Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Can anyone tell me when voltage-gated channels open?

I.e., do they open during depolarisation or repolarisation, because I thought that the reversal of membrane potential caused the voltage-gated channels to open, but if the voltage-gated channels cause the action potential by opening and reversing the membrane potential then how do these channels open in the first place?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyybowdy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    Hi

Can anyone tell me when voltage-gated channels open?

I.e., do they open during depolarisation or repolarisation, because I thought that the reversal of membrane potential caused the voltage-gated channels to open, but if the voltage-gated channels cause the action potential by opening and reversing the membrane potential then how do these channels open in the first place?

thanks
    The voltage (or membrane potential) at which 2 different channels open will be different. For example, a sodium channel opens with an action potential (ie when membrane potential reaches around -40mV), allowing depolarisation. But a Potassium channel opens after depolarisation, when the membrane potential is around +40mV.

So the voltage at which it opens is dependant on the type of channel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    The voltage (or membrane potential) at which 2 different channels open will be different. For example, a sodium channel opens with an action potential (ie when membrane potential reaches around -40mV), allowing depolarisation. But a Potassium channel opens after depolarisation, when the membrane potential is around +40mV.

So the voltage at which it opens is dependant on the type of channel.

Thanks so is it the generator potential which needs to reach the threshold (-55mv) to cause the sodium channels to open?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aWildPidgey)
    Thanks so is it the generator potential which needs to reach the threshold (-55mv) to cause the sodium channels to open?
    no problemo!

Yup,
    [EDIT: deleted, I made an error there ]

And so -55mV is called the threshold, why? Because this is the voltage (aka membrane potential) at which most of the sodium channels open (which of course are voltage-gated channels).
    As most of the sodium channels open here, depolarisation can occur up to +40mV (generally).

So the reason a weak stimulus doesn't result in depolarisation is that it still does produce a slight rise in voltage, but not enough to open many sodium channels.

Cool?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about that, pidgey

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.