Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

ReputationRep:
    Okay so I have been cutting down my fat intake and eating more protein and fruit and veg more than anything else. I normally eat around 10-15g of fat a day, some days less.

I have lost weight but I have excess fat on my hips (love handles) and my thighs. I don't want to make my thighs bigger by bulking them up! I just want to know any exercises I could do to help tone/lose this? Maybe not too 'high impact' as I have a poorly knee

Thanks you

P.s why all this neg repping? Genuine question

ReputationRep:
    If you have excess fat they you just need to continue losing weight. Exercise more and eat less. Swimming is good if you have a bad knee .

Be aware though that most people, even those who are a completely healthy weight, have areas in which they hold more fat- and dieting further would push them to an unhealthy weight. But only you know how much you weigh; just make sure you're not going too low.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    If you have excess fat they you just need to continue losing weight. Exercise more and eat less. Swimming is good if you have a bad knee .

Be aware though that most people, even those who are a completely healthy weight, have areas in which they hold more fat- and dieting further would push them to an unhealthy weight. But only you know how much you weigh; just make sure you're not going too low.
    I see well I have quite a curvy figure so when I do put weight on I put it on my hips and thighs, even when I have been a lot lighter I have always had large hips and thighs when I used to work out 6 days a week lol..

I will take on board that advice though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainbows!)
    Okay so I have been cutting down my fat intake and eating more protein and fruit and veg more than anything else. I normally eat around 10-15g of fat a day, some days less.

I have lost weight but I have excess fat on my hips (love handles) and my thighs. I don't want to make my thighs bigger by bulking them up! I just want to know any exercises I could do to help tone/lose this? Maybe not too 'high impact' as I have a poorly knee

Thanks you
    Eating low fat will not make you lose fat off your body.

Your body doesn't work that way, it's not like if you eat a cake the body filters all the fat out of the cake and sticks it on your hips.

It's actually a really bad idea to starve yourself of one vital nutrient. Your body needs a balanced intake of fat, carbs and protein to function properly. In fact by cutting out fat you have probably made your body more determined to hold onto the fat it has left.
    "Low fat" products often have loads of crap and sugar added to them to make them taste ok after removing the fat (which is what makes them taste nice in their original state).

Do not be afraid of fat in your diet!

If you want to lose body fat you need to create a calorie deficit. Burn more calories than you consume.
    Essentially you could just eat crap and still lose weight, but if you want to keep the weight off you need to make a lifestyle change so it makes much more sense to eat balanced (which it seems like you have half done, but have become afraid of fat?!).

Training your thighs will NOT bulk them up. I have been lifting weights for over 2 years now and my things are slimmer (and firmer) than ever. I have gained muscle but lost fat and my thighs look awesome IMO :p:

Exercise to try could be a kettlebell class, consider starting lifting weights at the gym coupled with just moving more in general. Since you have a bad knee try swimming, but vary the intensity - sprint a length then swim slowly for 2 and repeat.
    What exactly is wrong with your knee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Becca)
    Eating low fat will not make you lose fat off your body.

Your body doesn't work that way, it's not like if you eat a cake the body filters all the fat out of the cake and sticks it on your hips.

It's actually a really bad idea to starve yourself of one vital nutrient. Your body needs a balanced intake of fat, carbs and protein to function properly. In fact by cutting out fat you have probably made your body more determined to hold onto the fat it has left.
    "Low fat" products often have loads of crap and sugar added to them to make them taste ok after removing the fat (which is what makes them taste nice in their original state).

Do not be afraid of fat in your diet!

If you want to lose body fat you need to create a calorie deficit. Burn more calories than you consume.
    Essentially you could just eat crap and still lose weight, but if you want to keep the weight off you need to make a lifestyle change so it makes much more sense to eat balanced (which it seems like you have half done, but have become afraid of fat?!).

Training your thighs will NOT bulk them up. I have been lifting weights for over 2 years now and my things are slimmer (and firmer) than ever. I have gained muscle but lost fat and my thighs look awesome IMO :p:

Exercise to try could be a kettlebell class, consider starting lifting weights at the gym coupled with just moving more in general. Since you have a bad knee try swimming, but vary the intensity - sprint a length then swim slowly for 2 and repeat.
    What exactly is wrong with your knee?
    Thanks for the reply and advice! Basically I had physio on my knee for a long time from an old sports injury and it has never been normal. So i get like sharp stabbing pains in it sometimes if I run or apply too much 'heavy pressure' on it and my leg can lock or I can't walk for a couple of days. I don't really eat many low fat snacks or anything, except maybe ryvita crackers or 'baked' crisps which seem to be less calories than normal crisps.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.