Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

'Spotted:.....' Are our lives are becoming less private? Watch

ReputationRep:
    You cant deny that in recent years people have had more and more access to information on the goings on in people's lives. But a more recent internet craze called 'spotted:' is taking things to a new level and is becoming more and more popular. Users post photo's of others and stories about others on the internet for many people to see. There's Spotted: On the train, Spotted: At university, Spotted: On the Bus. What next 'Spotted: In the toilet'?

I have to confess some of the stories and photo's are hilarious. But are we ever going to be able to pick our nose at university without the worry that it will appear on the internet for thousands of people to see? And When you get the train to work and realise when you get there that your flies are undone and your dongler had been hanging out. You don't just have to worry about who saw you on the way, but about who got a photo and posted it on the internet!

Thoughts?

Creepy social voyeurism.

People collectively creating their own online Panopticon.

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people want to be famous - there you have what it's like. The difference being people would actually follow you to see you doing something unsavoury as opposed to incidentally see you doing something unsavoury.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, pages like Spotted:... are all anonymous, so it's no real issue in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PostgradMatt)
    You cant deny that in recent years people have had more and more access to information on the goings on in people's lives. But a more recent internet craze called 'spotted:' is taking things to a new level and is becoming more and more popular. Users post photo's of others and stories about others on the internet for many people to see. There's Spotted: On the train, Spotted: At university, Spotted: On the Bus. What next 'Spotted: In the toilet'?

I have to confess some of the stories and photo's are hilarious. But are we ever going to be able to pick our nose at university without the worry that it will appear on the internet for thousands of people to see? And When you get the train to work and realise when you get there that your flies are undone and your dongler had been hanging out. You don't just have to worry about who saw you on the way, but about who got a photo and posted it on the internet!

Thoughts?
    I don't think they should take photos without the person's permission, but other than that, so long as it is anonymous, I don't think there is a problem.

But unfortunately, people do post photos.

That is why I am too paranoid to take a nap on the tube to school just in case some retarded teenager takes a photo and puts it on Facebook.

Some of them are pretty offensive and rude. For example, I had seen one picture of a man who was overweight; someone had posted it online with a comment about how he is 'taking up two seats LOL' or something silly along those lines :rolleyes:

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.