Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

MALAYALI THREAD (Malayalees) / KERALA Watch

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    All the malyalees out there please join. Also anybody else who wants to learn more about Kerala and its people

Here are a few pictures which depict culture of kerala including its food :cool:

Name:  kerala-backwater-images.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  73.0 KB - Backwaters

Name:  kerala-culture.jpg
Views: 871
Size:  62.3 KB- Kathakali dancers

Name:  keralaelephants.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  19.3 KB- The famous elephant march

Name:  masala-dosa.jpg
Views: 808
Size:  14.9 KB- Dosa

Name:  Idli_Sambar.JPG
Views: 817
Size:  302.4 KB- Idlis

ReputationRep:
    I want to learn about Kerala. How come it is so developed compared to other states?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZazDogg)
    I want to learn about Kerala. How come it is so developed compared to other states?
    Kerala has 100% literacy compared to other states so it is really good for education. Also the society is somewhat matrilocal( mother is dominant in the family) which means it has a lot of gender equality. Btw are u from india?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZazDogg)
    To some extent, it gets disproportionate levels of rainfall compared to other areas of India, so it has been able to build its wealth and infrastructure (including education) off the back of advantageous agricultural conditions.

I've been to Kerala twice, and Tamil Nadu once. The difference between them - in terms of greenness and obvious signs of abject poverty - is quite sharp.

Love the food, not such a great fan of the eve teasing. When did it become acceptable for men in their 20s to make lewd comments and occasionally grope 14yo girls? (Yes, I was dressed appropriately).

Also, does anyone know of any good S Indian restaurants? The one in Bristol (Krishna's Inn) went downhill when it started adding ridiculous quantities of chilli to its food. Last time I went there, I struggled to eat my meal - a dish which I had ordered before and enjoyed. The only S Indian on the Curry Mile in Manchester (Punjab) is about as authentic as a market stall 'Gucci' handbag.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    To some extent, it gets disproportionate levels of rainfall compared to other areas of India, so it has been able to build its wealth and infrastructure (including education) off the back of advantageous agricultural conditions.

I've been to Kerala twice, and Tamil Nadu once. The difference between them - in terms of greenness and obvious signs of abject poverty - is quite sharp.

Love the food, not such a great fan of the eve teasing. When did it become acceptable for men in their 20s to make lewd comments and occasionally grope 14yo girls? (Yes, I was dressed appropriately).

Also, does anyone know of any good S Indian restaurants? The one in Bristol (Krishna's Inn) went downhill when it started adding ridiculous quantities of chilli to its food. Last time I went there, I struggled to eat my meal - a dish which I had ordered before and enjoyed. The only S Indian on the Curry Mile in Manchester (Punjab) is about as authentic as a market stall 'Gucci' handbag.
    haha the eve teasing.. trust me they are frustrated people. It may get better. But dont form an opinion just because of that. There so many lovely people living there.

There are a couple in Northampton im sure of coz i lived there.. umm thats about it. There was one in Notts- The lantern.. but i heard its closing down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    haha the eve teasing.. trust me they are frustrated people. It may get better. But dont form an opinion just because of that. There so many lovely people living there.

There are a couple in Northampton im sure of coz i lived there.. umm thats about it. There was one in Notts- The lantern.. but i heard its closing down
    I know they're frustrated, but I was 14, looked younger than that, at an all-girls school, a bit wet behind the ears / green and all of a sudden I had loads of Indian men wanting their photos taken with me, asking my dad how much I was (it was just me and my dad travelling; they all seemed to assume that he was either my husband or my pimp), going in for the grope, and my dad did naff all about it I went when I was 12 and didn't receive that sort of attention, but it did spoil the second trip, and so I'd be put off returning for now, and I'd have to tell any other girls I knew who were thinking of going, so that they knew what they were getting into

It's a shame that there are very few S Indians - I always think it's much nicer than N Indian, but I guess it's a result of S India being more prosperous, so less reason to emigrate, so less people to set up S Indian restaurants (and I suspect that when S Indians do emigrate, they're better educated than most chefs).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    I know they're frustrated, but I was 14, looked younger than that, at an all-girls school, a bit wet behind the ears / green and all of a sudden I had loads of Indian men wanting their photos taken with me, asking my dad how much I was (it was just me and my dad travelling; they all seemed to assume that he was either my husband or my pimp), going in for the grope, and my dad did naff all about it I went when I was 12 and didn't receive that sort of attention, but it did spoil the second trip, and so I'd be put off returning for now, and I'd have to tell any other girls I knew who were thinking of going, so that they knew what they were getting into

It's a shame that there are very few S Indians - I always think it's much nicer than N Indian, but I guess it's a result of S India being more prosperous, so less reason to emigrate, so less people to set up S Indian restaurants (and I suspect that when S Indians do emigrate, they're better educated than most chefs).
    That is so true u knw.. most south indians i knw are doctors and dentists.. and also there a very few restaurants is that British people dont know nothing about kerala cuisine.. they all are fixed in their korma and tikka masalla bubble. I think there needs to be more awareness about every part of india and its cuisine dont u think?

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend from Kerala. That's all I can contribute.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lovefoxxx_93)
    I have a friend from Kerala. That's all I can contribute.
    Haha no worries. Has she ever told u about the place?

ReputationRep:
    Haha no worries. Has she ever told u about the place?
    I don't think she's talked about it that much but I've seen photos. Very pretty!

ReputationRep:
    Im from Kerala , where you guys from in Kerala?

ReputationRep:
    Malayalee Assosiction of TSR, lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    YES! finally some mallus on TSR
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    Im from Kerala , where you guys from in Kerala?
    nice one.. well im half malyalee. Was born in trivandrum. My mum's from kumarkom.. i think thats near kottayam.

Where are u from?

ReputationRep:
    nice one.. well im half malyalee. Was born in trivandrum. My mum's from kumarkom.. i think thats near kottayam.

Where are u from?
    Im from changnacherry :cool:

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Alleppey. :daydreaming:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amandeep_Psych07)
    I'm from Alleppey. :daydreaming:
    Get off! really? My mum's uncle lives there. Btw amandeep is a strange name for a malyalee, dont u think? :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Get off! really? My mum's uncle lives there. Btw amandeep is a strange name for a malyalee, dont u think? :ahee:
    No way?! :zomg: Have you been?

My mum's from kerala, dad's sikh.

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend from Kerala my brain explodes whenever she speaks malyalam with her family. sounds so ****ing twisty and jshflakjfhlkadjsfhkdsjhfbkdjhfkj adsh. i like it though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amandeep_Psych07)
    No way?! :zomg: Have you been?

My mum's from kerala, dad's sikh.
    haha yeah i used to live with my mums uncle till i was 1. My dads punjabi too

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 3, 2017
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.