Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    my boyfriend of almost two years (been good friends for 6) is going to university in September but I haven't got in this year.
    we spend all of our time together so I'm just a bit worried that it might end sometime during his uni course.
    I have a car and he will be no longer than 2 hours drive away, so travelling isn't an issue.
    has anyone else been in the same situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deanna3006)
    my boyfriend of almost two years (been good friends for 6) is going to university in September but I haven't got in this year.
    we spend all of our time together so I'm just a bit worried that it might end sometime during his uni course.
    I have a car and he will be no longer than 2 hours drive away, so travelling isn't an issue.
    has anyone else been in the same situation?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aw, i know quite a few of my friends were in the same position as you last year. Some of them are still with their boyfriend's and some aren't. I guess it depends on how strong your relationship is; it's bound to change when he goes to university. You may become distant. But i know two people who broke up before going university (because they were going separate uni's) but ended up getting back together because they missed each other and they've now found a way to make it work. Talk to your boyfriend about it

ReputationRep:
    Nobody can tell you whether it's going to work out or not, but the dynamic will definitely change.

As much as it's important that he still makes time for you, it's also important you allow him enough space to settle into uni and be doing his work comfortably.

Unless you have a job lined up already or are doing re-sits, there's a potential for you to have a lot more time on your hands than he does - Please try to remember this and not put too much pressure on the guy.

ReputationRep:
    As has been said, and I feel is completely accurate, the way things are will change, but that doesn't necessarily mean things won't work out. People find a way to make things work if they want them to work, and that's seen me through varying distances, national and international. I'm now engaged.

One thing that I feel is very important is that he will probably become distant for the first few months. This is perfectly normal as he is starting a new part of his life, likely in a new place, and is meeting new people. This won't mean he feels or cares any less for you, it's just a typical reaction (especially for a man), and isn't something to worry about. (That said, don't let him take the piss by cancelling on you all the time, just on the grounds that that's not fair or friendly.)

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone! I guess I'll just have to see how it works and I have a full time job, work experience and resits in line so I'll be just as busy as he is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Check out the LDR thread!

It can work. You just both have to put the effort in! 2 years is a long time already anyway. It was 2 and a half years for me when my boyfriend and I turned LDR... Now it has been 3 years and it's still going great. You do get used to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehlouise)
    Check out the LDR thread!

It can work. You just both have to put the effort in! 2 years is a long time already anyway. It was 2 and a half years for me when my boyfriend and I turned LDR... Now it has been 3 years and it's still going great. You do get used to it.
    didn't even know that existed, thankyou

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    will have same problem with my beautiful girl abii distance will be a massive factor for me as we both live like 10 mins away from each other were from pontefract in west yorkshire but in september i will be leaving my home town for newcastle which is a huge distance will only be able to see her every weekend if i get the megabus from newcastle to leeds then a arriva bus back to pontefract i am worried this will break us apart and i dont want it to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ryan Hinks)
    will have same problem with my beautiful girl abii distance will be a massive factor for me as we both live like 10 mins away from each other were from pontefract in west yorkshire but in september i will be leaving my home town for newcastle which is a huge distance will only be able to see her every weekend if i get the megabus from newcastle to leeds then a arriva bus back to pontefract i am worried this will break us apart and i dont want it to
    as everyone else said I'm sure we can all get through it just need to make the effort!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can completely relate to you, my BF decided to go to university a year ahead of me while i only go this year and he's in the UK while I am in a completely different country on the opposite side of the world, imagine how difficult it is to maintain that kind of long distance relationship where we have been apart for 6 months and now waiting another 3 until i see him! Basically any relationship isn't going to be easy and being in a long distance definitely doesn't help much either! But it really depends on what you guys want and if you are committed on that level. If you are genuinely both wanting it and not screwing each other over then you won't be needing to worry about issues involving faithfulness. I hate to say this but he's probably going to change a bit over the time that he is at university, it's normal, you make new friends, you're living a completely whole new life, this kind of thing can cause issues but in the end you either can tolerate it or you can't, in my case I find myself feeling quite jealous because i wish i were there with him and experiencing what he's getting to experience but i gotta just suck it up and focus on myself sometimes and look towards the positive Just make time for each other and make sure to let it each other know that you're thinking about them Hope all works out

ReputationRep:
    I know a couple who starting dating when they were both in 14 in Upper school. They're now 22 and still together today, despite him going to university and her staying at home. They still seem really happy

ReputationRep:
    thanks everyone hearing everyone's stories is making me feel so much more relaxed! if you can do it then so can I x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It'd be a shame for it to end after being friends for so long, however if I was at uni I would probably feel it holds me back from making the most of my time at uni.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody can tell you that it definitely will / won't work out.

However, I am literally in exactly the same position as you will be. I didn't get into uni so had to stay at home and ended up getting a full-time job whilst he went to uni (which is just over an hour away).

For me, it was worked perfectly well. In my job (which I have now left) I got every other weekend off and as I can drive, I go down then. The two weeks between seeing him absolutely flies by!
    We just make sure to communicate well. Before he went to uni we used to text / ring every night and we still do that now. Really, it doesn't feel like an awful lot has changed, particularly now he's back home for Easter.

We celebrated our three year 'anniversary' on Saturday and have thus far encountered no major hiccups. But then, we are both rather laid back and fully trust each other so that aspect isn't an issue. Although I must admit, I've found it easier now I know his uni friends. I felt a bit left out in the beginning when he'd mention all these people and I'd sit there all clueless

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 18, 2013
Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.