Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Do we need to learn everything of what the specification states? as certain points of the specification are irrelevant to the case study :/

This is very frustrating as there is so much content to learn, but the case study is limited to certain aspects of the specification only!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shaggyk)
    Do we need to learn everything of what the specification states? as certain points of the specification are irrelevant to the case study :/

This is very frustrating as there is so much content to learn, but the case study is limited to certain aspects of the specification only!
    No, learn what is relevant in depth.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are? i.e. how many marks needed for a B grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous12)
    Does anyone know what the grade boundaries are? i.e. how many marks needed for a B grade.
    70%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    70%
    they tend to be a bit lower dont they one year it was like 62% for a B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mandem2k11)
    70%
    (Original post by physicshelp123)
    they tend to be a bit lower dont they one year it was like 62% for a B
    i mean in terms of raw marks because this paper is out of 60. I think in january, it was like 43/60 for an A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infamous12)
    i mean in terms of raw marks because this paper is out of 60. I think in january, it was like 43/60 for an A.
    Jan13- A: 48 B: 43 C: 36
    Jun12- A: 43 B: 37 C: 31
    Jan12- A: 45 B: 39 C: 34
    Jun11- A: 44 B: 38 C: 32

Avg. from last 4 papers- A: 45 B: 39 C: 33

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dslc)

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dslc)

wat

i got 40/60 on my paper in january yet i was given a 'mark of 64' with the equivilant as a C?

EDIT: nvm that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    does anyone have any predictions for the two 10 marker essays?? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oeh)
    does anyone have any predictions for the two 10 marker essays?? :confused:
    I recon/hope eithere...
    comment on the development banks statements that it was wrong for Estonia to rely on debt flows and FDI to promote growth
    comment on the extent to which Estonians economic growth has led to development
    comment on the extent to which the euro zone/EU has benefited economy such as Latvia and Estonia

ReputationRep:
    This thread has been literally ruined by people begging other people to send their work! Either do it by private message or post something useful!

This thread is for stating revision notes and guiding each other, not pestering one another for everyone else to have to scroll through to find the relevant posts.

For the cultural viable side of sustainable development for Estonia, I would argue that with Estonia's international trade accounting for 155% of GDP, it is clear that they are extremely reliant on this aspect of growth. To maintain a cultural viable space and tradition whilst heavily trading internationally is very unlikely in the long run. They are likely to be influenced by other parts of the world and lose their cultural status eventually hence tourism not being a sole reliant for economic sustainability.

Also, if the Estonian Government was to impose taxes on polluting commodities such as oil and gas to reduce demand hence less pollution, it may have a damaging effect on the growth of the economy at a time where many countries are still climbing out of the recession. With increase in prices of such goods, costs of production are likely to increase and these will most likely be pushed onto the price that consumers pay as they may be/arguably are inelastic products. This not only results in less consumer spending in the economy but also a decline in international competitiveness due to price increases. This may be suicidal for the Estonian economy because, as stated earlier, they are heavily reliant on international trade. It is also worth to mention that, again, as stated earlier, many countries are still recovering from economic shock and the Global economic crisis and so there may be a lack of international confidence. With both a lack of international confidence and Estonia's price increase due to added tax, Estonia's international trade is likely to be hard-hit.

What do people think that the Estonian Government would have to do to ensure growth whilst also building a sustainable economy?

ReputationRep:
    Here's some of my notes that I've made - I'm going to do extract 3, 4 and 5 tomorrow; feel free to edit and redistribute - if there's anything I have missed out/not covered in great depth I'd love to know!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Extract 1 Revision.docx (21.0 KB, 327 views)
  2. File Type: odt Convergence Criteria Analysis.odt (21.0 KB, 270 views)
  3. File Type: odt Aims of ERM II.odt (18.8 KB, 193 views)
  4. File Type: docx Extract 2 Revision.docx (41.5 KB, 263 views)
  5. File Type: odt Capital Flight.odt (13.2 KB, 180 views)
  6. File Type: odt FDI.odt (16.7 KB, 185 views)
  7. File Type: odt Latvia.odt (21.2 KB, 199 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GregZthrash)
    Moderator Edit
    Isn't this illegal?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mattmattmattmatt)
    What do people think that the Estonian Government would have to do to ensure growth whilst also building a sustainable economy?
    Well, this is essentially what has been laid out in 'Sustainable Estonia 21'. I'll tackle the coherent society point first:

Coherent society: it is clear from the data in Extract 3 that Estonia had no issue pre-recession maintaining high growth, and one would assume a similar picture as they pick up post-09. The problem for sustainable development (to which I presume you refer when saying, 'sustainable economy', since this is what the Extracts 4/5 focus on) is firstly one of distribution. Failure to transfer some of the wealth from Tallinn to other more rural areas would mean the government had failed to achieve its first objective, since society could hardly be deemed 'coherent'. This could be done through progressive taxation, or the introduction of a national minimum wage. Indeed, increased spending on training and education in rural areas could all facilitate this policy, too. Perhaps active employment opportunities could even be pushed in rural areas. What the government would have to be careful of, in any case, is that such a policy is not at the detriment of Tallinn's success, since this could risk cutting growth.

You did a nice job on viable cultural space and ecological balance. For welfare, one could simply drop points like government spending on education/healthcare. Where else would you go with welfare/growth trade off?

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling rather confident about extract 1 and 2, began doing essays on extract 3 and practicing. By the middle of next week I'm aiming to have all of the extracts under my belt and just keep practicing, updating my knowledge and looking at things further in depth... Here's some sample questions for everyone, I have no markschemes but they're good for practice and I can provide some model answers soon when my teacher gets some back to me that I've done.

Extract 1 & 2
    - Distinguish between fixed and floating exchange rate systems (4)
    - Distinguish between monetary convergence and fiscal convergence (4)
    - Explain what is meant by capital flight (4)
    - Analyse the reasons for capital flight (6)
    - Analyse the reasons why meeting the convergence criteria is important for countries wishing to join the Eurozone (6)
    - Analyse the benefits for CEE countries of FDI (6)
    - Analyse how ERM II prepares countries for their adoption of the Euro (6)
    - Analyse the benefits of participating in ERM II prior to joining the Eurozone (6)
    - Comment on the possible effects of maintaining a fixed exchange rate during an economic recession (10)
    - Comment on the advantages to Eurozone countries of adopting the Euro as a single currency (10)
    - Comment on the impact of FDI on CEE economies (10)
    - Comment on the effectiveness of ERM II as a means of preparing countries for their adoption of the Euro (10)

Extract 3
    - Distinguish between growth and development (4)
    - With reference to the data in Figure 3.1, comment on the possible effects of a volatile economic cycle (4)
    - What is meant by a transition economy? (4)
    - Analyse the impact of a high rate of long-term unemployment on a country's growth and development (6)
    - Explain two possible reasons for the high rates of inflation in Estonia in 2006-2008 (6)
    - Analyse the impact an increase in international trade and FDI will have on economic growth (6)
    - Comment on the consequences of the high growth that Estonia experienced between 2000 and 2007 (10)
    - Comment on the possible effects of a flat-tax rate system on Estonian growth and development (10)

Extract 4 & 5
    - Analyse, using diagrams, the impact of EU's strategy on sustainable production and consumption (4)
    - Comment on the policies that might improve ecological balance on the Estonian economy (10)
    - Comment on the usefulness of the indicators used by Estonia in its sustainability strategy (10)
    - Discuss the usefulness of the EU and Estonia's strategies in promoting sustainability (20)
    - Discuss the impact of Estonia's high growth on sustainability (20)
    - Discuss the view that sustained growth of GDP per capita will always lead to a rise in welfare & living standards (20)
    - Discuss the view that sustainable development in Estonia requires slower economic growth (20)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeyJB)
    I'm feeling rather confident about extract 1 and 2, began doing essays on extract 3 and practicing. By the middle of next week I'm aiming to have all of the extracts under my belt and just keep practicing, updating my knowledge and looking at things further in depth... Here's some sample questions for everyone, I have no markschemes but they're good for practice and I can provide some model answers soon when my teacher gets some back to me that I've done.

Extract 1 & 2
    - Analyse the reasons why meeting the convergence criteria is important for countries wishing to join the Eurozone (6)
    - Analyse the benefits of participating in ERM II prior to joining the Eurozone (6)
    - Comment on the possible effects of maintaining a fixed exchange rate during an economic recession (10)
    - Comment on the advantages to Eurozone countries of adopting the Euro as a single currency (10)
    - Comment on the effectiveness of ERM II as a means of preparing countries for their adoption of the Euro (10)

Extract 3
    - With reference to the data in Figure 3.1, comment on the possible effects of a volatile economic cycle (4)
    - Analyse the impact of a high rate of long-term unemployment on a country's growth and development (6)
    - Explain two possible reasons for the high rates of inflation in Estonia in 2006-2008 (6)
    - Analyse the impact an increase in international trade and FDI will have on economic growth (6)
    - Comment on the consequences of the high growth that Estonia experienced between 2000 and 2007 (10)
    - Comment on the possible effects of a flat-tax rate system on Estonian growth and development (10)

Extract 4 & 5
    - Analyse, using diagrams, the impact of EU's strategy on sustainable production and consumption (4)
    - Comment on the policies that might improve ecological balance on the Estonian economy (10)
    - Comment on the usefulness of the indicators used by Estonia in its sustainability strategy (10)
    - Discuss the usefulness of the EU and Estonia's strategies in promoting sustainability (20)
    - Discuss the view that sustained growth of GDP per capita will always lead to a rise in welfare & living standards (20)
    - Discuss the view that sustainable development in Estonia requires slower economic growth (20)

If i could hug you i would seriously. So much appreicated!

What ive found in terms of he 20 marker is that although itll be related to sustainable deveploment, it will always link it to something else or ask you to compare to other policies etc

seriously though much \appreciated, having to solo learn this exam is killer!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LukeyJB)

Extract 1 & 2

Extract 3

Extract 4 & 5
    thanks a load for these questions! but would you be able to explain capital flight? all I know about the movement of capital is fdi and I assume it's not the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legend12)
    Guys, one quick revision tip.

I'm going through each extract (including introduction) and highlighting key points with questions that could be given on them. I've literally wrote "why" or "how does this..." on some of the paragraphs so I can be prepared for any questions.

I'm making a case study guide, though my teacher will produce one anyway, that has key definitions from each extract, key points and expanded analysis. For example, the introduction talks about a single currency, so I've made a page saying what it is, the benefits for and against etc...

If anyone would like a final copy of that, let me know. Hopefully I can complete it latest by 3 weeks.
    Please may you email to <moderator comment: please don't post your email - send a PM instead> for me!!! THANKS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicshelp123)
    thanks a load for these questions! but would you be able to explain capital flight? all I know about the movement of capital is fdi and I assume it's not the same thing?
    not started revision yet so may be wrong but as i recall is that customers with their money in a bank , as soon as the coutnry start failing economically they will try to get their money out of that bank and possibly overseas

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.