passion of this famous team
Castro1888
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
******** Rangers openly discriminated against half the population of Glasgow for almost a century by refusing to sign a catholic player.
Finn_hudson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey Bro sorry but i have to disagree with u Celtic aw the way.
janedoe94
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Celtic do not have a better reputation in Holland than rangers. The divide between the two clubs comes from a Dutch protestant king (King William of Orange) invading the UK and Ireland in the 1600's and overthrowing the last Catholic monarch in Britain. Rangers indoctrinated orange as one of their colours in the 90's because they had so many dutch players, a dutch manager, as well as their roots coming from historical dutch heritage. Both clubs are bitter rivals and as bad as each other. It all stems from deep rooted, long lasting sectarianism in Scotland going back to to the conception of the Church of Scotland in 1506 that is unfortunately engrained in (especially western Scotland's) heritage and culture. Celtic fans have a generic dislike and hatred towards the union and the UK, consider themselves an Irish club - show solidarity with the Irish Republic and the Irish Republican Army - due to hundreds of years of second class citizenship and segregation based on their faith as Roman Catholics. Rangers fans have a generic, blind loyalty towards the Union and the UK. Football in Scotland is more of a tribal nature than anywhere else in the world and not something you can understand unless you are indoctrinated into it. However, to assume one set of fans are worse than the other makes you just as much of a bigot as those you assume to criticise. Football is a sport, but in Glasgow its an identity which continues to divide people and infuse hatred. However, despite the deep-rooted, bitter rivalry, both clubs have admiration and respect for one and other, neither would hold the gravitas they do without it.
bamup
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Castro1888)
******** Rangers openly discriminated against half the population of Glasgow for almost a century by refusing to sign a catholic player.
Celtic are openly intolerant of the whole of the UK. Your reference is 30 years old and irrelevant. Celtic fans through bananas at Mark Walters that same era, does that make them all racist today? - no.
Zürich
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
99% of Dutch people do not give a damn and see Celtic/Rangers as Scottish clubs. But it is weird to see Rangers fans starting some beery embrace of a Dutchman and rant incoherently about King Billy, as has happened to me a few times.
(Original post by janedoe94)
Celtic do not have a better reputation in Holland than rangers. The divide between the two clubs comes from a Dutch protestant king (King William of Orange) invading the UK and Ireland in the 1600's and overthrowing the last Catholic monarch in Britain. Rangers indoctrinated orange as one of their colours in the 90's because they had so many dutch players, a dutch manager, as well as their roots coming from historical dutch heritage. Both clubs are bitter rivals and as bad as each other. It all stems from deep rooted, long lasting sectarianism in Scotland going back to to the conception of the Church of Scotland in 1506 that is unfortunately engrained in (especially western Scotland's) heritage and culture. Celtic fans have a generic dislike and hatred towards the union and the UK, consider themselves an Irish club - show solidarity with the Irish Republic and the Irish Republican Army - due to hundreds of years of second class citizenship and segregation based on their faith as Roman Catholics. Rangers fans have a generic, blind loyalty towards the Union and the UK. Football in Scotland is more of a tribal nature than anywhere else in the world and not something you can understand unless you are indoctrinated into it. However, to assume one set of fans are worse than the other makes you just as much of a bigot as those you assume to criticise. Football is a sport, but in Glasgow its an identity which continues to divide people and infuse hatred. However, despite the deep-rooted, bitter rivalry, both clubs have admiration and respect for one and other, neither would hold the gravitas they do without it.
michael5455
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Celtic supporter here, honestly if you're English and have no connection and understanding of the culture and difference between the two clubs, don't "pick one". Football teams aren't chosen in Scotland, they are given to you, which regrettably does bring a lot of hatred with it but also adds to the deep connection we have to football in Scotland. Both sides have bad aspects (Celtic chant IRA while Rangers chant UVF) but everyone has to understand that one teams supporters aren't "worse" than the other, both sides have bad supporters associated with them but being a supporter of one of these teams doesn't automatically mean you agree with everything that is chanted at the matches. Just stick to yer premier league teams, it's better quality football anyway.
MKGraeme
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Sorry but I have to correct you. Celtic are a team known as multi cultural from the foundations. Celtic are not pro republicans they are a Scottish team with Irish background. Rangers are anti-catholic not unionists. Rangers had a no Catholic employment policy until 1989 when they signed Mo Johnstone a Roman Catholic. Read the history of both teams, very interesting.
BD93xx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
You are correct, the foundations of Celtic were based on a very positive, inclusive ideology - for people who were generally oppressed based on their religion and heritage. Three years after mo Johnston signed for rangers (from Celtic) Mark Walters was racially abused by Celtic fans during an old firm at Celtic park for being black - by throwing banana onto the pitch. Neither set of fans are any better or worse than the other. Both have very dark and embarrassing parts of their history - neither are what they were during the late 80’s early 90’s. Being from Glasgow, being a rangers fan, my mum was from a traditionally catholic part of Glasgow; while my dad was raised Protestant. I have no animosity towards Celtic or their fans; and in fact appreciate the rivalry. Neither club would be who they were, as successful as they are, or as world wide renowned, without the other. For you to say rangers are anti-catholic, and by default - sectarian, in-fact makes you ignorant and bigoted. You should attend both Ibrox and Celtic park - you may learn something 😬
username2950448
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Always preferred Celtic.

RIP Bobby Sands and Free Palestine.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I don't really care but I suppose have more in common with Celtic 'politically', and my locals are always full of Celtic shirts :laugh:
BD93xx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by gjd800)
I don't really care but I suppose have more in common with Celtic 'politically', and my locals are always full of Celtic shirts :laugh:
What “political” similarities do you have with Celtic ?
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by BD93xx)
What “political” similarities do you have with Celtic ?
You don't need to ask, you already know
BD93xx
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
The fact you consider your support of either teams a “preference” tells me you’ve never been to support Celtic or attend an old firm

(Original post by Palmyra)
Always preferred Celtic.

RIP Bobby Sands and Free Palestine.
markova21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Celtic for me, always. But I was brought up in the Old Trafford/Stretford area of Manchester at a time when the vast majority of people living there were Irish or of Irish descent, my surname is O'Brien, my grandparents were from County Offaly and I now live in Ireland myself. BTW, there's an interesting book; a good few years old now, called Manchester United- The Irish Connection.
Hunky Doug
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Just drop n e-mail to UEFA paedo bhoy and they will confirm the crap that you write is indeed that CRAP!You have mentioned in your fable story a player named Gary Naismith, he has never played for Glasgow Rangers for your information, you are indeed one numptie! I remember well in the eighties you vermin "Dirty English [email protected]", shower of anti English/British vermin!
Last edited by Hunky Doug; 10 months ago
MKGraeme
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by BD93xx)
You are correct, the foundations of Celtic were based on a very positive, inclusive ideology - for people who were generally oppressed based on their religion and heritage. Three years after mo Johnston signed for rangers (from Celtic) Mark Walters was racially abused by Celtic fans during an old firm at Celtic park for being black - by throwing banana onto the pitch. Neither set of fans are any better or worse than the other. Both have very dark and embarrassing parts of their history - neither are what they were during the late 80’s early 90’s. Being from Glasgow, being a rangers fan, my mum was from a traditionally catholic part of Glasgow; while my dad was raised Protestant. I have no animosity towards Celtic or their fans; and in fact appreciate the rivalry. Neither club would be who they were, as successful as they are, or as world wide renowned, without the other. For you to say rangers are anti-catholic, and by default - sectarian, in-fact makes you ignorant and bigoted. You should attend both Ibrox and Celtic park - you may learn something 😬
Hi thanks for your message. I'm a Glaswegian myself. My father's family is Catholic and my mother's is protestant. I myself have been through anti-catholic sectarianism first hand and due to this I moved down south. Like yourself I take no sides as the hole situation is past ironic/ignorance due to mindless idiot will hurt each other for religion they don't practise. I was brought up a Catholic but had to attend a protestant secondary school and was put through a humiliation for 4 years and this wasn't banter my friend. So a bigot I ain't I have lived through all the secterian bull****. As for racism a Celtic player called Paul Elliot got put through the same racism as the players you mention this is due to the fact Scottish people were quite racist when I was growing up. I come from a place in Glasgow called Drumchapel and there was only 4 black people I knew and both sides, Catholic and Protestant gave those poor people a really hard time so I think racism on that part is a social problem. I would like it if you can take back the "fact" that I'm a bigot please.
MKGraeme
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Hunky Doug)
Just drop n e-mail to UEFA paedo bhoy and they will confirm the crap that you write is indeed that CRAP!You have mentioned in your fable story a player named Gary Naismith, he has never played for Glasgow Rangers for your information, you are indeed one numptie! I remember well in the eighties you vermin "Dirty English [email protected]", shower of anti English/British vermin!
Your a complete numpty. Peado, is that what your intelligence can reach. Rangers have had there share of kid fiddler's in the past, grow up. Anti - English, wake up mate. The orange walk still sings anti-catholic crap, there for keeping up the hole secterian bull**** and I must admit there is still a Element of IRA loving **** heads at Celtic, fishbowl life mate.
Bentsfort
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
You are not aware that northern English football clubs in the 19th century were always based on Scottish footballer, the ‘Scottish Professors’, as the English called them. The rise of English football rose slowly as English players took places in more generic teams, until the 70s, when the Scots faded away, to be replaced by the rest of the World!
DJKL
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Bentsfort)
You are not aware that northern English football clubs in the 19th century were always based on Scottish footballer, the ‘Scottish Professors’, as the English called them. The rise of English football rose slowly as English players took places in more generic teams, until the 70s, when the Scots faded away, to be replaced by the rest of the World!
Certainly Leeds and Man United always seemed to have a few Scottish Players in the 1970s and 1980s- Macarai, Strachan, Bremner, McClair, McAllister and of course Liverpool had Hansen,Dalgleish, Souness, and no doubt there are loads more that I now cannot recall. The Scots did tend to be fewer the further south one got, Nicholas to Arsenal, Nevin at Chelsea etc.

You also of course got Big Dunc.

The reduction of the Scottish impact does seem to go hand in hand with the reduction of street football up here, in fact even park football is less frequent, I live near a large park which in the 70s/80s would have been full of kids playing in an endless game on a pitch marked out by jerseys, these days there is rarely anyone playing.

Edit-forgot McQueen,Leighton, Jordan and of course slightly earlier Law.
Last edited by DJKL; 8 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of results day?

Very Confident (43)
7.93%
Confident (71)
13.1%
Indifferent (75)
13.84%
Unsure (140)
25.83%
Worried (213)
39.3%

Watched Threads

Latest