Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I need some advice.

I have applied to study BSc NatSci (Biological) and had offers from Bath, Lancaster and now Durham.

I was convinced Durham were going to give me a rejection and so I had convinced myself I would put Bath as my first choice and Lancaster as my insurance. But I am now in a dilemma as although at Bath I could study Biology AND Chemistry as part of my degree, and I couldn't do Chemistry at Durham as I won't have Maths A Level, Durham offers interesting accompanying subjects such as Anthropology that Bath lacks.

I also realise that Durham is probably held in higher esteem with employers but then Bath offer a highly attractive Year in Industry scheme!

I would like any advice from people who have maybe been in a similar situation or know any helpful stats about which is better for my subject overall.

THANK YOU!

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you really want to study Chemistry then go for Bath, and their year in industry is a very good opportunity. I had to choose between the 2 a few years back and went for Durham (though they let me do Chemistry) but part of me still isn't sure I made the right decision as I stuck with the set joint honours course which covered different stuff to what I was most interested in; I probably should've gone to Bath or just done BSc and chosen my own modules . There is a reason why Durham want A Level Maths, and I wouldn't be surprised if Bath make you do extra maths to compensate for not having A Leve.

Bath is still a very good university, I doubt many employers would be biased against it. In terms of which is better one thing that put me off Bath was that *apparently* their Chemistry department wasn't as good as Durham's, and looking at league tables (not that I want to put too much emphasis on them) they look fairly even for Biology.

I don't know much about Bath's course generally but for BSc NatSci Durham is VERY flexible. You can effectively do what you want as long as you meet prerequisites and abide to certain rules (like no more than 4 modules in a subject, though I know someone who's doing 5 bio modules and 1 maths to keep NatSci happy ). Any questions about Durham NatSci or Biology feel free to ask

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.