Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Men are better than Women Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justinawe)
    Not that I'm agreeing with the guy you quote, but average exam results are hardly the best measure of intelligence/"cleverness". Real world achievement far outweighs that.
    There have historically (and some may argue still are) many more barriers to female real world achievement though. Which makes it a not particularly great cross gender measure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    I know you are trolling, but the fact that a proportion of people do actually think like this is what makes the book so unfunny.

PS I would be willing to bet I am better at cooking, more intelligent, more culturally aware, better read and more creative than you from encountering your other posts.
    How am I trolling? Because I'm saying something you disagree with?

If women are better or even equal to men why do we segregate them when it comes to sports for example? Because it would be downright cruel to assume that the world's best female heavyweight boxer can come close to competing with one of the Klitchko brothers (the current heavyweight world champs).

I would love to see your theory put to the test and throw a female boxer into a ring with a male professional, I hope you'd assume responsiblity for the ensuing hospital bills (institutions that are largely run by men lets not forget)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    There have historically (and some may argue still are) many more barriers to female real world achievement though. Which makes it a not particularly great cross gender measure.
    True, which is why I said I didn't agree with the person he quoted.

ReputationRep:
    Not that I'm agreeing with the guy you quote, but average exam results are hardly the best measure of intelligence/"cleverness". Real world achievement far outweighs that.
    The results also show that the most intelligent are men so women would never stand out in the real world and yes Exam Results=Relative Intelligence.The amount of revision you do is part of your intelligence to realise the importance of your exams and the finding of revision resources is also a skill and then there is the core memory intelligence and skills, that come before revising and this mix generates intelligence.The fact that women are on average better than men at exams probably makes them better than men because academia is the best.

ReputationRep:
    I think every person whether male or female, have their own advantages and disadvantages. It's the most wonderful creation.
    Vietnam travel packages-Vietnam holidays-Halong cruises

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    Women are more clever than Men though on average look at the average GCSE,A-Level and University results.
    That doesn't show women are more clever than men; that only shows that they are, on average, more academically successful than men. There is a difference.

It's pretty impossible to determine who is 'smarter' (not least because it's hard to define what intelligence exactly is). Women have not been given the opportunity to impact the world the sme way men have in history, but the flaw with using exam results as a measurement of intelligence is also apparent.

The results also show that the most intelligent are men so women would never stand out in the real world and yes Exam Results=Relative Intelligence.The amount of revision you do is part of your intelligence to realise the importance of your exams and the finding of revision resources is also a skill and then there is the core memory intelligence and skills, that come before revising and this mix generates intelligence.The fact that women are on average better than men at exams probably makes them better than men because academia is the best.
    What the hell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chefdave)
    How am I trolling? Because I'm saying something you disagree with?

If women are better or even equal to men why do we segregate them when it comes to sports for example? Because it would be downright cruel to assume that the world's best female heavyweight boxer can come close to competing with one of the Klitchko brothers (the current heavyweight world champs).

I would love to see your theory put to the test and throw a female boxer into a ring with a male professional, I hope you'd assume responsiblity for the ensuing hospital bills (institutions that are largely run by men lets not forget)
    I just assumed you were trying to wind me up with your overly mysogynist viewpoint to be honest.

You must be aware that historically women never had the opportunity that men did to do all those things as a result of lack of birth control and being physically weaker? It doesn't mean they couldn't do them. Society is still moving forward in that respect today.

Hey I never claimed women were physically equal, they aren't and there's nothing we can do about that, that's evolution for you.
    That is a very different kettle of fish to what you were claiming though, which is that men are also superior in terms of mental capacity.

ReputationRep:
    That really depends though... exams aren't important for everyone. For example, sport is generally a more viable pursuit for men (not saying it isn't viable for women, of course) due to their generally superior physical strength. imo while grades are partly down to intelligence, for the most part they reflect a person's priorities.

ReputationRep:
    Men are on the whole stronger, faster, more agile.

Women on the whole are more suited to looking after babies, children ect.

It's just mother nature.

But by 'better' you mean 'superior' as a 'human' then NO! As a man i have INCREDIBLE respect for women.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malabarista)
    Why don't you check out this book too?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-Stupid-...3443267&sr=8-1
    Difference is, one book has thousands of years of systematic oppression supporting and reinforcing its ideas. The other one doesn't.

ReputationRep:
    That really depends though... exams aren't important for everyone. For example, sport is generally a more viable pursuit for men (not saying it isn't viable for women, of course) due to their generally superior physical strength. imo while grades are partly down to intelligence, for the most part they reflect a person's priorities.
    If exams aren't at least a high priority for a person, providing they aren't superstar celebrities or something then they can';t be that intelligent, they can be intelligent but not too intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnetennba)
    Difference is, one book has thousands of years of systematic oppression supporting and reinforcing its ideas. The other one doesn't.
    This. Spot on.

Apologies, out of rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Benjy100)
    What significance do you apply to a ferry that is red in colour?
    How is that in any way relevant? If you want to discuss the origins of my username PM me or something...

ReputationRep:
    If exams aren't at least a high priority for a person, providing they aren't superstar celebrities or something then they can';t be that intelligent, they can be intelligent but not too intelligent.
    I'm pretty sure most "superstar celebrities" didn't have that status when they were in school?

Why would you say that? tbh I don't know a single rich/successful person (and I know quite a few) who was a top student in school... grades are only really important if you're looking to be successful in academia, which only a small percentage of people pursue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tnetennba)
    Yes ze great oppression when mass number of wimminz were forced to sacrifice their lives in times war for the men and when ze wimminz were forced to die working in hard menial jobs..........

Oh wait.

ReputationRep:
    Worthless thread is worthless thread.

Many feminists also have made books making bad generalisations about men. Not a single **** is given. This is a book clearly done in light humour. Also lol at the OP comparing Gender to race. Strong comparison. Women are too easily falling into the victimhood trap and I hazard a guess that it's because feminism continuously reinforces the idea that women have and always will be oppressed.

A lost cause arguing with people like this.

ReputationRep:
    Old news hes rich from it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ultimate1)

Many feminists also have made books making bad generalisations about men. Not a single **** is given. This is a book clearly done in light humour. Also lol at the OP comparing Gender to race. Strong comparison. Women are too easily falling into the victimhood trap and I hazard a guess that it's because feminism continuously reinforces the idea that women have and always will be oppressed.

So let me get this straight, because some feminists made generalisations about men, writing a book that is based entirely on mysogynist humour is therefore not only ok, but should be found funny by everyone?

You know that this book would not be ok if it were written in terms of sexuality, race, or any other common means of discrimination. Which only furthers my point of why is this ok? Why does everyone on Amazon love it seemingly?

I don't enjoy the way the book pokes fun at either gender given how big an issue attitudes like this actually still are.

ReputationRep:
    Yes ze great oppression when mass number of wimminz were forced to sacrifice their lives in times war for the men and when ze wimminz were forced to die working in hard menial jobs..........

Oh wait.
    Oh yeah wait they were just forced to die in childbirth instead.

ReputationRep:

Then why are you arguing?

In some countries, women are still treated as slaves similar to how specific races have been treated in the past, or still are treated. In what way is it "lol" to compare? I believe it's very relevant. I'll show you one example, out of thousands; http://www.businessinsider.com/egypt...ity-bad-2013-3

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.