Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    My total household income was 35.4k for 2012. The threshold for 6.2k (Bursary + Loan) is at 35k. Between 35k and 40k is 5.7k. However the Loan is higher and the bursary is £1000 lower at this level. On top of this my uni provides a bursary of £1000 to those earning under 35k and £500 to those under 40k. So in total because I'm just £400 over the threshold, i'm going to lose out on £1500 on bursaries. This can't be fair right? On top of this my projected household income for this year is about 27k. Do they allow for any leniency at all for those just over the thresholds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    My total household income was 35.4k for 2012. The threshold for 6.2k (Bursary + Loan) is at 35k. Between 35k and 40k is 5.7k. However the Loan is higher and the bursary is £1000 lower at this level. On top of this my uni provides a bursary of £1000 to those earning under 35k and £500 to those under 40k. So in total because I'm just £400 over the threshold, i'm going to lose out on £1500 on bursaries. This can't be fair right? On top of this my projected household income for this year is about 27k. Do they allow for any leniency at all for those just over the thresholds?
    If your household income for this year is expected to be lower than previous years Student Finance have arrangements where you can be assessed on this year rather than the previous year of income. Have a look on their website and you can find the forms that you'd have to fill in

Unfortunately, with student finance there always has to be a threshold as if it were £36,000 so you were eligible you'd then have people with incomes of £36,400 in the same situation as you're in now. The national level of student funding doesn't take into the account additional funding that a specific university might offer to certain groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oxymoronic)
    If your household income for this year is expected to be lower than previous years Student Finance have arrangements where you can be assessed on this year rather than the previous year of income. Have a look on their website and you can find the forms that you'd have to fill in

Unfortunately, with student finance there always has to be a threshold as if it were £36,000 so you were eligible you'd then have people with incomes of £36,400 in the same situation as you're in now. The national level of student funding doesn't take into the account additional funding that a specific university might offer to certain groups.
    It just seems like this system wasn't though out very well. Surely it should be on like a sliding scale. If someone who had a houshold income of £35k got £6.2k then someone who had an income of £36k should get 6.1k. It all just seems a little silly how the system works.

Or is it on a scale like that. I've always just assumed from the student finance tables that it's a fixed amount for those threshold. I just used the student finance calculator and it's just worked out at £6200.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle)
    It just seems like this system wasn't though out very well. Surely it should be on like a sliding scale. If someone who had a houshold income of £35k got £6.2k then someone who had an income of £36k should get 6.1k. It all just seems a little silly how the system works.
    But it is on a sliding scale.:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OU Student)
    But it is on a sliding scale.:confused:
    Thank you, I wasn't aware of this. I'm a little bit annoyed that this hasn't been made more clear by my school or any other student finance information I've read. I feel much better now.

ReputationRep:
    I was at a uni open day this last weekend and they told me it is not on a sliding scale. Go one penny over the threshold and you are into the next category and can lose out by hundreds of pounds.

I am in this position with my daughter. Our 2014 combined household income is a few hundred quid over the threshold and she will lose out on almost £500 of student loan. The table used by SFE is hard to find online (nigh on impossible in fact) but the Uni had the paperwork when we visited and confirmed this is how it works.

We have the additional problem of our eldest child starting her third year at Uni at the same time in Sept 15. The disregard for having 2 in Uni at the same time is a miserly £1130 and there will also be a reduction because she is a third year student and maintenance loans are only paid to cover you until the end of your course, not the entire year. This can produce a loan reduction of up to £1,000 for third/final year students.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Please check thread dates before posting

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.