Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone out there had experience studying an MA Creative Writing (or closely related subject)? I've applied to MMU and am pretty excited about the whole thing. Additionally, I'd love to hear from any MMU postgrads about their experience with the uni, course etc.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty883)
    [...] I was wondering if anyone out there had experience studying an MA Creative Writing (or closely related subject)? I've applied to MMU and am pretty excited about the whole thing. Additionally, I'd love to hear from any MMU postgrads about their experience with the uni, course etc.

Cheers
    I did an English degree at MMU, and took creative writing units in my first and second years. If postgraduate study is similar to my undergraduate experience then I could not imagine a bigger waste of money and time than 'studying' creative writing. In fact, unless you have no money concerns, it is hard to justify studying any arts and humanities subject at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I did an English degree at MMU, and took creative writing units in my first and second years. If postgraduate study is similar to my undergraduate experience then I could not imagine a bigger waste of money and time than 'studying' creative writing. In fact, unless you have no money concerns, it is hard to justify studying any arts and humanities subject at the moment.
    Haha, you have a fair point. I've already done an undergrad degree in creative writing though so I'm afraid I'm set on the decision. Plan to do my PhD in it too, eventually...

Can I ask, did you study at the All Saints or Crewe campus? And how did you find the quality of teaching at MMU, overall?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty883)
    Haha, you have a fair point. I've already done an undergrad degree in creative writing though so I'm afraid I'm set on the decision. Plan to do my PhD in it too, eventually...

Can I ask, did you study at the All Saints or Crewe campus? And how did you find the quality of teaching at MMU, overall?
    I have studied at both (computing at All Saints, though I did some lessons in the humanities building). Teaching quality at Crewe was okay. Feedback was good. I suppose you you want to study in Manchester though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by evantej)
    I have studied at both (computing at All Saints, though I did some lessons in the humanities building). Teaching quality at Crewe was okay. Feedback was good. I suppose you you want to study in Manchester though?
    Yes, Postgrad creative writing is all at the Manchester site

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.