Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my boyfriend is worrying about university. He will get £3788 in loan from student finance and that is it, the accommodation at Harper Adams for self catered is £4,071 a year. How many weeks do you actually spend at uni and how much more money does he need? his parents won't give him anything even tho they earn 55k+ a year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    basically, how much do you think you live off each week at university? including money for food, going out, books, su etc

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I havent applied for student finance yet but i've been saving like mad for uni. I'm also looking at catered accomerdation so i dont need to worry too much about meals. I think about £500 for SU & clubs membership & Books. Maybe upto £600 if you include freshers and a few good nights out before you start to settle into uni life. My brother spent about 2k in his first term but that also included his deposit for accomerdation & plenty of nights out.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    My honest answer although its a bad one is .. Take a year out.

I was in the same predicament. My boyfriend gets full loan and grant, my parents wouldn't support me at uni (50k p/a income) and they ended up kicking me out because I wanted to study medicine and not work straight after college. I now live alone and I'm off to uni this year. I would NEVER have been able to afford it on minimum loan.

The best way is to work a year, and save up as much as he can. Then go to uni, then during the summers .. Work again, and save up... Etc. also use overdrafts as they can be a big help but don't just use them because they are there! Xx

ReputationRep:
    His parents are being stingy. Depending on the university installments are paid quarterly and they are usually less than £2000 in one payment. Seeing as they are on a middle income they could afford to at least contribute to that. Just because he is 18 it doesn't mean they suddenly have to give up on him and his future.

If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.