Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    Well I share your opinion to the extent that the people who wrote those reviews, provided that they are being serious, are idiots. I just don't think that there's anything inherently wrong with the articles on the website (I can't comment on the book but I assume that it conveys a similar message to those?)
    Yeah the book is similar. For me I just think I feel that in order to laugh at a widely held negative opinion that is put forward so forcefully and consistently over such a long period you have to be a bit of a ****. It's like when you meet people like that in real life it is pretty horrible.

I don't know I'm in a bad place with this sort of thing of late after a horrible experience with some very mysogynistic older men in a pub.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    are you disputing the facts he just stated?
    no just attributing it to historical barriers rather than men being inherently better. Except the physical stuff, that's evolution. Maybe you should read the rest of the thread where I already said this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Yeah the book is similar. For me I just think I feel that in order to laugh at a widely held negative opinion that is put forward so forcefully and consistently over such a long period you have to be a bit of a ****. It's like when you meet people like that in real life it is pretty horrible.

I don't know I'm in a bad place with this sort of thing of late after a horrible experience with some very mysogynistic older men in a pub.
    I definitely wouldn't personally read the book or even the website because it's not my kind of humour but I can sort of see why some people find it funny.

I'm not sure if it was you who mentioned it but the whole "TrueLad" thing was brought up earlier and I do have a problem with that since it seems to blur the line between satire and reality, as the author(s) of those things clearly often believe what they are saying. That's a problem since it perpetuates the whole 'being an ******* to women' thing without any sense of irony.

ReputationRep:
    x
    its clearly a joke, get a sense of humour (ironically something that men are much better at having)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Algorithm69)
    Have you seen Thunderf00t's new video of him absolutely destroying Anita's arguments?
    Haha that video is spot on tbf, so many femisists can't see the world through anything other than a female lense. I've always struggled with that, a lot of feminist dialogue I feel like wait wtf, that's harsh to guys, they aren't crazy and sex obsessed or selfish or whatever a lot of women make them out to be. They're just people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    its clearly a joke, get a sense of humour (ironically something that men are much better at having)
    Wait, what?

1. I already acknowledge it was meant to be satire
    2. Not every joke is funny. If I graphically joked I slept with your mum last night would you automatically fall about laughing because it was a joke?
    3. Since when were men better at having a sense of humour?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by venenecinema)
    I definitely wouldn't personally read the book or even the website because it's not my kind of humour but I can sort of see why some people find it funny.

I'm not sure if it was you who mentioned it but the whole "TrueLad" thing was brought up earlier and I do have a problem with that since it seems to blur the line between satire and reality, as the author(s) of those things clearly often believe what they are saying. That's a problem since it perpetuates the whole 'being an ******* to women' thing without any sense of irony.
    It wasn't me, but I do hate TrueLad. You just have to look around you at Uni to see the impact of that sort of mindset.
    I do worry about the amount of men I meet who don't see ****ing an unconscious/chundering women as wrong.

Apparently that also means I have no sense of humour though, according to the owner of this book when I tried to burn it. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I had the misfortune of coming across this book on a bookshelf:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Men-Are-Bett.../dp/1416953817

It stems from this blog: http://www.menarebetterthanwomen.com/

Now I know it is meant to be 'satire' and he isn't being serious, but I could never articulate the 1001 things that make this a terrible book and concept.

It already informed me that I am a fascist (because of my gender) so I was thinking of writing a satire on how white people are better than black people and seeing how well that is received?
    Think it would manage a 4/5 star rating on amazon?

I haven't read the thread, but "**** Masterson" is a character. The book and concept are intended to be humorous. The guy is actually married.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chief Wiggum)
    I haven't read the thread, but "**** Masterson" is a character. The book and concept are intended to be humorous.
    Read through the rest of the thread to see my thoughts on this point. I appreciate that fact.

ReputationRep:
    Has this been posted yet?

That is "**** Masterson", the author of the book. The ending is pretty funny lol.

ReputationRep:
    no just attributing it to historical barriers rather than men being inherently better. Except the physical stuff, that's evolution. Maybe you should read the rest of the thread where I already said this?
    what is it that you are defending here?

that everyone should have the same pro feminazi sense of humor, or something else?

ReputationRep:
    Wait, what?

1. I already acknowledge it was meant to be satire
    2. Not every joke is funny. If I graphically joked I slept with your mum last night would you automatically fall about laughing because it was a joke?
    3. Since when were men better at having a sense of humour?
    1. I know you did, so why are you complaining? It's satire, it's not meant to be taken seriously.
    2. No, but I would accept that it was a joke and not get all worked up over it.
    3. They just are tbh. For example, look at the reaction to 'Lad Bible', women (obviously not all, but most it seems) can't take it as a joke.

ReputationRep:

That is "**** Masterson", the author of the book. The ending is pretty funny lol.
    Yeah that ending is brilliant haha

ReputationRep:

That's one hell of a comeback lol. He's quick on his feet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manchesterunited15)
    1. I know you did, so why are you complaining? It's satire, it's not meant to be taken seriously.
    2. No, but I would accept that it was a joke and not get all worked up over it.
    3. They just are tbh. For example, look at the reaction to 'Lad Bible', women (obviously not all, but most it seems) can't take it as a joke.
    Well I understand why some women struggle to take it as a joke having been in an environment around 'Lads' who actually live their lives like that, and amongst many groups of which having sex with incapacitated girls is something to aim for, sexually harassing girls is ok, and above all who actually believe that all women enjoy getting catcalls and sexual harassment deep down, they are just hiding it.
    If anything I would say that not finding it funny shows a more sophisticated level of humour as that kind of humour isn't exactly intelligent.

Having a different sense of humour does not mean one is better than the other.

ReputationRep:
    what is it that you are defending here?

that everyone should have the same pro feminazi sense of humor, or something else?
    Wait what are you even on? I wasn't defending anything...

How is my sense of humour pro femenazi? Excuse me? Why are you flinging insults around when all I have said is that 1. I don't find this book funny and in order to find it funny you can't take gender equality very seriously and 2. people who take this book seriously are dicks.
    I would have thought both of those were fairly common sense and inoffensive statements.

What's next, you about to start calling me a misandrist too?

Because I don't find a book that pokes fun at an ongoing issue in a lot of people's lives I am a femenazi?

What is wrong with you?

ReputationRep:

Thank you for sharing that. I haven't laughed so much in ages...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for sharing that. I haven't laughed so much in ages...
    The woman at the end O_o
    I mean I just thought the book was ****, I don't feel that strongly about it.

Also I would add seeing him saying those things adds more of an element of humour especially with his appearance. I think it works better as a parody than the book does.

ReputationRep:
    His real name is Dax Herrera, btw.

ReputationRep:
    His real name is Dax Herrera, btw.
    Haha I just looked him up and found a forum lamenting that he is a actually a 'white knight' and not actually **** Masterton, who apparently is an amazing person.

HOW do people not realise this is satire??

It's one thing to be like 'this is **** banter' and another to be like 'wheey what a champion'/compare this man to Hitler.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.