Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    guys how many marks do you think i would get with this essay:

reasons why growth leads to SD

reasons why growth doesn't lead to SD

depends on how growth is achieved

policies that could be used to achieve growth and SD

people are saying you need to talk about estonias strategy but i didnt mention it much :s

ReputationRep:
    Estonia's national sustainable development strategy is specifically related to Estonia and the question was asking whether future high economic growth rates alone would help Estonia achieve sustainable development. Without any reference to it, your answer could relate to any relatively developed economy in the world. But as long as your analysis, commentary and evaluation are correct, I am sure you will be credited. After all, the Estonian strategy is just an extension of the UN strategy on sustainable development.

There is a major assumption in the question itself, namely that Estonia will have high rates of economic growth in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghijk)
    Estonia's national sustainable development strategy is specifically related to Estonia and the question was asking whether future high economic growth rates alone would help Estonia achieve sustainable development. Without any reference to it, your answer could relate to any relatively developed economy in the world. But as long as your analysis, commentary and evaluation are correct, I am sure you will be credited. After all, the Estonian strategy is just an extension to the UN strategy on sustainable development.

There is a major assumption in the question itself, namely that Estonia will have high rates of economic growth in the future.
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsmeagol)
    guys how many marks do you think i would get with this essay:

reasons why growth leads to SD

reasons why growth doesn't lead to SD

depends on how growth is achieved

policies that could be used to achieve growth and SD

people are saying you need to talk about estonias strategy but i didnt mention it much :s
    The examiners' report always bangs on about candidates not using the stimulus material - they dont seem to like you not using it. You may lose a few marks for this.

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the graph question, I seem to remember it said analyse ONE reason why the changes to GDP and inflation. So this implies there is more than one reason. Both AD shifting left and AS shifting left are reasons and I believe strongly that if you've mentioned a timelag for the AD shifting left, then that's just as good as the AS shift.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sacheeen)
    The examiners' report always bangs on about candidates not using the stimulus material - they dont seem to like you not using it. You may lose a few marks for this.
    ahh i only talked about them performing poorly in terms of healthy life and also their ecological balance

ReputationRep:
    On the last question, I hardly related to the case study but instead, I talked about the common characteristics of developing countries and how growth can/cant solve the problems... Anyone know if id get marks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by c.ry)
    On the last question, I hardly related to the case study but instead, I talked about the common characteristics of developing countries and how growth can/cant solve the problems... Anyone know if id get marks?
    Previous mark schemes allow level 4 band 1 to be gained in the 20 mark question if there is basic discussion (i.e. points for and against) but there isn't the context in the analysis, and this is usually 11-14 marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im7)
    Previous mark schemes allow level 4 band 1 to be gained in the 20 mark question if there is basic discussion (i.e. points for and against) but there isn't the context in the analysis, and this is usually 11-14 marks
    ahh don't suppose thats awful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im7)
    how explicit does referencing the case study have to be?

can it just be quoting the main objectives 'welfare objectives' and referencing the income inequality in regards to Tallinn?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    how explicit does referencing the case study have to be?

can it just be quoting the main objectives 'welfare objectives' and referencing the income inequality in regards to Tallinn?
    I'm not really sure to be honest, I didn't put very much context into the essay either so I'm hoping that as long as there is some mention of the case study then it is OK! I didn't mention any of Estonia's 4 goals explicitly though I did refer to the components within them e.g. income inequality, ecological balance

ReputationRep:
    hi guys

for the question on the difference in economic growth and economic development, i got the economic growth right but for economic development i was confused so i just simply put the improvement in the building and structure of the economy. Is that right or would i get any mark son that bit.

plz someone reply quickly as this has really been bugging me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by im7)
    I'm not really sure to be honest, I didn't put very much context into the essay either so I'm hoping that as long as there is some mention of the case study then it is OK! I didn't mention any of Estonia's 4 goals explicitly though I did refer to the components within them e.g. income inequality, ecological balance
    same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rber)
    hi guys

for the question on the difference in economic growth and economic development, i got the economic growth right but for economic development i was confused so i just simply put the improvement in the building and structure of the economy. Is that right or would i get any mark son that bit.

plz someone reply quickly as this has really been bugging me
    Probably not, sorry. That's not what they define/explain it as in the text book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Define short run and long run economic growth. Such as an increase in aggregate demand. Then go onto define economic development, i.e better health care thereby higher life expectancy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ollie Warwick)
    Define short run and long run economic growth. Such as an increase in aggregate demand. Then go onto define economic development, i.e better health care thereby higher life expectancy.
    thats what i did

ReputationRep:
    should the essay have been 50/50 balanced will i lose marks for mine not being half yes fast growth will lead to sustainable development and half no it wont.

i realise now that mine was mostly no it wont lead to sustainable development and how you could combine growth with policies to promote SD.

however i did begin after my intro saying the benefits of high growth generating high tax revenue that can be invested and that its a requirement for sustainable development to occur etc

Really hope the mark schemes not too fussy

ReputationRep:
    this is on the ocr economics terms glossary so will apply to anyone who did this for the distinguish between development and economic growth question:

Distinguish between -
    Show the difference between two economic concepts or terms by going beyond a definition of each.

hope this helps a little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mrsmeagol)
    thats what i did
    Just wondering what I might have got for my 20m

I defined EG SR and LR

Said how its good if sustainable so SREG matched by LR
    and looked at the benefits in more of an economic way eg. No inflationary pressure not reduce real income and enhance poverty and missed multiplier effect

I then said how its bad showed the economy overheating discussed reduced international competitive as and bop deficit, decline real wages
    then discussed how inequality and depletion of resources may occur

then I did how it needs more like supply side policies and related the Washington consensus
    and did depends if there are policies to to redistribute income and if the high rate of EG is actually sustainable
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    With the economic growth and economic development question for Eco. Development I said it was a sustainable way of developing by not compensating future generations resources and cleaner energy being invested and implemented (I Think I said the last bit about the cleaner energy) is that enough to get the marks for the Eco development or do you HAVE to say it improves living standards outright even though what I said basically is the improvement of living standards

thanks

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.