The Student Room Group

A2 Economics - F585 June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Would people here suggest having a Tutor2U toolkit and the one from ATP or is just the Tutor2U one sufficient?
Reply 161
Original post by LukeyJB
Here's some of my notes that I've made - I'm going to do extract 3, 4 and 5 tomorrow; feel free to edit and redistribute - if there's anything I have missed out/not covered in great depth I'd love to know!

Wow your notes are amazing
Thanks alot!
Just wondering if you've completed extract 3,4 and 5
Reply 162
Original post by LukeyJB
I'm feeling rather confident about extract 1 and 2, began doing essays on extract 3 and practicing. By the middle of next week I'm aiming to have all of the extracts under my belt and just keep practicing, updating my knowledge and looking at things further in depth... Here's some sample questions for everyone, I have no markschemes but they're good for practice and I can provide some model answers soon when my teacher gets some back to me that I've done.

Extract 1 & 2
- Distinguish between fixed and floating exchange rate systems (4)
- Distinguish between monetary convergence and fiscal convergence (4)
- Explain what is meant by capital flight (4)
- Analyse the reasons for capital flight (6)
- Analyse the reasons why meeting the convergence criteria is important for countries wishing to join the Eurozone (6)
- Analyse the benefits for CEE countries of FDI (6)
- Analyse how ERM II prepares countries for their adoption of the Euro (6)
- Analyse the benefits of participating in ERM II prior to joining the Eurozone (6)
- Comment on the possible effects of maintaining a fixed exchange rate during an economic recession (10)
- Comment on the advantages to Eurozone countries of adopting the Euro as a single currency (10)
- Comment on the impact of FDI on CEE economies (10)
- Comment on the effectiveness of ERM II as a means of preparing countries for their adoption of the Euro (10)

Extract 3
- Distinguish between growth and development (4)
- With reference to the data in Figure 3.1, comment on the possible effects of a volatile economic cycle (4)
- What is meant by a transition economy? (4)
- Analyse the impact of a high rate of long-term unemployment on a country's growth and development (6)
- Explain two possible reasons for the high rates of inflation in Estonia in 2006-2008 (6)
- Analyse the impact an increase in international trade and FDI will have on economic growth (6)
- Comment on the consequences of the high growth that Estonia experienced between 2000 and 2007 (10)
- Comment on the possible effects of a flat-tax rate system on Estonian growth and development (10)

Extract 4 & 5
- Analyse, using diagrams, the impact of EU's strategy on sustainable production and consumption (4)
- Comment on the policies that might improve ecological balance on the Estonian economy (10)
- Comment on the usefulness of the indicators used by Estonia in its sustainability strategy (10)
- Discuss the usefulness of the EU and Estonia's strategies in promoting sustainability (20)
- Discuss the impact of Estonia's high growth on sustainability (20)
- Discuss the view that sustained growth of GDP per capita will always lead to a rise in welfare & living standards (20)
- Discuss the view that sustainable development in Estonia requires slower economic growth (20)

Great list btw :wink:

Have you made some model answers by any chance??

Im not trying to "steal" your hard work, but I have been working through them and I want to see if I was any close to what you got.

FYI, if anyone on this thread wants an .mp3 of a lesson I went to covering basically everything the exam board can ask on the last question, just holla! :smile:
Original post by Matthewgj

Im not trying to "steal" your hard work, but I have been working through them and I want to see if I was any close to what you got.

FYI, if anyone on this thread wants an .mp3 of a lesson I went to covering basically everything the exam board can ask on the last question, just holla! :smile:

I was wondering if I could possibly have a copy if this mp3 would be very helpful thank you
Reply 164

Please could i have this!
- Discuss the view that sustainable development in Estonia requires slower economic growth (20)
I'm having a think about this question and all I can come up with is that slower growth will not use up resources as quick so new ways can be thought of with out depleting the natural resources available. I couldn't expand this for 20 marks though is any one able to help me ?
Reply 166

Could you possibly send me a copy of the mp3 file? It would be a great help for my revision,

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 167
Original post by Bunny123
Wow your notes are amazing
Thanks alot!
Just wondering if you've completed extract 3,4 and 5

I'll be doing them this weekend and I'll post them when I have.

I will eventually post model answers, whether they're right or wrong, or worth full marks however, I can't guarantee!
Reply 168

Could I have this too please? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 169

could i have a copy of the mp3? :smile: thx

would love the mp3 of this! Thankyou so much :smile:
Reply 171
Please could you send me the mp3, many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any chance someone can just quickly help me on this? (Distinguish between monetary convergence and fiscal convergence) Only a 4 mark, but i'm unsure how to define them...
Reply 173
Analyse the reasons why meeting the convergence criteria is important for countries wishing to join the Eurozone (6)

What would you guys do for this answer??

I defined the convergence criteria (which i imagine is 2marks), then went on to say that it ensures that countries are at the similar points on the economic cycle, making the "one size fits all" monetary policy more effective.

Anymore shizzle I should put on this dizzle?

Original post by joebmewalmsley
Any chance someone can just quickly help me on this? (Distinguish between monetary convergence and fiscal convergence) Only a 4 mark, but i'm unsure how to define them...

Fiscal Convergence refers to government spending and taxation so this will be issues such as public debt and fiscal deficit as well as bond yields on long-term debt. Monetary convergence refers to issues such as price stability and exchange rates.
Therefore, fiscal convergence is where fiscal deficit is 3% of GDP and public debt 60%. Monetary convergence will be exchange rates being pegged to the Euro for two years and inflation no more than 1.5% above average for three lowest EU states. I think that's right?
Original post by will2348
Fiscal Convergence refers to government spending and taxation so this will be issues such as public debt and fiscal deficit as well as bond yields on long-term debt. Monetary convergence refers to issues such as price stability and exchange rates.
Therefore, fiscal convergence is where fiscal deficit is 3% of GDP and public debt 60%. Monetary convergence will be exchange rates being pegged to the Euro for two years and inflation no more than 1.5% above average for three lowest EU states. I think that's right?

yeah sounds right except when a currency is pegged to the euro for 2 years, its called the exchange rate mechanism. The country which is part of this mechanism (e.g. Latvia), must keep their exchange rate within a band of 15% above/below the euro. The 3% fisical debt and 30% GDP debt can also be referred to as the stability growth pact, i think.
Reply 176
Analyse the benefits of participating in ERM II prior to joining the Eurozone (6)

Would this mean analysing the benefits of not being part of the Eurozone?

Is the Maastricht Convergence criteria same as the EU stability and Growth pact?

Budget deficits max of 3% GDP and govt debt max of 60% GDP?
Reply 178
Original post by Meghjinho
I have both the ATP toolkit and Tutor2you toolkit. PM me if you want it. It comes at a very small reasonable fee, of 10 pound each or 15 pound for both. Considering that tutor2you itself was 60 quid plus alone. :smile:

Could I please get a copy of the ATP toolkit, thank you :smile:
Reply 179

Could I have a copy of this mp3 please? Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending