Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed towards sustainable development???

Can anyone give me a quick plan how you would go about answering this question, involving the diagrams you might use! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student_o201)
    Im not to sure sorry, ive been stuck on this question would you mind telling me what your points are ? thank you

You could write, that a fixed currency promotes trade, and investment as it's a sign of stability. Stable prices so that increases exports. You can fix a currency deliberately low, to increase exports

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student8)
    Comment on whether fdi was the sole reason for estonias impressive economic growth and development (10)

i know what i would write explaining how FDI caused significant economic growth but when analysing and evaluating what other reasons could you give for their growth and development ?
    Over the last 10 years or so Estonia have invested heavily on supply side policies such as education, soft infrastructure (IT facilities etc) and training. All this have allowed them to improve the size and quality of their labour force shifting LRAS outwards achieving growth, at the same time these supply side policies have improved human development in the sense that populations education has got better, productivity has increased leading to improvements in GDP per capita as well as an improvement in the distribution of income due to increases in employment.

to evaluate this point use things such as the:
    - Accelerator and Multiplier theory
    - Prebisch Singer hypothesis (major exports-techonology a.k.a Skype, are not primary commodities so they have a positive terms of trade which does not hinder their growth and development abilities. as a result imports become cheaper with rising exports which could lead to an improved standard of living etc.)

This is one possible route I would suggest taking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChoccyWoccy)
    I think this too!

I can't see it being (of course I'm probably wrong now I've said this ) just 'Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed towards sustainable development', there's just so little basis for analysis in a question like that.
    how exactly would you answer this? im struggling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medicinehopeful.)
    You could write, that a fixed currency promotes trade, and investment as it's a sign of stability. Stable prices so that increases exports. You can fix a currency deliberately low, to increase exports
    However if you deliberately fix a currently low then trading partners or any country for that matter can take retaliation and create a currency war (e.g China vs America) and fixing your Exchange Rate can also lead to costly volatility in the form of speculative attacks especially if your currency is grossly undervalued in order to boost exports. A fixed exchange rate can also lead to the economy forming a type of 'straight-jacket' which makes them less able to adapt to exogenous shocks due to lack of flexibility in monetary policy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markg125)
    Discuss the extent to which Estonia has progressed towards sustainable development???

Can anyone give me a quick plan how you would go about answering this question, involving the diagrams you might use! Thanks!
    Intro: define sustainability and development. Points that Estonia has progressed: Good infrastructure (increased productivity), well educated and trained labour force, spending on innovation Points that they have not progressed: inefficient use of non-renewable resources, social and economic differences between Tallin and other regions of Estonia (lack of social cohesion) (and can use a Lorenz curve here), one of the lowest rating EU states for health. Conclusion: your judgement Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Markg125)

This question is basically just Extract 5, because of this i think it would be too simplistic to be the 20 marker

Having said that anything is possible in this exam...
    I would just go through each goals saying how it has and how it hasnt met them.... I find little room for analysis or discussion here but may point to these features
    - How Estonia started from a low base -Kuntz curve theory- and so is still in the stages of early development
    - Estonian growth is based too heavily on FDI - talk about how MNC are no sustainable development focused (footlose nature etc etc)
    - Still useing infrastructure in power generators from the communist era.

Its difficult and as i said i find it an unlikely question..... then again i cant seem to find a nice question.

Oh with diagrams you could use the Lorenz curve but thats pretty much it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexhornby)
    However if you deliberately fix a currently low then trading partners or any country for that matter can take retaliation and create a currency war (e.g China vs America) and fixing your Exchange Rate can also lead to costly volatility in the form of speculative attacks especially if your currency is grossly undervalued in order to boost exports. A fixed exchange rate can also lead to the economy forming a type of 'straight-jacket' which makes them less able to adapt to exogenous shocks due to lack of flexibility in monetary policy.
    Yeah, that would be the drawbacks. Also the loss of monetary policy, so you can't use it to stimulate AD

ReputationRep:
    There was a question ages ago about wage and price competitiveness. Can someone tell me how you'd answer a question like this again please?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how they can ask, 'Discuss the extent to which Estonia have achieved their goals for sustainable development' like some posts here have suggested. The whole point of extract 5 is to tell you how far they have progressed anyway.. ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zubhav)
    Discuss potential national, regional and international policies Estonia could implement to achieve their goals of sustainable development.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    How would you answer this ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Robb_D)
    Intro: define sustainability and development. Points that Estonia has progressed: Good infrastructure (increased productivity), well educated and trained labour force, spending on innovation Points that they have not progressed: inefficient use of non-renewable resources, social and economic differences between Tallin and other regions of Estonia (lack of social cohesion) (and can use a Lorenz curve here), one of the lowest rating EU states for health. Conclusion: your judgement Hope this helps
    yh thats good. How would you link in the Lorrenz curve. would you litteralyy just show a lorenz curve (with the line away from the equality line) and bassically say this is relative poverty??

ReputationRep:
    20 marker (1).doc I've done a rough plan on the ' Discuss the effectiveness of economic growth on promoting sustainable economic development' just a rough plan probably not full mark answer but yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paramountor)
    If any one has any good, solid essay plans, such as:
    "Discuss the extent to which sustainable development indicators are useful for measuring development in Estonia"
    I can send you my essay "Discuss whether Estonia is likely to achieve sustainable development in the future" for which I got 20/20.

Thanks
    i dont have an essay plan but i would greatly appreciate it if you could send me your essay. many thanks in advance [email protected]

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please give me some pointers for why high rates of economic growth in Estonia have not led to sustainable development in the past? I think this is a very strong possibility for the essay - it tends to be based on the last sentence of the into usually, so would really appreciate the help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordan6278)
    yh thats good. How would you link in the Lorrenz curve. would you litteralyy just show a lorenz curve (with the line away from the equality line) and bassically say this is relative poverty??
    pretty much yeah, but I personally would not say that It would be relative poverty because it may not be. Just draw it and link it with Tallin and other regions of Estonia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaranbirBandesha)
    20 marker (1).doc I've done a rough plan on the ' Discuss the effectiveness of economic growth on promoting sustainable economic development' just a rough plan probably not full mark answer but yeah
    Yeah, this is pretty much what I'd do. Really hope this comes up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will2348)
    There was a question ages ago about wage and price competitiveness. Can someone tell me how you'd answer a question like this again please?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    when a question mentions wage and price competitiveness you should try and head down the factors affecting LRAS, such as quantity and quality of labour force, quality or resources etc. and use a the diagram to show how by improving the quantity and quality of the labour force and the labour force pariticipation rate LRAS will shift out which could lead to a fall in the price level (ceteris paribus). this can all be nicely illustrated using an LRAS and AD diagram where AD initially crosses LRAS at close to full capacity and therefore the shift will mean the price of labour labour (wages etc.) falls and therefore you have illustrated how this can lead to labour and wage competitiveness. DON'T forget though to evaluate how this will all depend the current level of spare capacity and all that and the size of increase in LRAS, whether production is labour or capital intensive etc.

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    umm well high rates of growth tend to arise due to the economy over-heating where AD shifts out at a faster rate than AS and for most countries this comes at an environmental cost. resource depletion, environmental degradation and depending on the government this could lead to a widening poverty gap due to poor distribution of income, all these things will negatively impact sustainable development as a result of high rates of growth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancer_)
    Could someone please give me some pointers for why high rates of economic growth in Estonia have not led to sustainable development in the past? I think this is a very strong possibility for the essay - it tends to be based on the last sentence of the into usually, so would really appreciate the help!
    you could talk about high rates of growth been giving off high levels of emissions and using the resouces of estonia up

the high growth rates have increased the income inequality

not really sure on anything else though really hope this doesn't come up

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.