Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

What are your thoughts on Inheritance Tax? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I want to know what people seem to think about Inheritance Tax, or just Inheritance in general.

I believe that taxing an inheritance is wrong as it is essentially taxing someone twice or more, this does not matter if they're dead or not. I think that people should have the right to decide where their belongings go after they die - they can then choose if it goes to their family/charity or split between both?

What are your thoughts on the matter?

ReputationRep:
    Inheritance tax bites on very few estates. Given a married couple have two allowances for them the threshold is circa £650,000.

It is not true that the estate has already been taxed, some of it has some of it has not. The increase in value of the deceased's house, beyond the price originally paid, has probably suffered no tax, in a lot of cases this will make up the bulk of the estate.

I think it is a clumsy tax and would prefer to see it replaced with some form of capital gains tax on death so only those untaxed gains fell into charge, though I think this would only work alongside capital gains tax, through life, on an individual's own home. (Probably like Sweden with a rollover of the charge where one house sold and a more expensive one purchased, the gain only coming into charge on downsizing/second death.)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's certainly morally dubious and not something i support but it's a pretty low priority tax for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJKL)
    Inheritance tax bites on very few estates. Given a married couple have two allowances for them the threshold is circa £650,000.
    Not sure if you meant to reword that- but a spouse doesn't pay any IHT, or do you mean to pass on to their kids?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billydisco)
    Not sure if you meant to reword that- but a spouse doesn't pay any IHT, or do you mean to pass on to their kids?
    I mean that if the estate of one part of the couple passes to the other on first death then on second death the estate of the remaining part of the couple has an allowance of twice the individual allowance i.e circa £650,000

Most couples without significant estates tend to leave their entire estate to the other, children tend to inherit on second death. Given there is no IHT liability inter spouse the proportion of the allowance of the first to die passes for use on the estate of the second to die, thus negating the need to either use it on first death to children, depriving the survivor of that part of joint assets, or jump through the hoops of using nil rate band discretionary trusts, as was the case prior to the unused individual allowance being transferable.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.