The Student Room Group

Redox help please!

I'm soo confused with electrode potentials and what happens at the cathode and anode.

I've read that the cathode is positively charged, and reduction occurs here... but isn't reduction gain of electrons, so shouldn't the electrode be more negative with the added electrons?

And the anode is negatively charged and oxidation occurs here... again shouldn't it be positively charged if electrons are being removed?

I'm sooo confused!!
Reply 1
Original post by Melissa.S.
I'm soo confused with electrode potentials and what happens at the cathode and anode.

I've read that the cathode is positively charged, and reduction occurs here... but isn't reduction gain of electrons, so shouldn't the electrode be more negative with the added electrons?

And the anode is negatively charged and oxidation occurs here... again shouldn't it be positively charged if electrons are being removed?

I'm sooo confused!!

cathode is where reduction occurs and theres a gain of electrons, yes because electrons are lost from the anode (hence reduction). This is why the flow of electrons is from the anode to cathode because its lost at anode and gained at cathode :smile:

I dont use the charges (it confuses me) but remember OIL RIG

Quick Reply

Latest