Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so im looking in to getting a distance learning Bsc Adult Nursing degree, however from the website and when i enquired about it they stated the terms of entry are:

"The degree programme is only available in partnership with employers who will pay the fees and will support the students in the workplace, and it addresses the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) requirements for entry to the nursing professional register.This qualification is only offered by the University in association with partnering employers. You cannot fund this study yourself."

So basically you have to be in a medical envirnment with emplyoers who are interested in you furthering your education and getting a registered nurse status. I am not in that position, and i was wondering if anyone else has wanted to study for the Bsc Nursing in OU and managed through a different route to achieve it; or better yet perhaps if anyone know which healthcare organisations actually support this scheme that i can perhaps look in to getting a job there and gaining entrance that way? I live in the Manchester area btw.

Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    Just a friendly bump

Has noone here heard of or actually studied for Bsc Nursing through Open Uni then?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of it!! Although it's not well known, there's quite a lot of OU degrees which have restricted entry. With these work based degrees, the OU requires that the employer provides someone to supervise the student during the work based parts of their degree. The employer often pays as well. So if you don't work in health care, you can't do the degree. It might be worth searching Facebook for a group that's doing the degree and perhaps people there will tell you which NHS organisations they're with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nitebot)
    I've heard of it!! Although it's not well known, there's quite a lot of OU degrees which have restricted entry. With these work based degrees, the OU requires that the employer provides someone to supervise the student during the work based parts of their degree. The employer often pays as well. So if you don't work in health care, you can't do the degree. It might be worth searching Facebook for a group that's doing the degree and perhaps people there will tell you which NHS organisations they're with.
    Hm yeah i guess thats one way of finding out, will try that out see where i get so thanks alot for replying!

Anyone perhaps know someone doing this route with more information?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I've just found this which might be of interest to you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    I've just found this which might be of interest to you
    Crikey, that's tough going to become a nurse. There's probably some trainee nurses in the Health Services forum as well.

ReputationRep:
    my NHS trust does training through the OU as well as local unis.

One person on my ward is doing it via the OU, she has to do 1 shift a week with us as well as placements and study. I'd prefer an actual uni though, it's quicker for one.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, which Trust you're working? I was trying to check Open University Adult Nursing and yeah they require an employer to support you. I have asked the Practice Development Team on our Trust but this is something that they still don't support at the moment. I would like to forward a request at my workplace because I was advised to raise this under our Director of Nursing. TIA

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.