Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

BMW 5 series (F10) security? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I had a set of my BMW 5 series keys stolen, luckily they only took 1 set of keys, as I was out driving in the car at the time.

I went to BMW to get the key blocked and my key reprogrammed along with another new spare key.

Now as far as i'm aware, the blank key hack does NOT affect the F10 models? The BMW representative told me that the stolen key can be used to open and unlock the car, however they cannot start the ignition when inside.

Just wanting to know if anyone can shed some extra light on this? I have researched the internet, especially piston heads where there is like 80+ pages of people reporting their stolen cars, however it all seems to be on models made before september 2011 (mainly e series).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TinFish)
    Hi, I had a set of my BMW 5 series keys stolen, luckily they only took 1 set of keys, as I was out driving in the car at the time.

I went to BMW to get the key blocked and my key reprogrammed along with another new spare key.

Now as far as i'm aware, the blank key hack does NOT affect the F10 models? The BMW representative told me that the stolen key can be used to open and unlock the car, however they cannot start the ignition when inside.

Just wanting to know if anyone can shed some extra light on this? I have researched the internet, especially piston heads where there is like 80+ pages of people reporting their stolen cars, however it all seems to be on models made before september 2011 (mainly e series).
    I just noticed this thread.
    Sorry you didn't get a useful reply here.

Have you looked on BMW owners club forums and similiar since you will find people with more expertise there.

Also, have you tried emailing BMW directly and asking?

ReputationRep:
    If you can open and unlock a car then you can also put the key in and take off the steering lock and release the handbrake which opens up the possibility of someone putting it on the back of a low loader.

I think I'd want the locks changed.

ReputationRep:
    Surely if the cars had the key blocked then the cars doors should open, but if the BMW rep said this then we will have to accept that as a fact.

As far as putting that key in the ignition to start the car, the ECU will not allow for the car to start and for the steering lock to come off. The handbrake however can be released as it is mechanical and has nothing to do with the cars computers.

If you do decide to have the door locks changed, then it is likely to be an expensive job especially with such a new car.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.