Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    i've received offers from both Cardiff and Nottingham for undergrad Architecture, but i'm completely torn between the two - any chance anyone can help or has any advice on either uni's that would help me make my choice? thanks!

ReputationRep:
    They are more or less on par in terms of reputation. Visit the two and decide on the one you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I go to Nottingham but I can't speak for Cardiff, besides from hearsay. Notts focuses on environmental aspects and structure is taken strongly into consideration however we have units which range from conceptual to practical. If you want more info please ask more specific questions as I could go on about what I like or dislike about the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenman27)
    I go to Nottingham but I can't speak for Cardiff, besides from hearsay. Notts focuses on environmental aspects and structure is taken strongly into consideration however we have units which range from conceptual to practical. If you want more info please ask more specific questions as I could go on about what I like or dislike about the course.
    thanks for your reply! Yeah i'm definitely leaning more towards Nottingham because of its focus on environmental aspects but i've not heard great things about the tutors etc (well and architecture courses in general) so it would be great if you could tell me about the studio and what you generally like and dislike about the course. Also I don't do maths at a-levels, and I want a design based course but you said structure is strongly taken in consideration, which is good but is it heavily maths/science based?

ReputationRep:
    I've had a look around Cardiff, never been to Nottingham. Cardiff uni seems pretty good, the town is nicer then you think, there's plenty of countryside near campus, some great scenery and the staff are very friendly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by issys)
    thanks for your reply! Yeah i'm definitely leaning more towards Nottingham because of its focus on environmental aspects but i've not heard great things about the tutors etc (well and architecture courses in general) so it would be great if you could tell me about the studio and what you generally like and dislike about the course. Also I don't do maths at a-levels, and I want a design based course but you said structure is strongly taken in consideration, which is good but is it heavily maths/science based?
    Ok, in general I like the tutors. I think that my unit tutors from both years have been helpful though I do admit I've heard people who couldn't stand theirs. However from my experience of Nottingham it has exceeded my low expectations of architectural teaching from what people say about architecture courses in general. I think the studio side of things is decent. I'm generally happy with the amount of contact we have with our tutors and the tutorials/crits and workshops we have (though the quality of workshops, I think, depend hugely on which tutor you choose e.g. my unit is the only one that does extra workshops on CAD/3D modelling etc.)

The weakness in my opinion was some of the taught modules. The lectures are generally good but I feel there needs to be a bit more integration of some modules within our design units, allowing us to apply this concepts into our designs. This is getting better though, especially with some new staff.

From what I can see Nottingham doesn't have a "house" style, besides obviously trying to incorporate structural knowledge, so I think you'll be able to find the right unit for you once you reach 2nd/3rd year as first year units are allocated and all units do the same things. We have units that do Bartlett-esque projects to ones that focus on practicality and units that fit in between.

What I dislike is the other stuff basically! Whilst our studio space is of a decent size it's still quite cramped when 2 years have to fit into the space on the same day. We recently got a modelling workshop but I think there still needs to be more facilities e.g. the lasercutting is always full.

The course is not heavily maths or science based, you shouldn't need A-level Maths to understand what's going on. Though a basic understanding of physics theories will probably help in second year.

Its a tough decision I bet, though I don't know much about Cardiff it does have a great reputation even though I have to say I've heard very little from them since I joined Nottingham. Feel free to ask me anything else if you need to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chenman27)
    Ok, in general I like the tutors. I think that my unit tutors from both years have been helpful though I do admit I've heard people who couldn't stand theirs. However from my experience of Nottingham it has exceeded my low expectations of architectural teaching from what people say about architecture courses in general. I think the studio side of things is decent. I'm generally happy with the amount of contact we have with our tutors and the tutorials/crits and workshops we have (though the quality of workshops, I think, depend hugely on which tutor you choose e.g. my unit is the only one that does extra workshops on CAD/3D modelling etc.)

The weakness in my opinion was some of the taught modules. The lectures are generally good but I feel there needs to be a bit more integration of some modules within our design units, allowing us to apply this concepts into our designs. This is getting better though, especially with some new staff.

From what I can see Nottingham doesn't have a "house" style, besides obviously trying to incorporate structural knowledge, so I think you'll be able to find the right unit for you once you reach 2nd/3rd year as first year units are allocated and all units do the same things. We have units that do Bartlett-esque projects to ones that focus on practicality and units that fit in between.

What I dislike is the other stuff basically! Whilst our studio space is of a decent size it's still quite cramped when 2 years have to fit into the space on the same day. We recently got a modelling workshop but I think there still needs to be more facilities e.g. the lasercutting is always full.

The course is not heavily maths or science based, you shouldn't need A-level Maths to understand what's going on. Though a basic understanding of physics theories will probably help in second year.

Its a tough decision I bet, though I don't know much about Cardiff it does have a great reputation even though I have to say I've heard very little from them since I joined Nottingham. Feel free to ask me anything else if you need to
    Hey, I have applied for architecture at nottingham trent. Would you say there's more guys than girls that do the course generally at trent or is it balanced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monzz)
    Hey, I have applied for architecture at nottingham trent. Would you say there's more guys than girls that do the course generally at trent or is it balanced?
    I go to Nottingham not Nottingham Trent so I wouldn't know, we don't really mix.

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.