The Student Room Group

Questions regarding accountancy graduate schemes

Hi

I'm a 26 year old graduate, with 2 years of experience in PPI contracting. I'm at the point now where I'd like to apply for a graduate scheme in accountancy this coming Summer, to enhance my skillset and also to try something new. I've done some research on what it involves and did acountancy courses on my Masters (in Management, with the dissertation on management accounting systems), so I have a fair appreciation of the field. I am also contemplating corporate finance.

I am considering applying to some of the to 10 accountancy firms, including E&Y, maybe Deloitte, Grant Thornton, BDO, PKF, and RSM Tenon. Top choice would be E&Y, based on what I've heard about it.

What I wanted to know is:

1) For those firms with Jersey/Guernsey offices, do they favour locals of these areas over external applicants? I like the idea of working in one of these locations but equally I don't want to damage my chances of obtaining such a role. Also, would you have to interview at that particular office or could they hold the assessment in a nearer office?

2) How easy is it to transfer offices internally once employed, e.g. from Manchester to Edinburgh?

3) Would my age constitute a negative for graduate applications? I am still young but not as young as graduates tend to be.

4) Will the Masters/contract work experience (it is with one of the Big Four) be counted favourably in the application? I ask this regardless of the standardised mantra from the Big Four that they only base their decision on the UG degree, as that's just a tickbox.

Any answers to the above from those familiar with the recruitment processes for these firms would be much appreciated.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by TCA2b
Hi

I'm a 26 year old graduate, with 2 years of experience in PPI contracting. I'm at the point now where I'd like to apply for a graduate scheme in accountancy this coming Summer, to enhance my skillset and also to try something new. I've done some research on what it involves and did acountancy courses on my Masters, so I have a fair appreciation of the field. I am also contemplating corporate finance.

I am considering applying to some of the to 10 accountancy firms, including E&Y, maybe Deloitte, Grant Thornton, BDO, PKF, and RSM Tenon. Top choice would be E&Y, based on what I've heard about it.

What I wanted to know is:

1) For those firms with Jersey/Guernsey offices, do they favour locals of these areas over external applicants? I like the idea of working in one of these locations but equally I don't want to damage my chances of obtaining such a role. Also, would you have to interview at that particular office or could they hold the assessment in a nearer office?

As far as I know, it makes no difference either way. You are likely to be asked why do you want to work in that particular office, so that is something to consider. With your second point, again, it depends. Often your final interview will be in the location you work in as it will be with your future boss.

2) How easy is it to transfer offices internally once employed, e.g. from Manchester to Edinburgh?

Immediately, barely possible. Over time, it will depend on business need and your reasoning for moving.

3) Would my age constitute a negative for graduate applications? I am still young but not as young as graduates tend to be.

"Graduates" are getting older and older. Some firms state you have to have graduated within X many years, but this isn't particularly common

4) Will the Masters/contract work experience (it is with one of the Big Four) be counted favourably in the application? I ask this regardless of the standardised mantra from the Big Four that they only base their decision on the UG degree.

Yes. Any previous work experience or additional education should be a bonus. However, it will depend on how you use this to show your competencies.

Any answers to the above from those familiar with the recruitment processes for these firms would be much appreciated.

I've answered above, from what I understand.
Thanks for the answers. I'll see if I can get the preliminary interviews etc. done in Manchester.
Reply 3
Original post by TCA2b

I'm from Guernsey (the rules in Jersey are likely to be similar) - one of the main problems is that if you're not from Guernsey then there are various rules about who can work there and how long for (despite many close connections, Guernsey is technically not part of the UK or EU). You often hear about people having to move back to the UK after, say, 5 years because that's how long the license lasts, or you might be restricted to living in an 'open market' house (which tend to be more expensive than other houses).

Your employer would probably be able to give advice/help with this but be aware of these complications. They might see it as negative factor when you apply - I'm not sure what the law is on whether they can discriminate on this basis. Also, yes it's likely that they would want to hold the interview on the island.

Have a look at these pages for more information on this:
http://www.gov.gg/qualifiedresident
http://www.swoffers.co.uk/what-is-open-market/
I reckon in that case that it'd be easier to apply through another office and once qualified, make the move then, as it reduces the firm's potential to lose money on its investment in training you, if you're forced to relocate.

Quick Reply

Latest